Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Sign Up For Free

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

  • Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
We want your feedback! Complete our survey and enter to win one of four $25 gift cards.

Dual-enrollment versus AP Tests

momofbostonmomofboston Registered User Posts: 901 Member
edited May 2011 in Parents Forum
Hi -

D2 has the option of taking AP Physics or a dual enrollment physics class with the Syracuse U Project Advance Program (SUPA). With dual enrollment, she will earn 8 SU credits that can be transfered to college when she enters...the program claims that 92% of the students enter college with accepted credit. The couse is supposedly the sames as Physics 101 and 102 at Syracuse. Does anyone have experience with this program and if so, what did you think?
Post edited by momofboston on

Replies to: Dual-enrollment versus AP Tests

  • charlieschmcharlieschm Registered User Posts: 4,282 Senior Member
    I know nothing about the Syracuse program.
    However, everyone should be aware that many colleges will not give credit for a dual enrollment class that is taught inside a high school building. The policies vary greatly from college to college. In PA, public colleges will give credit for these classes, but there are some public flagships in other states that will not. Many selective colleges will not give credit.
  • Kdog044Kdog044 Registered User Posts: 1,452 Senior Member
    Also check with your high school to see if the class is calculated into your D's GPA. My son's school did not calculate a college class into his GPA so he opted for the AP class as he was competing for val and sal. As far as AP tests go and credit, depending on the university, your D may need a 5 to get credit for the Physics class but it will usually allow 1-2 credits in college or at least the ability to skip the intro class allowing her to take a more advanced class without having to take a pre-req class. My S won't get credit at this college for Psychology but he does get the intro class requirement waived so he can start with a more advanced Psych class.
  • GeekMom63GeekMom63 Registered User Posts: 1,957 Senior Member
    My son actually did both - for many of the CC classes he took, he followed up with AP credit. Some schools are more likely to accept AP credit than transfer credit. Also, the AP test "proves" the CC class.
  • momofbostonmomofboston Registered User Posts: 901 Member
    So, her school is treating dual enrollment like an honors class - so they get a .5 boost not the full 1.0 boost towards GPA. In terms of the colllege credits, she would like to pursue business so I am hoping that the dual-enrollment course may satisfy a core science requirement. I think I will contact her target schools and clarify that.
  • walkinghomewalkinghome Registered User Posts: 7,716 Senior Member
    GeekMom has an excellent solution - take the dual credit class and the AP test. That's assuming that the class would cover the material that the AP test has on it.

    What I've found is that AP's and dc classes are very much unique to each college. Some may prefer AP's, some are fine with dc, most now only take 4 and 5 scores. Too bad there is no hard and fast rule.
  • ucbalumnusucbalumnus Registered User Posts: 64,501 Senior Member
    The couse is supposedly the sames as Physics 101 and 102 at Syracuse.

    According to Syracuse's course catalog, Physics 101 and 102 appear to be low level non-majors' physics courses (without calculus).

    They are probably roughly comparable to AP Physics B (i.e. not useful as subject credit for any major that requires physics). Different universities have different policies on acceptance of AP versus other university credit, so you may want to check with each university if that is a consideration.

    AP Physics C would be a more substantial course (with calculus), although not all universities accept even that as a substitute for physics courses for majors requiring physics courses. Another option along these lines, if available and the student has calculus, would by Syracuse's Physics 211/212 or 215/216, with associated lab 221/222, as these are the courses for physics majors. Or similar courses may be available at a community college.
  • BCEagle91BCEagle91 Registered User Posts: 22,762 Senior Member
    Are these online or correspondance courses? If so, how are labs done?

    If the OP is in Boston, then there are a lot of options for in-person courses though they can be expensive. I know that Boston University offers a lot of summer undergrad courses in a variety of areas and I'd guess that Physics is included. Northeastern offers Physics too.
  • szsignorszsignor Registered User Posts: 2 New Member
    Just to clarify, the SU Physics courses offered through Project Advance are the same courses offered on the SU campus and there are high level quality controls in place to be sure the course content is the same in all important aspects. For a teacher to be certified to teach the SU course, he or she must meet the qualifications for adjunct status with the SU department, in this case Physics, and must successfully complete training in a content workshop for the specific courses being taught. The faculty member also visits the SU course(s) being offered in the high school once each semester and meets with the students and reviews work.

    Regarding transfer of credit, students who successfully complete the course receive a Syracuse University transcript that indicates they were non-matriculated part-time students. While some schools do not accept college credits earned in high schools, our studies find that when students submit their SU transcript, 90% of them receive some form of recognition in the form of credit, placement, and/or exemption. I hope this is helpful in providing clarity for you. Please feel free to contact the Project Advance office if we can help you with any additional questions.

    Sari Signorelli
    Associate Director
    SU Project Advance
  • Apollo6Apollo6 Registered User Posts: 1,534 Senior Member
    If you know that you will attend the school that accepts the credit, then it is worth the cost for dual enrollment, if not, and your child tests well, save $ and do AP. My kids had the choice in high school - even their sophomore chemistry class was a dual enrollment class - but we weren't sure they'd attend school in our home state so we took the cheaper option and our gamble paid off for all the AP courses that were also dual enrollment. The kid scored a 4 or better and got credit for only the cost of the AP exam. The only course I now regret is the chemistry because it was dual enrollment but not AP level and S1 decided to attend flagship U instate. We did not pay the dual enrollment fee so despite his A in the course, he will not get college credit.
  • MontegutMontegut Registered User Posts: 6,123 Senior Member
    I would definitely do whatever one would guarantee you receive college credit. Some colleges, even the most lenient ones, require a high AP score to get credit for a course. Getting a 5 is tough to get on any AP test, and if your child can get the credit by taking the dual enrollment, I'd do that.

    On the subject of not paying for the dual enrollment, I know some people who didn't pay the money to get the dual enrollment and later regretted it. Summer science courses are very expensive, even at a local public university, and it's better to pay the money now than later. A friend is paying 1900 at a local state public university for one science course. I am paying over 5 grand for a full summer of chemistry plus lab at a local private university. If son would have had a chance to take general chemistry plus lab as a dual enrollment class, even if his college wound up not taking the credit, I would take my chances and pay whatever the dual enrollment fee, especially if it was under a thousand dollars. I'd rather be out the money if he didn't get the credit, than kicking myself later for not spending the money if there was a chance he could have gotten the credit.
  • levirmlevirm Registered User Posts: 1,178 Senior Member
    I would say that she should take the class that her academic peers are taking. That will be the best educational experience for her. The credit aspect is a secondary consideration - the learning experience is much more important. And she will have the best learning experience with her academic peers.
  • MidwestMom2Kids_MidwestMom2Kids_ Registered User Posts: 6,673 Senior Member
    Take the dual enrollment class and the Physics B AP test. Some colleges will not count college classes that appear on your high school transcript but just about everyone will count a good score on the Physics B AP Test.
  • bluebayoubluebayou Registered User Posts: 24,486 Senior Member
    Many top colleges will not accept dual enrollment credit, even some colleges ranked similarly to 'Cuse. And that is true even if the college ('Cuse in this case) certifies the course as equal to their other ones (post #9). The issue is that the course is not offered on the college campus and is not open to other college students; thus, the 'curve' is only other high schoolers. So, AP is more universally transferable.

    But also beware, that dual enrollment grades count in professional school applications, i.e., med and law. Thus, B's in dual enrollment courses can be gpa killers for top prof schools. OTOH, A's can be gpa-boosters. :)
  • ucbalumnusucbalumnus Registered User Posts: 64,501 Senior Member
    Some colleges will not count college classes that appear on your high school transcript but just about everyone will count a good score on the Physics B AP Test.

    However, AP Physics B is of little or no subject credit value in many cases. If the student intends to major in something that requires physics, better to take AP Physics C or a dual enrollment college/university physics course that can give better subject credit.
  • MidwestMom2Kids_MidwestMom2Kids_ Registered User Posts: 6,673 Senior Member
    My D (at University of Texas, Austin) got 8 credits for a 4 on the Physics B test she took after a year of honors (not AP) physics. Two 3-credit classes and two 1-credit labs. This test is not useful for a pre med or someone majoring in the sciences but for a liberal arts kid who wants to take more classes in her major and minor - and fewer distibution/core classes - it's great. (I know that some colleges, particularly LAC's, are a bit stingy with which AP classes they give credit for.)

    I think that if your major requires physics, you should take physics at your college. I wouldn't recommend use of AP credit for a physics or engineering major.
This discussion has been closed.