right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
We’ve got a new look! Walk through the key updates here.

So what do you do with an empty-nest?

1767778798082»

Replies to: So what do you do with an empty-nest?

• ABBTeamABBTeam 1 replies0 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 1 New Member
    Parents often think that they’re becoming empty nesters but in all honesty, it’s just a new chapter in your parenting journey. College is a critical time in kids’ lives and they need some guidance (on top of exploring individually and having fun) to set themselves up well for the next chapter of their lives (post-college, academically and professionally). The consequences of just letting your kid go to college and “empty nesting” may result in the coming straight back to said nest for your financial and emotional support...so, don’t let go completely. There are still a lot of things they need to do in college just like the things they needed to do in high school to prepare them for college. Happy to share more about those things. Just don’t let your kid fall through the cracks during college because you didn’t know you needed to / how to support and they didn’t know what they needed to be doing to set their lives up well both personally and professionally.
    · Reply · Share
  • shawbridgeshawbridge 5644 replies53 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 5,697 Senior Member
    @ABBTeam, I agree. I found that I was doing a fair bit of coaching in undergrad and even grad school. Now that they are both working, I am doing less, but my ShawD is moving to San Francisco and wanted to review with me her strategy to find a job and when she needed a letter from her former Dean, she reviewed her email with me. We have also talked about strategies for saving. We have also discussed how to deal with her frustration at the management of the clinic where she now works -- she is a family nurse practitioner and loves working with patients but is frustrated at the management of this clinic compared to the one where she worked earlier. The good news, she realized she needs to fold that in to her strategy for finding the next job. My son is doing incredibly well in his work -- he and his partner have just raised $10 MM for their 1.5 yo startup. He called me to talk over a tough hiring decision and we have talked about what is going to happen with him and his GF.

We have the benefits of the Empty Nest -- more freedom to travel, weekday night dinners with friends, etc. But, the parenting just transitions to coaching and it doesn't end at college.
    · Reply · Share
  • VeryHappyVeryHappy 18272 replies320 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 18,592 Senior Member
    Nice article from Huffington Post about being an empty nester and coping.

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/kids-leaving-home-depression_n_5cf7ddaae4b067df5ca1c8c7
    · Reply · Share
  • Midwest67Midwest67 2785 replies11 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 2,796 Senior Member
    I’m still lonely.

Luckily, I have work & the hiking club. I haven’t given up! I know expanding my network of friends is not going to be easy!
    · Reply · Share
  • shawbridgeshawbridge 5644 replies53 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 5,697 Senior Member
    edited June 24
    One thing we are trying to do is travel with our kids. We have scheduled hiking in the Canadian Rockies with them. Were also are traveling ourselves -- had a couple of weeks in Italy last month.

One interesting milestone. I was in San Francisco to visit a prospective client and work with the company I co-founded this year (a good thing to do with an empty nest). The company my son co-founder had just done their next round of funding and the money had hit the bank so I joined the team for a celebratory beer. But, it was my birthday and my son took me out for dinner. The milestone: this marks the first time either of the kids has actually paid for my dinner.

I have been advocating pro bono or volunteer work for empty nesters, but my startup has a social mission and so I'm combining social mission and for profit enterprise. So far so good.

Per the Huffpost article, we are thinking of having Thanksgiving in the Bay Area since both kids will be there. We have rented a houseboat for a few winters and will see if they will rent to us for Thanksgiving.
    edited June 24
    · Reply · Share