Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

So what do you do with an empty-nest?

Replies to: So what do you do with an empty-nest?

• twoforone99twoforone99 Registered User Posts: 73 Junior Member
    @momo2x2018 I am a SAHM of twins that are in their second year of college. So far it hasn't been as bad as I thought it would be. Luckily I live in the same town I grew up in so I have family around. My Mom takes a good amount of my time as she doesn't drive much anymore.
    I admit after helping the kids with the college search I was at loose ends for a bit. I did start walking and taking care of myself more. I also started going to yoga which is fun.
    Do you have any hobbies you would like to try?
  • twoforone99twoforone99 Registered User Posts: 73 Junior Member
    @oldmom4896 That is fantastic! I’ve read many of your post, my sister just finished her MSW at 55 years young. She went to school as her daughters went to college.

I have lost 50 lbs since my twins were seniors in high school. It is a great time to refocus on our health.
    My latest project is moving into a new house. I never really decorated my old house so I am having fun.
    Congrats again!
  • shawbridgeshawbridge Registered User Posts: 5,686 Senior Member
    My wife never stopped her career as a painter when the kids were young but definitely slowed down. It was a choice. Aalthough she had shows all through the kids' childhood, but her career had taken off now that the next is empty-- shows at high-end galleries in NY and London. We both could lose some weight.
  • compmomcompmom Registered User Posts: 10,607 Senior Member
    Took up art and Tai Chi, and transitioned to care of an elderly parent with dementia.
    edited December 2018
    Started a company with my son as a non-operating co-founder and with one of his business school friends as CEO. He joins the weekly call and advises the CEO.
  • VeryHappyVeryHappy Registered User Posts: 18,571 Senior Member
    @ads1970: Do you have any plans for your new available empty nest time?
  • momAlaznemomAlazne Registered User Posts: 27 Junior Member
    Try to keep busy with all my hobbies and house chores housekeeping little by little do all sorts of little things in the home and a tiny bit of gardening. I do not think I mention it before because when I started posting here was about a few practical things about DD being an international student in the midwest USA. I am SAHM with CHF ( heart failure), PH (pulmonary hypertension)and osteoarthritis allover and some other minor ailments also.So I am homebound. I only leave the house for medical appointments and the last thing I gave up was the grocery shopping. I live a very quiet life.
  • HImomHImom Registered User Posts: 34,234 Senior Member
    Sometimes when H is asked, "Wow, what do you do now that you're retired?" H replies with a huge smile--"Whatever I want! Thanks for asking!" If he doesn't want the discussion to continue, it ends there and they both walk away with a smile.

For me, I have founded a nonprofit that I work as hard or as little as I want to on and when folks ask what I'm up to, I say, "Nonprofits work are never done," smile and we walk away content as well. If I am curious and wanting to consider other options, I will ask them what they're up to and see if any of that appeals.
  • AtreuhAtreuh Registered User Posts: 265 Junior Member
    @Gudmom, a 5th grader is not like a junior in high school. Kids in grade school & middle school really need parental support/supervision after school. I'm guessing you are still quite busy. The posts above have some great advice! Best to you, as you navigate the changing landscape!
    @Gudmom, we live in an interesting time in which people measure their own worth by either what they do or what they own.The latter is more pernicious. And, at the same time, people have devalued the work of a caretaker. From our own much more limited experience with kids with serious medical issues and learning disabilities, we have some appreciation of how much time being a parent to your daughter must have been.

I would think that you should take a break. At some point, you might find that you want to spend some of our effort on something that seems meaningful to you. It could be creative activity, volunteer activity or work. But, I see no need to rush or let people make you feel bad.