Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

I Need Some Help - Very Smart Kid Dropped Out Of College First Qtr. (Cal Poly Eng.)

2»

Replies to: I Need Some Help - Very Smart Kid Dropped Out Of College First Qtr. (Cal Poly Eng.)

• 2college2college2college2college - Posts: 1,523 Senior Member
    Santa Barbara community college is probably the most social, with students living alongside UCSB students is Isla Vista. Might be a good compromise.
  • HImomHImom Registered User Posts: 34,234 Senior Member
    My D attended CC for 3 semesters, did very well & transferred into an excellent private U that was happy to accept her courses. She spent her time in CC learning a great deal & narrowing experimenting with different courses and fields. She did live at home and save us a lot of money that we were able to save toward the tuition at private U. She did have very small classes at the CC. She was well prepared by her CC for her the private U.

I agree that you need to confer seriously with your SLO counselors about your options, considering the pros & cons. You & your folks also need to confer about finances and how to help them stretch to cover your degree, especially if you need to retake courses.

As has been posted, most engineering programs do require engineers to take from a very specific curriculum and don't provide a lot of time for exploration so they can graduate in 4 years.

You really do need to re-evaluate your priorities and figure out how you plan to get yourself back on track. The great record you had in HS got you entry into SLO. After that, all that matters is what you did thereafter. You need to rebalance your life and move forward.
  • aghabyaghaby Registered User Posts: 84 Junior Member
    Go back to SLO with one goal; to bring your GPA up to where it should be by repeating some of your low grade courses. Once you have a decent GPA you can consider transferring to a school that best fits you.
  • thumper1thumper1 Registered User Posts: 76,106 Senior Member
    -I worked really hard in HS, and it would suck to go to CC for 2 years after all that hard work..

Jeremy...I'm going to point out the obvious. You did NOT work really hard in college and any place you want to transfer to is going to SEE that. You are required to send ALL of your college transcripts when you apply for admission to any college.

SO...what you DO need to show is that you can work HARD in college and make the grade. I also believe the community college route might give you the ability to show what you CAN do in college. Right now, your GPA shows what you can NOT do. Clearly you did poorly across the board.

SO...go to a community college, get your grades to be outstanding...and then think about transferring to a four year school. The CC will also give you the opportunity to explore different areas of study. Cal Poly is a not a liberal arts college...you knew that going in....and you don't want the types of majors they specialize in...time to move on.

This is something you can turn around...but you do need to demonstrate your hard work on the college level. Many CC students move on to four year schools and have very successful times and subsequent careers.
  • stradmomstradmom Registered User Posts: 4,977 Senior Member
    I'm not hearing much commitment to working hard here from the OP, just concerns about having a good social life and how CC would not provide that elusive "college experience." Here's another option: take your winter quarter leave of absence and get a job. Or an internship. Do a little soul searching about what it is you really want to do with your life. Psychology and sociology may not have the skill set needed for success in engineering, but both fields require lots of reading, writing and dedication to working hard, not just "being a people person."

Then, once you have a clearer notion of your long term goals, either go back to the original college for the spring quarter and bring that GPA up - with a quarter's advance notice the advisors could probably find liberal arts classes for you - or transfer to a CC. Just as you get to make your own mistakes when you're an adult, so too do you get to decide how to fix things.
This discussion has been closed.