Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

"paying" daughter to go with STEM - doing the wrong thing?

1121314151618»

Replies to: "paying" daughter to go with STEM - doing the wrong thing?

• ConsolationConsolation Registered User Posts: 21,643 Senior Member
    Hasn't it been established that this thread was started by a ****? Has anyone looked at the thread tags recently?
  • TheASPTheASP User Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 349 Member
    My parents are trying to blackmail me into having Computer Science as a major. They refuse to help fund me, or assist me to get a student loan (I'm a minor- I need their signature!).

I know that Computer Science is a good major, but I do not want a job where I will look back when I'm 40 and curse myself for choosing the easy, risk-free path.

Ask your daughter if she REALLY wants that particular major. Warn her of the risks, but if she insists, SUPPORT her. She may end up resenting you if you fail in this basic need.

As for me, I'm looking for a scholarship where I won't have to rely on my parents for anything.
  • NovaLynnxNovaLynnx Registered User Posts: 1,406 Senior Member
    "Sigh, and this is why we wish she would just do engineering like her brother, in this market you're almost handed a job and "WOW!!!"-ing internships - but before i get attacked again for saying that, i know it won't happen and she doesn't want to do it, but it's just a dream. Life is not fair. "

Life is not fair? Can I ask you - does your child's happiness matter at all? Would you honestly be happier if you see your daughter pursue STEM (miserably), find a job (and live miserably) and hate every moment she spends at work for the rest of her life (or at least until she decides to move in a better direction). Perhaps she will resent you - will you be happy with that? This is not YOUR life you are trying to control. This is your daughter's. I bet your daughter is thinking that life is not fair either, since her brother developed an interest in STEM and she didn't, so he gets to pursue an interest he enjoys while she doesn't. He doesn't have to work as much while she does. None of that is fair. It's playing favorites. And that is awful.

You also keep talking about statistics, and forgive me if I missed one, but I have not seen you cite a single source. I would love to know what kind of sources you are pulling from. I hope they're not observation or personal experience.

I agree with another poster - the fact that you asked this question at all, "doing the wrong thing?" tells me that somewhere deep, deep down, you might feel that you are very wrong for doing this. I hope that is true. I wish the best for your daughter, and I hope she is able to pursue her interests and find a good job that she enjoys so that she can move away from this ridiculous situation. I hope she proves you very wrong.
This discussion has been closed.