right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
We've updated the Topics page of our website to better organize and share our expert content. Read more about it here.

Diet/Exercise/Health/Wellness Support Thread

Replies to: Diet/Exercise/Health/Wellness Support Thread

• sushirittosushiritto 3877 replies11 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    @Midwest67 I think you’d love it. Deadlifts, squats, lunges, walking around an obstacle course on their hands, rowing, running, bicycling, swimming, Olympic lifting (clean & jerks, snatches), gymnastics, peg board climbing, rope climbing, sled pulls or pushes, and burpees of course. And that’s just Day 1. 😜

Seriously, the events are a surprise and generally not known to the competitors until a few minutes before the event.
    · Reply · Share
  • sabaraysabaray 7053 replies80 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    I also like watching that ninja warrior show. Just cool to see what the human body can do.

Sore and tired today but made it to camp - back and biceps today, heavy weights. Heavy for me, anyway. My Pilates instructor and I are doing the buddy system this week to stay accountable. Came home and walked the pups which was enjoyed by everyone.
    · Reply · Share
    edited July 30
    Now, imagine having to run or row a marathon, run an obstacle course like the American Ninja Warrior AND THEN be able to deadlift 600-700 lbs or snatch 250-300 lbs.

I've been watching a little of Million Dollar Mile TV show, even though it's hard to watch with Tim Tebow as the host. Being an OCR (obstacle course race) person myself, it's interesting enough to hold my attention.

Deload week = lots of wallballs, burpees, kettlebell swings, box jumps, situps, etc. What I call "busy work" or "boot camp." blech! :disappointed:

I'll probably try some of the events later this week or weekend, once they're announced. Only so much busy work that I can do before my mind starts to flip out from boredom.
    edited July 30
    · Reply · Share
  • abasketabasket 19201 replies854 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    @sabaray you were wise to seek medical attention. Sending good thoughts for a medically stress free trip and patience and good medical guidance when you return to "fix" things. I'm sure it was scary!
    · Reply · Share
    @Midwest67 Wow, those are some awesome numbers. You're ready to tackle that trip for sure! You're ready for "The Arnold" next year. :wink:

@sabaray Holy moly, that's not good news. Keep us informed. Future surgery sounds scary.

Well, I had my own injury. I've been working out hard (normal) and I typically take Thursdays off. Well, I was going on a short vacation last Friday so I didn't take last Thursday off, knowing that Friday would be a travel day and I wouldn't have time to work out. Anyway, I have no idea what happened, because I was literally doing nothing, but possibly some light packing, but my lower back decided it didn't like me anymore. :smiley:

I rarely get hurt. I can't even remember the last time I was injured. So, I took some Advil, got into the car, headed on vacation, resting Saturday, Sunday and Monday. I've never taken 3 days off in a row. Never. Two days off in a row is extremely rare. Glad to report all systems are nearly back to normal though I've lightened the load on the squats and deadlifts this week. And slowly building back up again. Last night, I was back to swinging around on the rig/bar and doing my upside down pushups. :yum:
    · Reply · Share
  • SybyllaSybylla 3724 replies47 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    I had DH install a suspension trainer ($40 version) in our workout room, as the pull up bar is too high in the ridiculous doorways of our new house (even with a step) and I am really surprised at how useful it is. Not cardio as that is too contrived (I will just ride the bike for that) , but for pull, stretch and core it is really terrific. I wouldn't use it on a door (that I paid for at least LOL) , but I had it attached to the pull up bar for a will and that worked fine. You tube has a ton of great info for form. It actually is worth the hype for so little $$.
    · Reply · Share
  • Midwest67Midwest67 2961 replies12 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    @sabaray Wishing you well! That must have been frightening. Years ago, I was anemic (I didn't know it at the time) and I had all sorts of troubling heart & chest symptoms.

Enjoy your trip! So glad you were cleared for it!

@sushiritto Ouch! I've read several accounts re: back pain and the recommended remedy is back to the squats and deadlifts, but at a reduced load. Sounds like you are right on track.

See everyone when I get back!
    · Reply · Share
    My very favorite Instagram account is Westminster Strength and Conditioning in Maryland.

I just love it! Today they posted a picture of an old woman squatting 100# and deadlifting 165#! Uh, my numbers are right about there and I’m a LOT younger!

Lots of posts of normal people getting strong! Westminster gets a lot of young athletes too, training in the off season for their sport. Recently, they showed some middle school boys and girls learning power cleans.

Highly recommend. So inspiring.
    · Reply · Share
    I just looked at several videos. Really nice! I saw one young girl doing a power snatch. I applaud them! I also saw a 9-year old girl deadlifting her body weight quite easily. @Midwest67 Thanks!

BTW, my gym just got a new partner with some money and we'll be getting some new Rogue equipment and changing the design of the rig and gym layout. Seems like they're going to take a few of my suggestions too. Yay!
    · Reply · Share
    edited August 16
    I looked through that instagram page a bunch more. No one doing even a single pull-up in that crowd. :disappointed:
    edited August 16
    · Reply · Share
    edited August 19
    @Sybylla a suspension trainer is a wonderful addition to a workout room. Good for you!

I'm not back to 100%, but pretty darn close. Thank goodness. BUT, I haven't taken a break since last Monday and I should take a day off. Yesterday I did some incline bench presses with DB's, deadlifted to about 90% and then ran a couple miles, did stamina squatting (lower weight, higher rep), and did a batch (aka a lot) of pullups.

I'll probably go straight cardio. The program has a nice jump rope, run and row workout that sounds run up my alley. And then some accessory/core work. :smile:

edited August 19
    · Reply · Share
    Glad things are improving, @sushiritto. Don’t forget to work that rest day in.

Active vacation with lots of walking. Am enjoying some art, some shopping and some beautiful weather. Good, healthy food too. People here are very slim but I’m not sure I would say they are fit. I could get used to this if it wasn’t for all the smokers! I have to say I miss the pups though.
    · Reply · Share
    @sabaray How your chest feeling?
    · Reply · Share
    I got tired yesterday, but so did D. The Louvre has a lot of steps and near the end of the day I noticed I was becoming winded more quickly but nothing unusual. No heat and no humidity has made a big difference.
    · Reply · Share
  • LizardlyLizardly 2506 replies11 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    Oh no! Quick recovery to those with ailments.
    · Reply · Share
    https://barbell-logic.com/220-will-lifting-weights-make-you-bulky/

This might be of interest to some, especially for anyone who is uncomfortable with their body getting bigger, or is used to doing a lot of cardio to drive down weight and body size, or those who have trouble eating enough to support strength training & increases in muscle mass.

Link = an episode of the podcast Barbell Logic “Will lifting weights make you bulky?”

· Reply · Share
    @Midwest67 Well, I'm glad you had a successful and fun trip.

All systems are operating at 100% efficiency here. Saturday's workout my long and grueling, so I took Sunday off. Too much running around to do anyway. My gym is going through a transition with new equipment arriving on pallets Friday. I have to say, I pretty disappointed to hear they're hanging mirrors in the new dumbbell area. I hope it's not turning into one of those Equinox type gyms. Ugh. I don't think so, but if the gym does make changes in the wrong direction. I'm out.
    · Reply · Share