Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Purdue University, Butler University and U of Michigan for Pharmacy

2»

Replies to: Purdue University, Butler University and U of Michigan for Pharmacy

• JRNMomJRNMom Registered User Posts: 118 Junior Member
    D spent freshman year OOS at Purdue a few years back. Awesome experience. Out here in CA, Purdue carries weight on a resume and has opened doors at key times for D--even tho' she only spent a year there. If your son were to change his major from Pharm and sticks to sciences, he can't go wrong there at Purdue. Can't speak for Butler or Mich but they all sound like terrific choices.
    Best of luck! PM me if you like.
  • deb922deb922 Registered User Posts: 5,694 Senior Member
    Personally he'll get a job as a Pharmacist where ever he goes. It's a profession which has a great placement since it's not easy to get into the program.

I've visited all 3 schools. Had a bad day at Purdue but it just wasn't for our S. Purdue has an atmosphere which is very competitive which we didn't like for him. I always thought it was better for our D but was out of our price range. She did not like Butler but who knows why. It does have a bus which goes to Chicago which would be nice for breaks to get to a reasonable airport. I don't know how easy it is to get out of Purdue although I'm sure you could just get a ride to Indy. UMich is an easy ride to the Detroit airport and Ann Arbor is a great college town. My D looked at the engineering program and didn't like how it was separate from Main Campus.

UMich carries weight all over the country so it would be good if he doesn't want to stay in the midwest.
  • QuietTypeQuietType Registered User Posts: 713 Member
    My daughter (PA resident) was admitted into three early-admittance pharmacy programs - Michigan, Pitt and Duquesne. Pitt had always been her number one pharmacy choice, but she was very interested in Michigan. There was no merit money from Michigan, nor was she eligible for the honors program at Michigan since she was admitted to the early admission program (that one ticked ME off). The OOS cost for Michigan kind of made us gag, but we were willing to pursue it until I had a conversation with the director of admissions for the pharmacy school at Michigan. My basic question was "was it worth the money for a Michigan pharmacy degree?" I'll never forget her repeated response - "You have to be a good steward of your money!" She said that about three times in our brief discussion. That made up our mind - D1 is now a P1 at Pitt (and quite happy there, as I'm sure she would have been at any school she went to.) The cost differential for us would have been about $20,000 a year.

For financial aid purposes, Pitt (at least) classifies the first two years of pharmacy school (P1 and P2) to be undergraduate. I would suspect that this practice is similar to those of other schools. (The TUITION for those two years is, unfortunately, at the professional school level.)

If it's not too late, I would like to put in a plug for Pitt's school of pharmacy. I've been quite impressed by how much the school does for its pharmacy students. As I mentioned, this is D1's third year at Pitt, and she's now had two internships, one research fellowship, and has a part-time job as a research assistant. She's had two papers published in peer-reviewed journals already. Pitt also has a rather generous merit aid program, especially for OOS students.
  • GoGiantsfan29GoGiantsfan29 Registered User Posts: 196 Junior Member
    I really appreciate all the help and information .. it has been great and trying to figure it all out. We never looked into PITT and not sure if it is too late but will do a quick check. I kind of agree with the poster that said it does not really matter where you come out with a pharmacy degree. Son got good Merit aid from the University of Rhode Island Pharmacy program already. But, like I said since he is still so unsure what he wants to do.. he needs to go to a college that offers all his majors and that he would be happy.. On paper he loves Michigan ..but we are not do to visit until next month...but I am sure there are less expensive schools he can love too.. Although, if he does not go into pharmacy I do agree that a Michigan degree carries weight...and happy to hear that Purdue would too.
    Lots to think about in the upcoming months.. Right not just waiting on Butler and see if they give him anything.. if not a call into the admission might be in order..
    Thanks again for all the information.
  • kelsmomkelsmom Registered User Posts: 15,488 Senior Member
    I also agree that for pharm, it's less about the name of the school. That is why my S is at Ferris ... no way could we justify paying extra at another pharm school. He got great merit aid, they are a strong pharm school, etc.

S liked Butler a lot. Our neighbor attends (education major); she loves it. We just couldn't justify the cost differential.

A word about UM pharmacy ... it's more research-oriented than most programs. It's extremely difficult to meet the early assurance terms, from what we heard.

S applied to Pitt but didn't get into the early assurance program. From what we could determine, they fill up their E/A spots really quickly & even great applicants are shut out if they don't get their apps done early enough. S got in for pre-pharm; he just didn't get in the E/A pharm program. Not sure what that would have meant - he opted not to pursue it, since Pitt's pharm merit aid isn't great for OOS (from what we could glean from last year's Pitt merit thread, we were not alone in feeling this way).
  • tx5athometx5athome Registered User Posts: 3,836 Senior Member
    I am a pharmacist in Southern California. I graduated from USC School of Pharmacy 21 years ago. When I started pharmacy school I had a bachelors in Biochemistry/Molecular Biology. I would say, at that time, about 50% already had a bachelors degree. I think it would be very hard for an 18 year old to know that they want to be a pharmacist. At least there is no way that I knew that is what I wanted to do when I was 18. In my experience, the men in pharmacy are not as happy as the women. For women, being a pharmacist allows a lot of flexibility and the ability to make a good salary and work part-time. It is definitely a female-dominated profession and although I find it very rewarding for men it often isn't "enough". Something to keep in mind is that, like most health-care professions, working weekends, evenings and nights is very common. Although that was appealing when I was young, once I had a family I really hated it. There are Monday thru Friday jobs (and I was lucky to find one) but generally they are the exception rather than the rule.
  • GoGiantsfan29GoGiantsfan29 Registered User Posts: 196 Junior Member
    Well, he only got $6,000 a year from Butler for a total of 24,000 although it says it can be spread out of 12 semesters. I was really hoping for more as other kids with similar stats were getting 15,000 a year. This will probably take Butler out of the running..

Tx5athome - your right.. he has no idea if he wants to become a pharmacist at 17 years old.. it was something that interested him and decide to apply to some "pharmacy colleges". I appreciate your take on the profession at the moment.
  • sk8rmomsk8rmom Registered User Posts: 5,746 Senior Member
    Son got good Merit aid from the University of Rhode Island Pharmacy program already

GoGiants, look carefully at the other programs (and rep) that URI has if your S is undecided. It's great that he has that option, but would he be happy at URI if not for the pharmacy program? My D considered them, but didn't apply, because the idea of being near the beach was appealing and they do have a good pharmacy school...but the more she looked at the other programs and student body, the less interested she became. YMMV

Btw, it is NOT as easy these days for new grad to find employment. The pharmacy shortage is non-existent in most urban areas...my friend's kid graduated 3 years ago from a 0-6 program and had multiple offers and signing bonuses up to $20K. My godson is graduating this year from the same school, also great grades and internships, and is hoping to find one full-time offer, but not expecting signing bonuses. He said a number of his friends who graduated last year are working as floaters, at per diem rates, waiting for positions. He's willing to work in more rural areas so may have better luck!
  • xoxmomxoxmom Registered User Posts: 18 New Member
    Congrats to you and your son on these wonderful admissions

my mom&dad, myself, & 6 siblings are wolverines! You can't go wrong at umich. Even if your son changes his mind and doesn't want to study pharmacy, there are so many other terrific programs.

My dad graduated with pharmacy in '33. My niece got her degree, maybe '00 -- she's a hospital pharmicist.

Let's see -- one of the founders of google is a wolverine. Oh yeah, I got a umich computer science degree

Does your son like sports? football hockey basketball etc?

Purdue is a great school too, also computer science, also big-10 sports. People come from all over the world to study at these schools.

I don't know anything about Butler

Have fun with your decision, please let us know what he chooses!
  • psych_psych_ Registered User Posts: 1,583 Senior Member
    Just a bit of a downer post... The job outlook for new pharmacy grads has really darkened in the past 4-ish years, as more and more schools have been opening and graduating more and more PharmDs (coupled with the overall economic downturn, of course). It's not that awful, but there are some (many?) very saturated markets out there (many East Coast cities and California), and those interested in hospital pharmacy are now pretty much required to do a residency post-PharmD. Given those considerations, I would definitely factor level of debt into your S's decision on where to go. I'd also recommend checking out the Pharmacy forums on Student Doctor Net, although they do lean to the "doom and gloom" side of things.

Just my $.02.
  • OMG1108OMG1108 Registered User Posts: 3 New Member
    For some updated info: My daughter was admitted at Butler, Purdue and Manchester's pre-pharm programs. She has straight A's in high school, got her "pharmacy tech in training" license (Through the State of Indiana - which is only filing a single page paper and paying like $25 filing fee, and doing a criminal background check - which because she was under 18 was quite simple. By the way, pharm tech in training IS possible if you are under 18, as an exception.)and worked her senior year at a compounding pharmacy 6 hours a week in an internship - though at the date of her November apps, only had been there from August to November. She received $13,000/year in merit scholarship from BUTLER. Basically full ride to Purdue and Manchester. Her SAT 1920. Extracurriculars nothing extravagant. 2 varsity sports. A bit of charitable volunteerism. Spent 5 years in a not for profit grant writing program. Honestly, it was the pharm tech in training license and internship listed as her standout quality given on the "Congrats you're in" letters.

She chose BUTLER for pre-pharm because of the fact that you have your seat to lose - rather than reapplying at Purdue and Manchester after 2 years. It simply seems obvious the "BUTLER PROMISE" promotes a better learning environment - after all, why would you ever help a classmate if you knew they were competing against you for the seat in the grad program? Furthermore, Butler is a medium sized school - Purdue has 50K students, and then Manchester, with their yet to be accredited pharm program has around 1200. Butler feels right.

Manchester is only about 40 minutes from me so that was really my "mommy inspired" first choice, but after visiting Butler, even I had to concede that it was a nice school and you can't argue with the security of the Butler Promise. I asked Manchester if they would do a "Butler promise" - as that was a deciding factor for us. For some reason they can't offer that right now. Oh well. I guess that makes my decision for me.

It appears at Manchester that if you don't get in, they just have you continue another year at Manchester in pursuit of a chem degree or something. Uh............no. She's getting on a 6year pharm track and not sitting around doing an extra year.

So yes, Butler is going to cost a fortune, $36,050 - but there is security and less stress...and in the end, potentially less time than elsewhere if they try to pull that "hang in there and take another year and reapply" thing - which honestly, would totally demoralize me.

Freshman dorms are not air conditioned. They say you have to "earn your air conditioning" at Butler. The library is dated looking. I hear the food is adequate, not great. However, the Hinkle Fieldhouse (where they filmed the movie Hoosiers with Gene Hackman) is awesome. The other buildings are more "east coast prep school looking" - and the campus felt safe.
This discussion has been closed.