Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

common app online deadline question

compmomcompmom Registered User Posts: 10,614 Senior Member
edited December 2010 in Parents Forum
I am helping one of my daughter's friends with very last minute applications. For various reasons, she does not have much support at home.

I just want to make sure of her making deadlines with the common application.

For schools with deadline of Jan. 1 or Jan. 3rd, when is the last possible moment to submit successfully?

I am concerned because the 1st falls on a Saturday, and have read that it may take 2 days for the payment to be processed and therefore for the application to be officially submitted.

Also, with, say, a Jan. 3rd deadline, does that mean by midnight Jan. 2nd or Jan. 3rd?

I am not dealing with this with any of my kids, so am not up on things. I really appreciate any info so this young person makes the deadline okay!
Post edited by compmom on

Replies to: common app online deadline question

• rockvillemomrockvillemom Registered User Posts: 7,123 Senior Member
    You hit the nail on the head with the payment issue. If the school requires the payment first - before the application is submitted - than you really need to submit payment today. If the payment can be done at the end - then it would be 11:59pm tomorrow for 1/1 deadlines and 11:59pm Monday evening for 1/3 deadlines. But I really hate when people wait until the last minute - what if there is a power outage or computer crash? What is the common app website experiences glitches? I would always try to submit 24-48 hours before the deadline if at all possible.
This discussion has been closed.