Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

Diet/Exercise/Health/Wellness Support Thread

Replies to: Diet/Exercise/Health/Wellness Support Thread

• Classof2015Classof2015 Registered User Posts: 4,198 Senior Member
    Yes definitely (but I defer to MOWC on this).
  • BunsenBurnerBunsenBurner Registered User Posts: 32,756 Senior Member
    ^^Ditto. :)
  • sabaraysabaray Registered User Posts: 6,549 Senior Member
    I'm giving MOWC some recovery time before I start pestering her with questions! :) As much as I would like another round of coaching it's just not in the budget right now. Thanks for the input!

• Midwest67Midwest67 Registered User Posts: 1,396 Senior Member
    @Classof2015

It is not a Meet-Up or affiliated with REI or LLBean or Sierra Club ---which I've learned are all options in our area. I found this group by Googling "hiking club" and the nearest major city.

I have also been out with two different Meet-Up groups. Each group or club has been a little different, although there is some overlap in the members.

The times/dates don't always work out for me because of my work hours, but I'm seeing that if you get to know some more people and connect, there's the option to do an unofficial hike with new friends. A couple of women encouraged me to join an area cross country ski club that they felt sure I would like.

Another hiker told me he was saying he'd always wanted to go to such and such National Park, and before you know it, he and two others were planning a trip and they all went together! So, there is definitely opportunity.

There are plenty of people on the hikes that are single, divorced, or have a spouse who doesn't hike. It doesn't feel weird at all to be there by yourself.

I normally work weekends and that is turning out to be a hurdle. I'll just join when I can.
    ^that's great, Midwest67! I have found that too -- met some people in my meet up groups where we now interact outside the group. I bet there are a lot of people who want to get out there and hike but do it with like minded people. It's a great way to stay motivated -- makes exercise fun.
  • MomofWildChildMomofWildChild Registered User Posts: 21,835 Senior Member
    I would be glad to help you with your training for free. I've coached in the past. I don't have the expertise of Coach Liz, but I'm pretty good! Yes, you have enough base for marathon training. If you can run 10 miles, you can start marathon training. The key is in the longer run!
    I could definitely use the help - that's an offer you may come to regret! I feel charged up again - usually a sign the worlds going to collapse around me - but I feel much better prepared to train than I did last year.
  • sushirittosushiritto Registered User Posts: 1,144 Senior Member
    @sabaray I find that there's a delicate balance between long runs and cross training. If your time is limited, one or the other tends to suffer from neglect. I can't imagine training for marathon and fitting in your cross training, unless one gets short shrift. My CF workouts, which consistently include short runs (also Airdyne/wind type bikes and rowing), take about 75-90 minutes. And then I typically run 3-5 miles on my non-CF days. My legs tend to have no life in them. I have no idea how my legs would react to 10 and 20 mile runs. And where I'd find the time.
  • FallGirlFallGirl Registered User Posts: 7,483 Senior Member
    edited October 3
    (deleted)
  • FallGirlFallGirl Registered User Posts: 7,483 Senior Member
    We have some beautiful areas to hike and I would love to find some like-minded people. One of my biggest challenges is finding people I like to do active things with. I know a lot of younger people but unfortunately can't keep up with them most of the time

@sabaray I wish we lived closer together. I feel much the same way!
  • ohiopublicohiopublic Registered User Posts: 1,632 Senior Member
    Actually I think a mix of cross training and long runs would be a good mix for your marathon. I think ramping up some high mileage is asking for trouble.
    I would definitely need to make some changes to what I'm doing now. @sushiritto, your cross training sounds a lot more intense than what I am doing - most of what I do is a complement to running. Training the first time, I only ran 3 times a week and cross-trained 3 days, rested one. Second round of training, I ran 5 days a week and it was a struggle. I appreciate everyone's input!
    Did you find the first approach got you just as ready, sabaray? I want to train smarter for the next marathon I do. I actually bought that book you mentioned but can't find it! It's here somewhere.

Another topic: has anyone heard of a "mini 10k"? I didn't know what the "mini" referred to (is it shorter than a regular 10k)? Turns out it's a 10k for women. Isn't that cute. Not. I'm hoping there is some legitimate reason it's called that.
  • MomofWildChildMomofWildChild Registered User Posts: 21,835 Senior Member
    LOL. Not much has been called "mini" since the 80s when they had "mini marathons" (halfs)

To me the keys to marathon training are: (1) the long run and being comfortable with being on your feet 3 or 4 hours in training. The long runs can be really slow. (2) mid distance weekday run of 7-9 miles. Sabaray is good at that. I didn't do it. (3) Figuring out your nutrition and hydration plan (4) not getting injured
    edited October 4
    The long runs can be really slow.

I'm good at that, too!

I think the first approach was a better one for me. My two runs during the week were each 6-7 miles and then I followed a high/low schedule on the weekends. I did two sessions a week on the elliptical plus Pilates. I also had scheduled walk breaks during the long runs. The race went well - weather was a big factor in a good way. I'm better at running for distance than running for time - I like knowing how far I'm going to run rather than how long I'm going to run - I get anxious I'm not doing enough when I'm running for a certain amount of time.