right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

Diet/Exercise/Health/Wellness Support Thread

Replies to: Diet/Exercise/Health/Wellness Support Thread

• busdriver11busdriver11 15242 replies28 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    @sabaray, stress tests are not conclusive. If they think you have a partial blockage of an artery, only an angiogram is conclusive. If that is the concern (and it is a common one, especially with your symptoms) do NOT over exert yourself, take it easy!!!!
    · Reply · Share
  • sushirittosushiritto 4000 replies12 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    @Midwest67 I'm still checking in on that Westminster Strength & Conditioning Instagram page. The first video is of an older woman (no idea how old and I'm not guessing :-)) snatching with excellent form.

And then there's a 40+ year old man (per the post) deadlifting 550 lbs. I love the page, but where's the "conditoning" part of the program? lol
    · Reply · Share
  • Midwest67Midwest67 3026 replies13 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    @sushiritto

Earlier in the summer, there were pics of sprints up a hill, just outside the facility, (?) with some people wearing weighted vests.

Plus, video of prowler pushes & sled pulls.

I believe it’s a Starting Strength affiliate gym, so I’d expect the emphasis to be on the main lifts — plus the lifting might be more popular content for IG? I’m just guessing!

· Reply · Share
    Another IG account I like is Richmond Balance. Not as active of an account, but pics and videos of mere mortals moving some serious weight.

Yesterday or the day before, RB posted a video of a woman pulling 280# (?)(deadlifting). I laughed with joy because it was like she was picking up nothing!
    · Reply · Share
  • sabaraysabaray 7074 replies80 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    There is a giant pile of work waiting for me. Yay Monday after vacation???
    That has been my week as well. I try to think of it as job security!
    Exercise this week has been walking with the pups. They are great exercise partners! This morning I had a great Pilates session to ease back into things. Nothing too crazy or exciting. Lots of stretching and basic movements but I felt a lot better afterwards.
    · Reply · Share
    @sushiritto

I hope you caught the video of Doris pushing that prowler yesterday on Westminster S&C.

Welcome back @sabaray ! Do keep us posted about your health! It has cooled off here in Chicagoland, and it was so nice to walk my old dog without him getting overheated this morning.
    · Reply · Share
    I was traveling yesterday, so thanks for the heads up. Doris working out in a skirt. 😀

A younger women is using a yoke to carry across the room. Our gym just got one of those. The yoke (and prowler too) is typically programmed 1x or 2x per week.
    · Reply · Share
    Doris rocked a PR deadlift recently too! So inspiring!
    · Reply · Share
    I would love to have a prowler. Won’t work in my basement layout! Boo!
    · Reply · Share
    Very slow run/walk 10k this morning, keeping the HR as low as possible. Plenty of hills but a beautiful morning.
    · Reply · Share
  • FallGirlFallGirl 8045 replies27 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    edited August 31
    Hi everyone! Haven't posted here in awhile, but the running and yoga continue. I have been in a 10 Week to 10K training program on Monday evenings - I really do it because it's another opportunity to run with my friends. Ran a 10K last Sunday (signed up last minute after seeing that the weather would be decent) and ran pretty well. Ran intervals with one of the women from my group for the first 5 miles, then I took off to finish strong (she knew I was planning to do that). Not my PR but not bad. I'm actually planning to run my first 10 miler on September 29th. Will be traveling much of September, but plan to pack running shoes/clothes and have checked out hotel fitness center availability as well as outside places to run.
    The only issue is an ankle I rolled (stepped off a curb while walking) in June. It acts up sometimes but it's not getting worse so...I keep going.
    edited August 31
    · Reply · Share
    @FallGirl

Does wrapping the ankle help at all?
    · Reply · Share
  • FallGirlFallGirl 8045 replies27 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    @Midwest67 not really. I keep it elevated a lot. Some days its worse than others. Also had to adapt a few yoga poses.
    · Reply · Share
    FallGirl wrote: »
    @Midwest67 not really. I keep it elevated a lot. Some days its worse than others. Also had to adapt a few yoga poses.

I hope your ankle behaves!

I have a shoulder that has "opinions". I cannot pin down a pattern as to when it will complain loudly or when it will be completely silent.

Interestingly, on Day Six (last day) of my recent hiking trip, I had the thought I was beginning to develop shin splints. I knew that was going to be one of my biggest hurdles -- six days in a row of challenging hiking. The most I've ever done is three days in a row. We did have two participants who opted out of the last day and took a rest day instead.
    · Reply · Share
    @FallGirl speedy recovery to you.

@sabaray big change for you. Wishing you well.

I went back to Ann Arbor for a few days to move my kid back to college. I had to use the YMCA, which while really nice, doesn’t really fit my personal exercise needs. It’s always about the logistics and what I can accomplish without making any noise and drawing too much attention to myself. And I get very squeamish with some of the poor form that I observe there.

I was back in my regular gym today. A nice long workout and I got everything done that I needed to, but I’m worn down to the nub. I got to use some of the new equipment, like the Yoke and the Donkey. BTW, the Yoke weighs 195 lbs. all by itself. The gym also got a beautiful deadlift platform and jack plus a Westside Bench and Belt Squat machine, which personally doesn’t appeal to me. But for folks who don’t want to load up their back and spine with a barbell for squats, I suppose it’s good. I think it feels awkward.

Back in the gym tomorrow. No Sunday off this week, because of my trip.
    · Reply · Share
    @sushiritto

Welcome home! Our club did a great weekend hike near Ann Arbor, and one evening we ate at....Zimmerman’s...did I get the name right?

Good stuff, and an impressive operation.
    · Reply · Share
    @FallGirl - I had a similar ankle injury and had good results using a CEP brace for support. This is similar to mine: https://www.cepcompression.com/products/ankle-brace
    · Reply · Share
  • BunsenBurnerBunsenBurner 38901 replies468 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    ^^Yes to CEP products. Kid wore one of their ankle braces after she twisted her ankle while snowboarding.
    · Reply · Share
    @Midwest67 Close, it’s called Zingerman’s. I’ve only been once, typically deli’s aren’t my thing.
    · Reply · Share
    Many moons ago we ate at Zingerman’s Roadhouse. That was reason enough, in my opinion, for D to enroll at UM!

Cool and cloudy here this morning. Mr. Sabaray joined us on our morning walk.
    · Reply · Share