Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Maintenance will occur on the site beginning at 10:00 am PT tomorrow morning. While it is very unlikely, this may result in intermittent down time. Thank you in advance for your understanding!

Diet/Exercise/Health/Wellness Support Thread

Replies to: Diet/Exercise/Health/Wellness Support Thread

• BunsenBurnerBunsenBurner Registered User Posts: 32,776 Senior Member
    Sabaray, for what it is worth, I trained for all of my marathons using the Marathon Rookie's PDF guide. It is very similar to what you think might work for you - there are run-free days and there is specific mileage slowly ramping up to a couple of weeks before the race day, then taper. I did free weights and body weight stuff on the non-running days.

http://www.marathonrookie.com/support-files/16weekmarathonschedule.pdf

(Yeah, I am lazy. :) )
  • Classof2015Classof2015 Registered User Posts: 4,200 Senior Member
    ^ I like that plan. Very straightforward and not insane.
  • sabaraysabaray Registered User Posts: 6,549 Senior Member
    You recommended that to me Bunsen, and I used it as a guideline! It's a really good plan. The only thing I did was drop one of the running days, I think, and did longer mileage on two days. My longest run was something like 24 if I'm remembering correctly, and that's because I was so nervous about finishing - I needed that confidence boost.
    Oops, my bad - I remember posting it here but did not remember why I posted it... :)
    I keep checking the weather for this Sunday (half marathon). It's gone from rain and thunder to cloudy to sunny. I know it isn't reliable until about 24 hours out.

I never planned on doing 3 races back to back but this one (and the 10M) count toward our club points and standing. Apparently the 50+ ladies contingent is battling for 2nd place so every race til year end is important.
    Kid is signing up for a tri in Ohio... and she is shopping for a new bike because her bike is no good for semi-serious racing. Sigh. I have seen one of our posters here experience the joys of parenting an adventurous triathlete and I am less than thrilled at her choice of athletic activity. Another sigh.
  • abasketabasket Registered User Posts: 16,757 Senior Member
    ^^Where in Ohio? Cincy? 2018?
    Yes! That one.
  • FallGirlFallGirl Registered User Posts: 7,485 Senior Member
    edited October 7
    ^ Very true @ohiopublic. And I love the Petty reference.

5 miles with the running club this AM.
    5 miles is good, FallGirl!

Half marathon was good. I was happy with my pacing - really tried to hold back at first - and kept it steady. 1:52 which is slowest of the three I've done but I was pleased with it overall. Light rain and 73 degreees so not bad conditions. 3 weeks to next race and I'm happy for that.
    This morning, Mr. B shared this link while we were eating our egg, yogurt, and fruit breakfast:

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2017/jun/17/coss-marte-prison-workout-studio

"For ex-convicts, getting back on your feet is hard. Former drug kingpin and inmate Coss Marte is on a mission to change that, with his prison-style fitness studio that opened its doors at Saks Fifth Avenue in May. In The Wellery, Saks’ 16,600 sq ft health mecca teeming with high-end designer clothes, salt rooms and meditation classes, ConBody is decked out like a jail, with cell bars, metal fences and a backdrop for taking post-workout mugshots.

But this isn’t just another bourgeois boot camp plus some cute jail-striped jumpsuits. These workouts are actually taught by former inmates themselves. Marte employs 10 former prisoners, and they incorporate the same no-frills exercises Marte carried out when he was locked up in a 9ft x 6ft solitary confinement cell with nothing but a bed and a Bible.

“We don’t use any equipment – just our own body weight. And we’re not just working out; we’re solving a real problem,” Marte said."

Body weight exercises - awesome! I will buy his book when it comes out.
  • FallGirlFallGirl Registered User Posts: 7,485 Senior Member
    @FallGirl --- thank you! The best part is all the women on my team are super nice, and many have kids about the same age as mine. We all took the Staten Island ferry back together and shared our aches and pains and remedies and work outs. Nice group.
  • Midwest67Midwest67 Registered User Posts: 1,398 Senior Member
    I wasn't too keen on yesterday's hike location for the hiking club (too far, too crowded due to a festival), so I asked a coworker if she'd like to hike some trails with me. She said yes, and we did 11 miles of beautiful rolling hills.

I'm sore, but happy.