right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
We've updated the Topics page of our website to better organize and share our expert content. Read more about it here.

Diet/Exercise/Health/Wellness Support Thread

Replies to: Diet/Exercise/Health/Wellness Support Thread

• bblfraserbblfraser 230 replies0 threadsRegistered User Junior Member
    I'm so glad this thread was created. I have to have to have to address my fitness/wellbeing. I have 40 lbs to lose and have almost completely stopped exercizing. Several years ago, I dropped almost 25 lbs doing WW and walked 90 minutes about 5 times a week. But I never met my goal and it's all back now. WW really helped me on portion control and accountability. For instance, one glass of wine doesn't mean the same thing if you drink two glasses worth but out of the same glass. ;-) I'm fortunate to live in an area where walking is very accessible: we have lots of sidewalks and trails in the neighborhood. And I belong to a gym, but I find it discouraging as it's so packed with the superfit and buff. I can only display a six-pack if it contains beer.
    · Reply · Share
  • MomofWildChildMomofWildChild 22647 replies191 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    I don't think the elliptical requires any coordination. You put your feet on the pedals and you move them! If there are arm levers, you can use them or not.
    · Reply · Share
  • intparentintparent 36291 replies644 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    A treadmill does, though :( I can cross country ski (skate or classic, with good balance and glide). But I can't run on a treadmill without nearly falling off. I have learned the hard way to only walk when a treadmill is the most convenient machine for exercising...
    · Reply · Share
  • sabaraysabaray 7040 replies80 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    Agreed with MOWC on the elliptical. If I can do it anyone can. I've also found my iPod to be a great motivator while exercising. Nothing like music from my college days to make me think I'm young and fit again!

The Discovery Health website is offering a "National Body Challenge" for 2010. It's an eight-week challenge that offers workout plans, menus, recipes, you name it. Also allows you to track your progress and set goals. Best part? It's free. Might be worth exploring for those of us with some excess poundage to lose.
    · Reply · Share
  • missypiemissypie 17979 replies503 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    I guess the big problem with the elliptical is that I can't do it while reading. It's just so boring!!! I don't have an ipod. The TVs at the gym are set to cnn, fox news and espn. (It must be a contractual requirement because I went last year during the Super Bowl and they didn't even have the Super Bowl on.)
    · Reply · Share
  • tonerangertoneranger 3671 replies52 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    Another vote for the ipod to help make boring machines tolerable and to amp up your workout. I spent a considerable amount of time developing a playlist for exercise and I love it. It's time to add some new material though.
    I lost 5 lbs after doing yoga for about a month (when I started). I was doing it three times per week though and have since reduced.
    The National Challenge sounds cool...I'll check it out. I also got a couple of neat organic and healthy cookbooks for Christmas. I'm ready!!!
    I can run on a treadmill and actually kind of like it, but my knee hurts :(
    · Reply · Share
  • MomofWildChildMomofWildChild 22647 replies191 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    missypie- Are you sure you can't read? My son in law did some of his med school reading on the elliptical. I've never been able to read on exercise machines.
    · Reply · Share
  • VeryHappyVeryHappy 18480 replies324 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    I'm another one who must have the iPod while exercising. My favorites while I'm on the treadmill are the B52s' Love Shack, and all of Ricky Martin -- She Bangs is the best!!

I'm open to suggestions for other wonderful running music.
    · Reply · Share
  • eddieodessaeddieodessa 1721 replies5 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    Missypie can read. Just not while on the elliptical. :)
    · Reply · Share
  • NorthMinnesotaNorthMinnesota 6598 replies70 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    I have tried reading while on the recumbent bike but I really slow down as I get in to the book. My girls gave me my first ipod for Christmas. I am excited to use it as I add music. Cool that families can share music from itunes now! Anyone interested in posting their favorite workout music?

So far today I am drinking lots of water, had a healthy breakfast and trying to keep busy out of the kitchen. Did throw H's homemade cinnamon rolls out...they are too tempting! No exercise yet.
    · Reply · Share
  • BunsenBurnerBunsenBurner 38732 replies467 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    H can't stand gyms. Therefore we run outdoors, rain or shine. I think it is the fresh air that makes us less hungry. When I used to exercise in a gym, I always felt hungry after my 30-minute runs on a treadmill.
    · Reply · Share
  • emeraldkity4emeraldkity4 34785 replies1076 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    I don't read while I am exercising because my focus is my body not my head,I want to pay attention to how it feels and to push myself a bit. So I will listen to invigorating music, but not read. While the upright bikes are facing the wall'o televisions, I still listen to my music even though the screens are distracting. (we don't have cable at home so some of it seems really bizarre)

I also noticed that when I exercised in the morning when the young moms and the grandpas did, I didn't work as hard cause they were all reading on the machines and I adapted my pace to theirs despite myself.
    So I go after dinner when the aspiring body builders do now and i get my heart rate up higher ;)
    · Reply · Share
  • VeryHappyVeryHappy 18480 replies324 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    ^^^Not a bad thing to be with others whose bods you covet.
    · Reply · Share
  • intparentintparent 36291 replies644 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    About a decade ago I spent a year with a local university as my client, so I worked on campus. I am an alumni of the school, so I was able to get a discount to use the student fitness facilities. VeryHappy, there IS a limit on how many young, fit bodies you want around you when working out. Even 10 years ago it made me feel awful old and tubby...
    · Reply · Share
  • hmom5hmom5 10799 replies83 threads- Senior Member
    About diet--I think it's essential to decide before starting what kind of dieter you can most successfully be.

My trainer says his clients are pretty equally divided between the WW approach and the "clean food" approach. Different lifestyles seem to impact which approach works for imdividuals.

I'm always amazed at what WW lets you eat. That seems to work best for busy people who don't want to commit to much cooking. You can go into the grocery store and buy lots that's easy to prepare. But you are still eating a lot of foods that are processed and not healthy. You'll lose weight (slowly in the case of most I know), but I really question how much most are improving their health.

The clean food approach--cutting out additives, preservatives, processed foods is a much more time consuming effort.

The bottom line is reducing calories in any form will make you lose weight, but you need to decide what your real goal is--weight loss alone or weight loss and overall health.

Choosing exercise involves the same consideration. Are you just trying to look better or do you want to maximize heart health, bone density, overall strength? Are you understanding how easy it is to do real damage by not getting proper instruction? A good plan can maximize your health benefits with routines that take very little time and effort.
    · Reply · Share
  • paying3tuitionspaying3tuitions 12571 replies759 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    I also use organic chic thighs

Toneranger/ post#51 -- for a moment there, I thought you were discussing your physique, not your recipe ingredients!:)
    · Reply · Share
    Well, speaking for myself hmom5, I am more interested in the approach you are recommending- to eliminate additives, preservatives, processed foods and the like. For the most part I feel I have a pretty good, balanced diet.

Do you have any resources you can suggest? After seeing "Supersize Me" I purchased the book written by Alexandra Jameson- aka "Healthy Chef Alex" - but found it a challenging read and it was intimidating to me as a novice. I also have books by Bob Greene and Rosie ? - folks who worked with Oprah.

In spite of being overweight, I am in generally good health, or so my physician tells me. With a family history of heart disease though I really want to live better. I'm open to suggestions. That's what this thread is for! I think we all want to be better to ourselves- be healthy and strong.
    · Reply · Share
  • tonerangertoneranger 3671 replies52 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    LOL...actually organic chic breasts work well in that recipe too :)

Just got back from a yoga class...it's been a while...felt great.

I am one of the clean food eaters...apparently I still eat too much though given that I could stand to lose 20! I hide it well cause I'm tall (and it's winter) but I know how much better it felt to be thinner.

sabaray...read the Michael Pollan books and it will change the way you eat forever. Omninvore's Dilemma...or In Defense of Food.

Favorite exercise itunes: What is Love by Haddaway and I've Been Thinking About You by Londonbeat. I also have a yoga playlist with slow new age music...drums and things. Pretty cool.
    · Reply · Share
    I am actually a HUGE Michael Pollan fan. Have both books but perhaps I should re-read them now that I've reached a sufficient level of motivation!
    · Reply · Share
  • Cardinal FangCardinal Fang 18273 replies157 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    Missypie, instead of "exercising," how do you feel about a nice gossipy walk with friends? In my neighborhood I often see groups of women walking together. You don't have to break a sweat, just walk a mile or two or three regularly, to get a huge benefit. Even if it's cold, even if it's rainy or snowy, you can still walk.

I don't walk with friends, but I do take gossipy bike rides with friends. Commiserating about the problems of our teenage kids makes the miles fly by. Not only do I get a workout, but I learn that I'm not the only one with a problem child. (I don't even know what Fang Jr's grades are this quarter, except for the Incomplete. I don't think I want to know.)
    · Reply · Share