right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

Diet/Exercise/Health/Wellness Support Thread

Replies to: Diet/Exercise/Health/Wellness Support Thread

• Midwest67Midwest67 3074 replies13 threads Senior Member
    @sushiritto

Yes! SIX sets of 3 unassisted chins with a four minute rest between sets.

I mis-calculated the weight on the bar for the Bench Press and could not figure out why I failed on the 3rd rep! Duh. I loaded up to 87# instead of 80# RELIEF when I figured it out!

I de-loaded on the Overhead Press & will give it another run up, very conservative-like. I did 52# for five sets of three & it felt great. That’s a tough lift, but so worth it.

I still cannot squat or deadlift with much weight. Body weight or bar only (33#) or 53# seems “okay”.

Although I feel MUCH better than I did 2.5 weeks ago, I am not 100% healed. The worst is when the muscles get tight and cramp up. Spasm? Clenching? Seizing? Not sure how to best describe it.

It feels good to do body weight squats or DLs and stretch the tight sore area in my lower back. I don’t know when I’ll be able to get back to training normally.

I’ll be on the road for a week. Hopefully I won’t de-train too much.

I’ve been reading some about strength training for people my age and I’m considering switching to a four day split to give my body more recovery time between lifts.

Being injured is so discouraging! At least I can train the upper body.

Cannot hike! :-(
    · Reply · Share
  • sushirittosushiritto 4123 replies12 threads Senior Member
    Cannot hike? That's awful. I know you love your hikes too.

And wow, now you're up to 18 chin-ups total? My good friend and I text all the time. He's in pretty good shape, thin, on the older side, like us, not a young buck, and he can't do one pull-up. Of course, he blames it on physics, because he's a little taller than I. :wink: So, be proud of those pull-ups! Such an achievement. Rare.

BTW, I often just lift by feel and ignore to some extent the exact amount of weight on the bar. I actually think it's good that you/we "lose track" of the exact amount of the weight on the bar, because knowing the actual amount can affect your mind before the lift (i.e., psych yourself out). At least that's how I feel.

· Reply · Share
    @sushiritto

Oh yes, I appreciate the work it takes to do a single unassisted chin!!!

It was much faster to get to 3 from 2.

I’m also less fatigued bc I’m not doing heavier squats 3x a week and heavier DLs 1x a week since tweaking my back — IOW that helped boost the chins.

I have lats! At first, just teeny tiny baby lats peeking out. Now, the lats and the underwire on my bra are not always getting along.

I am getting some meat on my arms & shoulders too.

It’s so encouraging to see my body build muscle at this age. I’ve been good about getting in quite a bit of protein each day.

I have to lead a hike 3rd week of November! Surely, my back will be up to it by then! I’ll do some scouting hikes before then to test it out.

It’s gotten very cool here in Chicago. I think all the marathon runners last Sunday were grateful for the cool weather! What I don’t care for is the darkness. I went to walk the dog after dinner, and had to grab my headlamp. Boo!
    · Reply · Share
  • sabaraysabaray 7087 replies80 threads Senior Member
    @sushiritto time capped? I don't believe it.

@Midwest67 , I hope your back continues to improve!

Let's see. I have continued with some slow walk/run activity, some boot camp, and some Pilates. I was intrigued by the intermittent fasting thread and actually signed up to get information from Dr. Fung - "Intensive Dietary Management" and I'm thinking of trying it. Some interesting stuff.

Doing what I can, when I can. It's something!
    · Reply · Share
    edited October 18
    @sabaray The snatches were the "easy" part. The 100 bar facing (jumping over the barbell) were my bugaboo. That's a lot of burpees and your legs get wobbly as the clock winds down. And you know how much I love burpees. :tired_face:

20.2 (2nd workout in a sequence of 5) was released. So, tonight it's three movements: 4 dumbbell thrusters, 6 toes to bar and 24 double unders (jump rope). Everyone is time-capped on this one. A full 20 minutes AMRAP (as many rounds as possible).

Please let us know how the IF goes, if you proceed. I actually do IF everyday, from dinner to breakfast. :smiley:
    edited October 18
    · Reply · Share
    I love double unders. Quite a few of the women at my gym have personal jump ropes that are evidently superior. They’re fun.

IF is an interesting concept. I’m wondering if the time frame when you’re fasting has more of an impact than the duration of the fast, if that makes sense. I rarely eat after 7 pm and breakfast is usually around 8 am, so there’s a 13 hour window of fasting I’m already doing. I need to educate myself a bit more.
    · Reply · Share
    I think there needs to be more studies done on humans as it relates to IF versus "regular" calorie restriction. Does IF help any more than your standard calorie restrictive diet? Same food, same amount of restricted calories, but the only difference is that one person would not eat for 16 hours and the other person eats their calories as one typically does. Does either method help more (or less) with disease prevention, weight loss, etc.?

I don't think missing breakfast would be that difficult in my mind, but I'm happy where I'm at physically and mentally (knock on wood), so I'm operating under the theory "don't fix what ain't broke."
    · Reply · Share
    I bought Jason Fung’s diabetes book in Spanish for my SIL. I hope it can help her.

It’s been over a week now & no muscle spasms in my back. Woo! Knock on wood!

Some easy short hiking with one of my kids in West Virginia. So, so beautiful there!

I’m switching from a 3 day a week lifting schedule to a 4 day split.

Squats & DLs one day, “lower”. (I’m ramping up slowly on these!). This session goes fairly quickly.

Bench, Press, Chins the other day, “upper”. This session is long due the rest between multiple sets.

It will give me two full days to recover between exercises.

I’m hoping to get back to hiking as well.

I helped my BIL move a bulky futon down a tricky flight of stairs (curved) & was just so pleased how easy it was with my new muscles. Effort paying off in tangible ways!
    · Reply · Share
    Well, I'm happy that your back is feeling much better.

Recovery? I don't know what that word means. Never heard of it.

Good news and bad news for me. The good news is I'm subscribing to an new inexpensive ($10/month) program, which will hopefully bring even more diversity to my workouts. Many people on Reddit were constantly recommending it that I finally succumbed.

The bad news is that my gym purchased about 10+ new machines, which I'll never use (typical globo gym machines) and now floor space is at a bare minimum. I hate it. In the nicest way possible, I expressed my displeasure to the owners. Now I have to dart in between machines to go from one area to another, when doing multiple exercises (pullups, burpees, rowing, snatches, blah, blah, blah), which really isn't great for CF workouts. I know they're trying to appeal to a wider audience to make more money, but depending on how things unfold, I may have to find another gym. Again. Or going back to working out at home with my limited space.
    · Reply · Share
    @sushiritto

Is there a good CF box nearby?
    · Reply · Share
    There are obviously boxes nearby, in fact, very close, but they charge exorbitant rates for 1 hour classes that cater to the needs of the "masses" (e.g., boot camp style). There's typically very little open gym time scheduled, if at all, and I prefer my online programming.

My current gym is a "barbell club." Open gym 24/7, trainers work with clients and very few classes. I'm left to my own devices. :smiley: The gym was perfect until I left a few days ago to visit my kid back East. Then the machines showed up. :angry:

All I want is some open space. If I have to bail on a lift now, like a snatch or clean, I know I'm gonna hit something or someone. And while they said they would move the rope climb to an open area, where's that? Right now, it's between 2 bench press stations. So, at the moment, when my program calls for rope climbs, I have to time my climbs with anyone who's bench pressing at the same time, so I don't potentially hit them on my descent.

I really like the people too, except for the body builders who seem to look at themselves in the mirror a lot. :smile: Boxes do not have mirrors, but again, it's a nod to other types of gym goers.

Wait and see. The owner said he'll "take care of me." There's one area of the gym's real estate that he said he'll leave open for me/Oly lifters. It's just not very close to the main muscleup/pullup bar that I use 100% of the time.

This is me moaning. :wink:
    · Reply · Share
    edited October 29
    As for 20.3, the 3rd Open workout (deadlifts/presses/handstand pushups), I thought I did horribly. I was not even close to finishing the workout under the 9 minute timecap. The deadlifts were HEAVY for the volume.

It turns out that only a couple of men (final results may change that, but not by much), in my age group, in the entire world, finished the workout in under 9 minutes. So, I don't feel so badly today. Yay!
    edited October 29
    · Reply · Share
    The four day schedule sounds like a good one, @Midwest67. I live very close to the WV border and there is some fantastic hiking over there.

That's a bummer on the gym, @sushiritto. At least if you leave, you'll get to take your timer with you! I'm a bit grumpy with my boot camp. They have decided that the only form of payment they'll accept is direct debit from checking and well, let's just say I'm not doing that. I enjoy it, but I don't enjoy it that much and I think I can do some lifting on my own as I have been cleared to ramp up my running. Which is pretty exciting for me and I'm hoping for some big stuff in 2020.

I had to laugh - facebook reminded me this morning of my epic fail at the Marine Corp marathon a few years ago. I had trained, felt ready, but the weather gods conspired against me - high temps and hot sun brought me to the medical tent at mile 20 or so. I think every race I entered after that has less than desirable conditions.
    MCM was this past weekend and it was a monsoon for the runners - and in the 70's. The joke was they must have thought I had signed up!

· Reply · Share
    @sabaray

Great news about the clearance & goals for 2020!
    · Reply · Share
    I'm pretty happy about it, Midwest. Relieved, actually. I had some additional testing done which was unpleasant but gave a clearer picture of what was going on. I am taking medication to keep my BP at an artificially low level and will still need 6 month scans, but I can live with that.

I think a lot of what was holding me back was the pressure I put on myself to be faster. I felt self-conscious that I wasn't. I like running and if that means I'm running 11 minute miles, so be it. To celebrate my good news, I bought a pair of New Balance 860s and Hoka Gaviotas. I need a stability shoe and for years had just bought the Brooks Transcend and Adrenaline direct from Brooks. I actually went for a gait analysis and learned that my favorite running store no longer recommends these shoes due to changes they've made. I can already tell a world of difference. I've been doing a base building mileage plan and feel good.

· Reply · Share
    edited October 30
    @Midwest67 Splitting up upper and lower body is a popular way to go for sure. I also think 4 days is better than 3 days, all other things being equal as they say. CF sometimes does that and also sometimes does both simultaneously.

@sabaray Thank goodness you're doing much better and can ramp up your running again. That's fantastic news. And new shoes is always a great way to cheer oneself up. I recently purchased the same Topo ST-2's (they did make a great improvement on my old ones), because I got an email that said they were discounting the normally $100 pair of shoes to $35, but they only had one size left. Mine! So I had to buy them, since I really like them and that's a great price. They're a "minimalist" shoe though. Light and flexible, 0 drop, short platform, just about perfect for running, rowing and all the other CF nonsense.
    At least if you leave, you'll get to take your timer with you!

Oy, the timer. Now it's literally buried back in the "South 40" where you can barely see it. Not that I should be looking at it during my WOD. I asked them if I/they could move it to the old location before the new partner (with tons of money) and the gym changed.

The good news is that they cleared a reasonable free space over by the roll up door for me/Oly lifters. Big enough to bail on the barbell and also do burpees and whatever else I need to do. But it's clear across the gym from the special pullup bar that I use. The freedom of movement has really been severely limited. Again, wait and see mode. For the owners though, they're getting some new members.

Did anyone hear or read recently about running or working out in cold(er) weather and burning more fat? I thought I heard a story on CNN about it. Unfortunately, I hate cold weather and prefer "sauna boxes" when I work out. The gym is empty when it's 90+ degrees, but I love it.
    edited October 30
    · Reply · Share
    Did anyone hear or read recently about running or working out in cold(er) weather and burning more fat? I thought I heard a story on CNN about it.

Something like this?

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/05/07/well/move/work-out-and-chill.html
    Dr. Ira Jacobs, a professor of kinesiology at the University of Toronto, for one, has researched the phenomenon of cold weather workouts and found that people can exercise for longer and harder, and thereby burn more calories, if they can slow down the rate at which their body temperature increases.

“When you work out, you produce heat, but your rate of perceived exertion is less when it’s colder, making exercise seem easier,” he said.

Indeed, research published in the journal Diabetes in 2014 shows that exposure to cold stimulates growth of brown fat, which burns calories.

But the exposure has to be repeated. “You have to feel cold for a number of weeks before there is brown fat production and an increase in calorie burn,” Dr. Jacobs said.

2014 Diabetes article that is too technical for me:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24954193
    · Reply · Share
    I'm super psyched to share that I managed FOUR unassisted chin-ups today and for two sets!

It felt like that first one was long fought.....seriously. You feel like you're going to be using bands *forever*.

Knock on wood, no bicep tendonitis or other -itis.

No problem with squats or deadlifts this week, but I'm still using low weight on those and ramping back up conservatively.
    · Reply · Share
    @sabaray Thanks, but I thought there was some recent research that might have been released in the past week or two.

@Midwest67 Wow, four! I'm getting worried now that I may not be this thread's chinup/pullup champion for much longer. :smiley:

I had a lazy Sunday, but finally got off the couch and get myself to the gym yesterday. I kept it "short," and spent about hour there rolling out, warming up and doing a WOD with pullups, rowing and burpees. Yay, burpees. :persevere: You gotta do what you don't like to do.

Tonight I'm going to repeat 20.4. I know I'll end up exactly where I did Friday night, because as Clint Eastwood (in Magnum Force) once said "a man's got to know his limitations." I can only jerk so much weight overhead and the workout progresses beyond, well beyond, my capabilities.
    · Reply · Share
    This video amazes me & is so fun to watch!

It’s Serge Reding in 1971 pressing 502#!

What kills me is these Olympic Lifters had to *clean it first* before pressing it! Either part of the lift is an amazing feat.

https://youtu.be/6JmCOjnsKi4

It’s a very short video, and I recommend waiting to see his reaction after he heard from the judges. Makes me smile every time!
    · Reply · Share