right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

skewed admissions?

momofnjmomofnj 30 replies2 threadsRegistered User Junior Member
edited March 2011 in Parents Forum
Is it me or are more internationals offered admission to selective colleges even though they have lower stats? And get their full tuition paid!! What's up with that!! Why can't we offer our best to our own countries students! I am so disheartened by this!
edited March 2011
29 replies
Post edited by momofnj on
· Reply · Share

Replies to: skewed admissions?

• MopinionatedMopinionated 57 replies4 threadsRegistered User Junior Member
    Many of our students could use a healthy dose of diversity in their lives. Some American children have a very narrow worldview.
    · Reply · Share
  • Lemaitre1Lemaitre1 1732 replies4 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    I am not sure about other schools but to get accepted into a University of California (UC) or California State University (CSU) campus International students have to have better stats than California residents, pay full out of state tuition ($27,000 per year not including room and board or books and supplies) and there is absolutely no financial assistance of any kind available to them.
    · Reply · Share
  • gadadgadad 7471 replies301 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    And get their full tuition paid!!

You'll have to fill us in on what you're referring to. Internationals very rarely get financial aid from U.S. schools, and they're required to show that they have the necessary funds on hand in order to get a student visa. FWIW, in return, Americans serve as cash cows for UK universities.
    · Reply · Share
  • aagdadaagdad 64 replies1 threadsRegistered User Junior Member
    I recall learning through CC last year that Lehigh sent letters to internationals it placed on its waitlist, saying, in essence, if you withdraw your request for financial aid, your application will get a strong second look.
    · Reply · Share
  • moneypmoneyp 774 replies19 threadsRegistered User Member
    momofnj, i do not think so. we are internationals and my son has been getting a lot of rejections at top places simply because of his need for a lot of finances. my advice to internationals after my son's experience, do not ask for financial aid---it will be detrimental to your application.
    · Reply · Share
  • kayfkayf 4088 replies73 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    Money P, I think you are right. I think some colleges want to be able to say that they meet full need for US applicants, so they are taking more intl who can pay.
    · Reply · Share
  • Kei-o-leiKei-o-lei 1592 replies39 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    OP, you claimed three things:
    1- more internationals are offered admission to selective colleges
    2- with lower stats
    3- with full tuition paid

So far, to answer your question, YES, it IS just you :-)

Got any data to back up these claims or are you just venting (not that there is anything wrong with that.)
    · Reply · Share
  • garlandgarland 16006 replies198 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    I guess my question would be, and especially not seeing the specifics to back it up--why on earth would schools be doing this? I see no upside. Less money, lesser students, just because they are international? It does not pass the smell test.
    · Reply · Share
  • jazzparkjazzpark 372 replies4 threadsRegistered User Junior Member
    momofnj wrote:
    Is it me or are more internationals offered admission to selective colleges even though they have lower stats?

Lower stats? Not that I know. What makes you think so?
    · Reply · Share
  • T26E4T26E4 23243 replies1031 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    momofnj: you're incorrect on all points. Time to extinguish the torch and put down the pitchfork. Maybe time to turn down the volume on FoxNews?

International applicants at top schools have the toughest time because they vie for fewer slots but face much a much tougher applicant sub group.

Lower stats? If accepted, they are literally the cream of the crop of the world. Lower stats = zero chance at the top schools.

About 5 US colleges are need blind and meet needs for accepted internationals. As you can imagine, these five get the MOST applications and therefore are the most selective programs.

This contrasts with Internationals who are able to pay full freight. These kids are highly desired by 2nd and 3rd tier schools -- to make up for all the FA they are giving to poorer American kids.

How about dem apples?
    · Reply · Share
  • gt607rmcfgt607rmcf 76 replies1 threadsRegistered User Junior Member
    momofnj, I will put my stats, transcript and portfolio against any applicants to my school. I am also full pay; if I were American, I would not be full pay.

It's possible that for lower-tier colleges what you suggest is true. Where selective colleges are concerned - just no.

Perhaps what you are seeing is the result of another kind of geographic disadvantage - there are plenty of NJ applicants, if that's where you're from.
    · Reply · Share
  • VladenschlutteVladenschlutte 4292 replies37 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    First off, top schools means different things to different people. I am sure this isn't happening at Harvard-MIT-Stanford league schools, these schools have no need to settle for anyone.

I go to UMich and I don't know everyone's high school stats, but I can see a lot of international students come in who seem clearly very unprepared compared to American students. This is my nice way of saying most international students here who I've met (excluding those who are ethnically Chinese, whom are largely competitive students) are lazy. They are not getting free tuition here though, I am sure the reason they are here is to help fill the University's coffers. I don't know what sort of high school stats they had (IE their GPA, test scores, etc) but if they aren't relatively lower than I'll be quite surprised.
    · Reply · Share
  • moneypmoneyp 774 replies19 threadsRegistered User Member
    momofnj, my son's stats are 2290, perfect gpa. good ec's.
    top schools i mean are those that are listed as top here in college confidential, whether universities or lacs
    · Reply · Share
  • VitracVitrac 1458 replies48 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    T26E4--What are the 5 colleges you refer to?
    · Reply · Share
  • JRZMomJRZMom 806 replies6 threadsRegistered User Member
    OP has been watching Glenn Beck
    · Reply · Share
  • zoosermomzoosermom 25663 replies594 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    OP has been watching Glenn Beck
    Can you provide a link?
    · Reply · Share
  • hudsonvalley51hudsonvalley51 2386 replies96 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    According to Wikipedia there are six US colleges and universities that are need blind and which guarantee 100% of need to international students. Those schools are:

Harvard, Yale, Princeton, MIT, Dartmouth and Amherst.
    · Reply · Share
  • zoosermomzoosermom 25663 replies594 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    Well we can all clearly see how easy it is to get into those schools. What a racket!
    · Reply · Share
  • momofnjmomofnj 30 replies2 threadsRegistered User Junior Member
    Yikes din't mean to stir this much trouble, but it is enlightening. I guess reading some acceptances from internationals on this site lead me to think that it was the case. After looking through further I guess I was incorrect. But that's what a discussion board is for, didn't mean to insult anyone just trying to get some info....
    · Reply · Share
  • momofnjmomofnj 30 replies2 threadsRegistered User Junior Member
    Geez.......I can see I was wrong.....just wanted to get clarification, feeling the pain of college tuitions can freak a parent out and maybe I didn't really read or see things clearly.Just wanted a discussion, I surrender...
    · Reply · Share
This discussion has been closed.

Recent Activity