Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

Diet/Exercise/Health/Wellness Support Thread

Replies to: Diet/Exercise/Health/Wellness Support Thread

• emeraldkity4emeraldkity4 Registered User Posts: 35,861 Senior Member
    But I need to tone my muscles, especially arms and abs, to look and feel pretty

me too- it is impressive how fast the middle can turn to jelly once I stopped going to the gym four tines a week.
    Also the German genes are threatening to give me Aunt Bees arms so I really have to stay on top of them.
    :p
  • paying3tuitionspaying3tuitions Registered User Posts: 13,330 Senior Member
    Thanks, VeryHappy. Yes I am like your name! Down to one tuition now, although the impact of the previous two still rears its hoary head in various ways. We're getting there, though!

Personal trainers make me nuts, because they don't get the disability. Physical therapists tell me to go to a regular gym, as I'm in too good shape for PT by now. Ah, the gray area.

My brother says it's all about toning. I need a toning salon.

Maybe we just need to check in here as "buddies." Kudos to the OP for raising The Topic.
  • sabaraysabaray Registered User Posts: 6,549 Senior Member
    Well, I think I'm doing some things right.

Already belong to a gym. Have an exercise buddy for the next three weeks to keep me honest. Already counting calories and eating a balanced, calorie restricted diet. Drink lots of water already.

I'm afraid to look at the Crossfit now! Paying 3, have you thought about Pilates? Or Yoga? Would those be options for you?
    Pilates too rough; Yoga's an option! I thought it was to relax and improve flexibility; does it also tone and morph fat cells into muscle?
  • tonerangertoneranger Registered User Posts: 3,723 Senior Member
    Knee is shot so running is out..although I can still walk long distances. I also do yoga. Bu neither give me the aerobic workout I need. I bike when it's warm (long distances with dear H!) but not enough to make a difference long term. Sooo...I'm thinking of trying a spinning class. Anyone do that?
    I have lost 10 lbs recently but would like to lose 15-20 more. The holidays have been brutal. Keeping sweet and fatty things around the house is really bad for the waistline. I need to clear it all out! I'm also ready to tear up all those Christmas pics...nothing like some pics to show you what you REALLY look like (it's quite easy to be delusional otherwise).
    Good luck Paying1tuition!
    ^LOL, yah, it's disingenuous but if I change my screenname I lose all those post-counts. Another crash diet.

Love this thread; it's giving me energy!
    I have lost 10 lbs recently but would like to lose 15-20 more.
    Awesome, toneranger! May you go from strength to strength! Do you have a method or just the usual good common sense...
  • sabaraysabaray Registered User Posts: 6,549 Senior Member
    Unfortunately I am not a Yoga practitioner. But I think there are several different types and some can be quite challenging.

The gym I belong to is affiliated with a hospital and they actually have a fair number of courses that are tailored to those with injuries or disability. I wonder if there might be a similar facility in your area that could offer something like that? Or perhaps a more understanding trainer?

Toneranger, I have done spinning and I really like it. Very challenging. I can't stand the monotony of just pedaling a stationary bike- would far rather be biking outdoors and spinning alleviates some of that monotony. There's a combo class with spinning/abs workout that I'm hoping to try when I won't embarrass myself completely.
    BTW, yoga can tone muscles - for example... poses like downward facing dog build arm strength. Really depends on the class but it's not just about flexibility. Getting a good teacher is key...and my experience is that yoga teachers tend to be compassionate and non-competitive...and very understanding of working around limitations. Yoga is not much of a fat burner though.

Try lifting weights to get those toned arms...I still have a ripped out magazine showing Katie Couric's routine...and it did wonders. Too bad I have tennis elbow and can't lift.
  • ucsd_ucla_daducsd_ucla_dad Registered User Posts: 8,573 Senior Member
    For toning of arms it's surprising what can be done with a simple set of 2 dumbells. I use 15 pound ones but you can try something closer to 5 or so depending on strength. Just repeat the lift with enough reps to feel it. As your strength improves you can do more reps with the same weights rather than have to go out and buy heavier ones. The weights are cheap (I use simple iron ones) and convenient. As long as they're done every day there'll be results.

For losing weight - try the South Beach Diet or a variant. It works pretty well and is livable for a lot of people. After you get to a target range you can modify the diet to suit your needs but it's important to not have the mental attitude that 'you're done' and revert back to the old ways that put the weight on in the first place. The change in eating habits needs to be permanent.

For losing weight both diet and exercise are great but focus on the diet part since you can actually lose all the weight by just focusing on eating habits even without doing any exercise at all. The same is generally difficult if you focus only on exercise and not the eating habits. Too many people want to tie the two tgether and make the weight loss dependent on the exercise and then fall down on the exercise part since it can be time consuming, a hassle (if going to a gym), and can get derailed with minor injuries. Once they stop or reduce their exercise they then stop or reduce their attention to eating habits. People that tie the two together often have their plans fall apart due to the exercise part.

When you do start to exercise take it relatively easy at first so you'll stick with it enough to become a habit and so you don't injure yourself and derail it. After a week or two you can increase the workouts as you feel comfortable. If you have 45 pounds to lose be extra careful about exercises that put stress on your joints like running. Consider exercises like walking, an elliptical, and weight training. The important point is to find a time and place where you can do it regularly. Eliminate excuses to not do it by working around appointments, meetings, etc. It's ideal if you can map out some walking paths in your neighborhood so you don't need to go to a gym for it. Granted, I live in San Diego so I can walk outside year-round with no concerns for snow and cold but see what you can do to make the regimen as convenient as possible.

Another advantage of a regular workout is that it keeps you more in tune with your body and will make you more aware of sudden fatigue, loss of breath, numbing in a leg or arm, etc. which can portend deeper health issues.

Weigh yourself once a week on the same day of the week and same time of the day and keep a record of it. Watch the trends. Keep a note of any unusual events (like Thanksgiving, a vacation, cruise, injury that stopped workouts, starting a new workout, etc.) so you can see how it affects the stats.

Keep the long term goal in mind. Focus on what the results will be in 3 months, 6 months, and a year if you stick with your path. Consider any effort to be a waste of time if the results aren't still there in a year and 3 years. Remember that losing a pound a week is 52 pounds a year. You don't need a crash and burn weight loss program to be successful and will likely be more successful finding a niche you can live with that'll still acieve your long term goals.
    does it also tone and morph fat cells into muscle?

Madonna does Ashtanga yoga, which is a bit more hard core than the Hatha I like-
  • 1moremom1moremom Registered User Posts: 3,958 Senior Member
    After reading over and over again how important strength training is for women I did a little research and found this program-- Programs: The StrongWomen Program, which is based on research done at Tufts and geared towards women who are middle-aged and older. I found a class in my area (taught at a church though cooperative extension; I am gym-averse) and am now able to do the workout on my own at home. I had been doing it two or three times a week; getting back to that is a New Year's resolution for me. (I also run three days a week and do a gentle yoga routine every morning. My only goal with the yoga is to avoid feeling stiff in the morning and lessen the likelihood of injury when I run.)
    paying 3 - just cutting out junky stuff that creeped into my diet (I'm not talking donuts here...just crackers and a few cookies here and there). Since I don't eat much junky stuff, going past the 10 pound loss has been hard. Will be looking for ideas here! Last time I lost 30 lbs, I did it with diet, running and lifting weights but the last two are out right now.
  • intparentintparent Registered User Posts: 30,022 Senior Member
    For me it works to have a dog and walk it for 30 minutes every day (no matter what the weather). That is part of this year's resolution, to not skip very many days!

I also use the light dumbbell weight exercises from my PT for frozen shoulder to work on toning my arms, even though the frozen shoulder is gone. So I want to try to do a couple of exercises every day from that list.

If you take up one other sport you enjoy just for fun, it gets you out because it is FUN. Cross country skiing for me, 1-2 times a week in the winter and one vacation week devoted to it most years. So I plan to get out skiing every weekend that the snow cooperates --and it is VERY cooperative right now :) And I have two short vacations planned to ski! Yay!
    I like cross country skiing- especially on the other side of the mts where a qt of snow doesn't weigh 5 lbs ;)
    It is hard work but fun- unfortunately I don't do it enough to get very good- snowshowing is fun too though, not quite as much, but you can do that with crappy snow.
  • missypiemissypie Registered User Posts: 18,303 Senior Member
    I really hate exercising, really hate running. I'm very unathletic, so I've never found a sport I enjoy. Exercise is sheer drudgery, plain and simple. But I do time on the stairmaster and the treadmill. And I'll never enjoy it.