Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Please help us come up with a list of colleges to consider

13»

Replies to: Please help us come up with a list of colleges to consider

• colorado_momcolorado_mom Registered User Posts: 8,892 Senior Member
    If she becomes NMSF and continues to be interested in pharmacy, do look into my suggestion of Northeastern in Boston. Even with full tuition scholarship, you'd need to spend your $10K/year plus $5500/year student loan for room/board/etc. But the co-op program is a great thing if a good fit.
  • fallenchemistfallenchemist Honorary Super Mod Posts: 25,129 Inactive
    LSU8888 - The rivalry is long over, lol. The scholarships are $25,000 (get your numbers right) and a very small percentage of admitted students are offered these. It seems higher on CC I am sure because of the skewed demographic that uses this site. Also, this student would be a very good candidate for the Dean's Honors Scholarship which is full tuition, especially if she raises her SAT or ACT score another notch.

Colorado_mom - I agree that Northeastern is a good choice for many things, but Latin or Spanish is not generally considered among them.
  • momma-threemomma-three Registered User Posts: 2,762 Senior Member
    I know that you mentioned not qualifying for financial aid but it may be worth looking at what the top schools consider for need based aid. The SAT subject tests would be necessary for the most selective schools and they usually require two subject tests (SAT 2's). It is possible that with the Ivy's your daughter may qualify for aid because they have a higher income level set for need based aid than small schools or state schools.
    You mentioned pharmacy...Has she considered Rutgers pharmacy program?...I have heard very good things about their program.
  • gluckiegluckie Registered User Posts: 206 Junior Member
    Not sure if anybody mentioned this yet, but check to see if your state offers scholarships for those students who intend to major in education. Since she wants to teach a foreign language, I don't know if her major would be in education or foreign languages, but its worth a look. Not sure if its still the same here, but had heard that you had to promise to teach in our home state after graduation for a specific amount of time. Whether or not that is true, I don't know.
  • SLUMOMSLUMOM Registered User Posts: 3,610 Senior Member
    "She would like to be a teacher of spanish and/or latin."

Her brother is the pharmacy person!

The OP (the mother) is looking for merit aid, OHIO residents, said she was sure they would not qualify for need-based aid.
  • dbwesdbwes Registered User Posts: 1,660 Senior Member
    OP -- ND students I know have ACTs of 34 and if they do not qualify for need-based, get no merit aid at all.
    St. Mary's on the other hand would probably be generous.
This discussion has been closed.