Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

UC income from tuition will surpass state funding for the first time

menloparkmommenloparkmom Registered User Posts: 12,590 Senior Member
edited September 2011 in Parents Forum
"Propelled by budget crises, California is becoming more like other states in passing more of the burden of a college education on to students."

"Compared with other states that already have passed most educational costs to students, California historically has kept tuition low and provided generous support for higher education. But now, Hartle said, the Golden State is becoming more like others in the view that students are the main beneficiaries of a college education and should bear most of the cost."

"For most of its history, UC charged students little or nothing for their education. In recent years, though, multimillion-dollar cuts in state funding have led to soaring tuition. Back-to-back increases for the coming school year have pushed tuition and fees for undergraduates to more than $13,000, with the total price of attendance, including room and board, topping $31,000 a year."

"One way UC has tried to raise revenue has been to enroll more out-of-state undergraduates, who pay significantly more than California residents. The goal is for nonresidents to make up about 10% of UC undergraduates, still far fewer than at top public schools elsewhere. This fall, UC Berkeley will have the system's largest share of non-Californians, nearly 30% of freshmen. UC San Diego and UCLA are next, with about 18% each."

For the first time, tuition paid by UC students will surpass state funding - latimes.com
Post edited by menloparkmom on

Replies to: UC income from tuition will surpass state funding for the first time

• dstarkdstark Registered User Posts: 34,241 Senior Member
    So...are the SAT scores going up at UC Berkeley?

It's a shame the costs are going up so much....If I was 18, I could never afford UC Berkeley today.
  • katliamomkatliamom Registered User Posts: 12,281 Senior Member
    Ditto, dstark. I'm stunned that COA at UCB is now at over $35K. I think the high costs will drive many talented students to look at privates which will lure them with merit $ and end up costing less per year than the UCs. Bummer for the state, IMO.
    katliamom, yeah, I think it is a bad development for the state. I'm not going to get political...:)
  • ucsd_ucla_daducsd_ucla_dad Registered User Posts: 8,573 Senior Member
    I'm stunned that COA at UCB is now at over $35K.
    Costs are high but not 'over $35K'.

COA (living on campus): $32,634
    COA (living off campus): $28,162

and the above includes buying the campus health insurance, $1,400-$1,700 in personal expenses, money for transportation, etc. - costs which can often be reduced.

UC Berkeley Financial Aid and Scholarships Office Cost of Attendance
  • latepartylateparty Registered User Posts: 316 Member
    I think Governor Brown is poised to sign CA assembly bill 131 just about now - the so-called California dream act - and this will offer $$$ support to illegal aliens for financial aid in our public community colleges, Cal state universities, and University of California.

The students who get damaged are the regular tax-paying lower middle to middle class families/kids who should be prioritized to be able to afford public education in California.

I think OOS and foreign students should be behind in-state legal residents and citizens, and illegal aliens should not be admitted to the above institutions much less receive financial support to do so.

California is an expensive state and having a rise in tuition and fees doesn't surprise me, but the overall system is moving in directions I don't like and which are not fair and of most benefit to citizens and legal in-state residents.
  • TatinGTatinG Registered User Posts: 6,120 Senior Member
    late party: I agree. The state is broke and services for the elderly and disabled are being cut. State parks are closing. And we just had an earthquake! As I write. Moreover, these illegals won't be hired into college degrees jobs because it is illegal to hire them.
  • 20more20more Registered User Posts: 1,506 Senior Member
    “I think the high costs will drive many talented students to look at privates which will lure them with merit $ and end up costing less per year than the UCs.”

It is happening in the Midwest.
    High achieving kids go to private colleges because they are cheaper than state U.
    20more, it's also happening where I live, in Colorado. Both my kids went out of state, one to a private, and we're still paying less than at Univ or Colo, Boulder.

The UCs are California's treasure, says this Cal grad. It's very sad to see this amazing system at risk. My hope is that the schools rebound - or at least start rebounding - when the economy rebounds.

Ucsd-ucla-dad, thanks for the correction on UCB's COA. Let's just hope it doesnt go up to over 35K NEXT year.
  • tptshortytptshorty Registered User Posts: 558 Member
    The "illegal aliens" who are receiving in-state tuition are actually undocumented students who graduate from public high schools, whose parents brought them here as children. What would you prefer for these students to do, go to college or join gangs? Isn't it preferable for them, many of whom came here unwillingly and unwittingly as babies, to have a future? Or would you rather they roam the streets? Some of them are super smart, by the way. Maybe one of them will cure cancer.
    My D is at UCLA (full pay). UC tuition is still very reasonable, about $13,000 a year. The rest of the costs are housing and other normal college costs like transportation and health fees, and those can be lowered if you put your kid on a budget, use your own insurance, etc. Her costs are still around $25000 a year. I think USC tuition this year is over $42000, just tuition.
    fabrizio, if you really don't understand the difference between the phrase 'illegal alien' and 'undocumented' then I doubt you have the subtlety of mind to understand why the Dream Act is humane, rational and practical.
  • coolweathercoolweather Registered User Posts: 5,726 Senior Member
    Instead of using FAFSA, California colleges should use FACSA to determine FA for students.
  • tptshortytptshorty Registered User Posts: 558 Member
    These undocumented students are the children of the nannies, housekeepers, gardeners, fruit pickers and other undocumented workers who service California. Maybe they shouldn't be here. But they are, through no fault of their own. I can't imagine we want to be the kind of country where these kids sell Chiclets on street corners rather than go to school. What kind of human beings are we? We use the services of their parents at cut rates. Anyone see "The Help"? The same type of racism and exploitation still goes on, trust me, but with Hispanics. How many nannies do you see walking to the bus stop in the hot sun every afternoon in your neighborhood?
    It's not because of illegal aliens...

If the state of California received from the federal government what it gives the federal government...there wouldn't be a fiscal issue.

California is bailing out other states.

And the cost of going to a UC would be less.
This discussion has been closed.