Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Introducing a New Expert Content Section: Careers!

Why Startups Shouldn’t Hire People With Graduate Degrees

2»

Replies to: Why Startups Shouldn’t Hire People With Graduate Degrees

• ucbalumnusucbalumnus Registered User Posts: 69,847 Senior Member
    Of course, overgeneralizing to "startups" seems to miss the fact that a startup may hire someone with a graduate degree in the specific area of what it is doing.

For example, a computer company startup may hire someone with a graduate degree in computer science or a related subject, even if it has no interest currently in those with graduate degrees in humanities, business, or law, as the article uses as examples.
  • 2girls4me2girls4me Registered User Posts: 299 Junior Member
    I always laugh when people bring up Bill Gates as an example because Pea is right, Microsoft hires lots of PhD's.

Credentials are important there. As is the school one attended, with MIT, Cornell, Case Western, Stanford and a few others being particular favorites.

Of course Microsoft certainly isn't a start-up anymore!
  • starbrightstarbright Registered User Posts: 4,660 Senior Member
    This nonsense comes from Penelope Trunk. Whoever? She just makes stuff up as she goes, sitting on her farm with her laptop and an internet connection. One of those blogger-want-to-be-famous people who hopes to say something sufficiently outlandish that she'll get more news coverage. If you just say it with authority or find some very bogus 'evidence' to back it up along with some easily refutable arguments that sound good to people that don't know better, AND it stirs the pot. Viola!

It's her whole schtick, but it's not even original. Dime a dozen in internet and consulting land. The world of Form over Content. So her blog has entries like "Don't do what you love" and "Don't report sexual harassment" and "Choose sex over money" and "Why an MBA is a waste of time". And on anything she writes that I know a lot about, she knows almost nothing about what she's writing, her arguments are nonsensical and based on very faulty evidence.

According to her bio, she did graduate work in English but obviously didn't finish since she only lists a BA in History from Brandeis on her Linked In profile.

Then she went into industry and must just assume everyone else will have a terrible transition time like she did (regardless of what they did their graduate work in or why).
    Okay now we can't post to our blogs but I'm pretty positive the whole source of this article goes to this woman. If you find her blog, she also writes about being an imposter, and a very long painful essay about how she was abused as a child, her parents had her tested at NU for being a possible psychopath, how her current farmer husband physically abuses her.

I already felt almost all she has to say with such expertise is just made up nonsense...and after reading this I realize she may not even be stable enough to be writing life advice for anyone. That her earlier comments about having a breakdown after transitioning to parenthood probably wasn't a joke. Just very sad actually.

I clearly have way too much time on my hands.
  • turbo93turbo93 Registered User Posts: 2,845 Senior Member
    A triple major is myopic in her knowledge, insecure with her own identity, and desperate to impress

This here quadruple major (four engineering/comp.sci degrees in three disciplines) has a pretty broad field of knowledge (from prestressed concrete to computational theory to operations research), is quite secure (and thick skinned) with his identity, and as far as impressing people, is the most modest, self-deprecating person around.

The moron who wrote the article should try to understand how much fun is to work full time, attend grad school, and have a family at the same time before proclaiming that 'grad school is for those who are not ready for real life'.
  • turbo93turbo93 Registered User Posts: 2,845 Senior Member
    MicroSoft is famous for hiring PhDs. If having that advance degree really made them deficient as employees Bill Gates would have figured that out early on and stopped hiring them.

There is some truth to that. I know a few people who went to Microsoft with PhD's as well as a couple of former professors who did the same.

In reality, tho, having a multitude of PhD's does not guarantee success. I started my career at the R&D labs of a prestigious (back then) industrial concern in the Midwest. The staff had some 1500 researchers with grad degrees in all kinds of disciplines. A lot of good that did, unfortunately, as most of the PhD's simply were there to kill time before an academic position, for the salary (much higher than academia), or for churning out papers with no useful value (to their employer).

They finally caught on a decade later and trimmed the place to size - to this day I can remember a handful of innovations that came out of a few departments - some brand names - but overall, a major waste of money.

Read the "IBM Janitor Memo" for inspiration :-)
  • 2bornot2bivy2bornot2bivy Registered User Posts: 398 Member
    Read Penelope Trunks Blue Print for a Woman's life and then tell me how much credibility you would give to her opinions.
    Blueprint for a Woman's Life | Penelope Trunk Blog
  • menloparkmommenloparkmom Registered User Posts: 12,519 Senior Member
    "tell me how much credibility you would give to her opinions"-
    A BIG FAT ZERO, imho. what a joke. how in hell did her "opinion" get the attention of someone at CHE?
  • Dad_of_3Dad_of_3 Registered User Posts: 2,067 Senior Member
    ^^ she's being facetious, right?
  • menloparkmommenloparkmom Registered User Posts: 12,519 Senior Member
    which "she"? me? or Penelope?
    I can not see anywhere that she appears or is connected to CHE. If I hit the link the article of the original post, or even her website, there is no connection I can make to CHE.
  • Dad_of_3Dad_of_3 Registered User Posts: 2,067 Senior Member
    Sorry MPM, I'm with you 100%; is Penelope just saying outrageous things to get attention?
  • 2bornot2bivy2bornot2bivy Registered User Posts: 398 Member
    MenloMom My point exactly; I don't think one reader of cc would agree with a single point of the Blueprint for a Woman's life.......
  • OtsuichiOtsuichi Registered User Posts: 69 Junior Member
    This is all ridiculous pop psychology, in my humble opinion. The author is absolutely making staggeringly long, absurd connections and jumping through hoops just to be contrarian. Yes, obviously all triple majors are just looking for excuses not to socialize.
    And that's ignoring the idiocy of her criticism of law schools, because what she fails to realize is that while you can get a job in business without an MBA, you have to have a J.D. to be a lawyer.
2»
This discussion has been closed.