Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Please help us come up with a list of colleges to consider

linnylulinnylu Registered User Posts: 476 Member
edited January 2011 in Parents Forum
My DD is a junior, 4.8 weighted gpa, #10 in class of 330, 32 on ACT (will retake), 2180 on SAT (is retaking in March), probably national merit based on PSAT score. She would like to be a teacher of spanish and/or latin. We have 5 children, won't qualify for financial aid with her, and really are looking for a college that will offer her a lot of merit aid. We live in Ohio and she doesn't want to have to travel too far. How do we go about finding schools that will be very generous with merit aid? I am at such a loss. DS is a high school senior but his college search was easy since he picked a very specific major that narrowed down the college choices.
Post edited by linnylu on

Replies to: Please help us come up with a list of colleges to consider

• bookmama22bookmama22 Registered User Posts: 2,285 Senior Member
    While I know nothing about the language departments at either schools, it seems to me that your daughter would qualify for merit money at schools like Case Western, the University of Pittsburgh, the University of Delaware and would likely qualify for their honors program. Is she interested in a large school, an urban school or does none of that matter?
  • mom2collegekidsmom2collegekids Forum Champion Financial Aid, Forum Champion Alabama Posts: 84,899 Forum Champion
    What was your D's PSAT score?

If she does make NMF, she'll have some free ride (or near free ride) choices.

How far is too far? Fordham would give her free tuition if she makes NMF
  • ArtdadArtdad Registered User Posts: 83 Junior Member
    I don’t know anything about the majors you are seeking for your daughter. If you are sure that you want to count FA out and only seek merit aid, then there are not a whole lot out there. If you are certain that your child is going to be a nmf, there are some very good options. What’s her score from the Oct PSAT?

I would go about doing the following steps.

First compile a list of ranked colleges for the intended major. You can start from a simple google search, or well-known publications such as US News or Kiplinger’s etc.

Then compare this list against who gives the best NMF Scholarships.

Based on these two cross references, select a few of the top 20 schools, then starting in Spring break do a college visit, if you can, to narrow it down further.

Having said that, I believe Ohio State, main campus, has a decent language department, no? They do offer a decent amount for NMF, I think. Check it out, since you are in the Midwest, all most all the state schools in the big ten are very very good schools. But I believe only Ohio State is very NMF friendly!

Good luck and great news on your child!
  • NesterNester Registered User Posts: 862 Member
    If she becomes NMF, the University of Southern Cali will guarantee her a 50% tuition scholarship for all 4 years if she maintains a B average. They also have a substantial number of further merit-based scholarships that could augment the 50% tuition, but she would need to apply by the Dec. 1 deadline.
  • linnylulinnylu Registered User Posts: 476 Member
    DD scored a 215- not great, but her guidance counselor thought she might make the cutoff. I hope that is true. Cali is definitely too far and DD thinks Alabama is too. Within the next 6 years we will have 4 in college, so we are hoping that DD can find close to a full ride somewhere.
  • PRJPRJ Registered User Posts: 1,877 Senior Member
    The OH NMF cutoffs for the last several years have ranged from 211 to 215, so your D is very likely to qualify. Congrats! (my OH junior D scored 211 so we will be holding our breath until April :eek:)
  • Erin's DadErin's Dad Super Moderator Posts: 36,424 Super Moderator
    Look here for good merit aid for NMF: http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/national-merit-scholarships/649276-nmf-scholarships-updated-compilation.html Denison offers a full tuition scholarship. Great school.
  • mom2collegekidsmom2collegekids Forum Champion Financial Aid, Forum Champion Alabama Posts: 84,899 Forum Champion
    PRJ....Sorry to tell you, but you'll be holding your breath for a longer time....you won't find out until Aug/Sept. That's when the semi-finalists are announced (and when cutoff is known).

Linny
    215 ....good chance will make NMSF....

Is Fordham too far?

With so many in college at the same time, what is your budget for each kid? Since it looks like you won't get any aid once you get a merit scholarship, you'll need to figure out how much you'll pay.

For instance, at USC, unless your D gets very high stats in addition to NMF, she'll probably only get half tuition. That leaves about $35k per year for you to pay.

Free rides in your area are not plentiful. So, if geography is too strict, you may find scholarships limited to tuition only.
  • MD MomMD Mom Registered User Posts: 6,728 Senior Member
    Lots of Ohio kids at Pitt. Though not NMF based, the University of Pittsburgh offers nice merit (and my DD is quite happy there). The education progarm is a bit different there, though, if your daughter wants to teach.

There is a little school in Wisconsin (Beloit) that is known for its language programs, and it is about 90 minutes west of Chicago.
  • ArtdadArtdad Registered User Posts: 83 Junior Member
    215 in OH is very good chance. Please look at the cutoff for the different states for the last few years...

National Merit Scholarships
  • nemomnemom Registered User Posts: 1,607 Senior Member
    I'm guessing that Boston University is too far - but they do have a big classics merit scholarship.
    http://www.bu.edu/admissions/files/library/media/latin-scholarship.pdf
  • sylvan8798sylvan8798 Registered User Posts: 6,748 Senior Member
    Reading your description of her, St. Bonaventure comes to mind. They give lots of merit aid, and they are a very close knit, everyone gets to know everyone, kind of place.
  • levirmlevirm Registered User Posts: 1,178 Senior Member
    Check out the Harrison Scholarship at Miami of Ohio.
  • colorado_momcolorado_mom Registered User Posts: 8,892 Senior Member
    If she makes NMF, check out Northeastern in Boston - they give a full tuition scholarship (but know that room/board is expensive). Not sure if it has the proper majors. Co-op program is their strength.
  • MizzBeeMizzBee Registered User Posts: 4,578 Senior Member
    Apply early for Indiana - still has nice merit aid and is rolling admission. Bradley in Illinois has NMF scholarship that is not advertised. I had always heard that Denison and Kenyon can be generous with aid, but haven't heard anything in the last couple of years.
    I think it is critical that she not take on a lot of loans if her plans involve teaching.
This discussion has been closed.