Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

"paying" daughter to go with STEM - doing the wrong thing?

Replies to: "paying" daughter to go with STEM - doing the wrong thing?

• ucbalumnusucbalumnus Registered User Posts: 62,936 Senior Member
    what could she do with a women and gender studies major

Very small sample size, but here is what some Gender and Women's Studies graduates did:

https://career.berkeley.edu/Major2006/WomenStud.stm
  • buriedalieburiedalie Registered User Posts: 855 Member
    Just an insight from a student - maybe your daughter never expressed any interest in women's and gender studies until now because she was afraid of the repercussions of doing so in a house full of engineers? If she gets into the major and decides she hates it and isn't passionate about it, she'll find something else. Let her live HER life. It's unfair to subsidize your son's education while condemning your daughter's as valueless.
  • MisterKMisterK Registered User Posts: 1,552 Senior Member
    -- what could she do with a women and gender studies major, no bachelor's, no work experience as some of you would have it?

Graduate studies in Astrology would be a possibility.
  • DonnaLDonnaL Registered User Posts: 4,981 Senior Member
    If the OP is actually a ****, then he or she is doing an awfully good job of impersonating someone whose first language isn't English. I'm impressed if that's the case. But I suspect it's not. There really are people like this.
  • cartera45cartera45 Registered User Posts: 12,440 Senior Member
    If you want to keep open the chance for getting into a good law school, then she needs to graduate with a very high GPA. Forcing her to work may impact her grades and close doors to good graduate programs. If she doesn't have to work, don't make her do so just to punish her for choosing a major you don't understand. Support her. You used words like "silly" in the OP. I recommend you lose that word if she does decide on a liberal arts major.
  • PurpleDuckManPurpleDuckMan - Posts: 968 Member
    Looking at those stats for Womens Studies majors I am actually surprised how high the mean income is.

Of course not only was that a terribly small sample sized but also a voluntary response survey. Two conditions that make those stats almost useless.

I mean, would you rather respond to this study if you got a job, or were unemployed.

And what about double majors? I feel like womens studies is something a lot of people would include in a double major with something else. If you double major in WS and Education then get a job as a teacher, that wasn't really thethe WS degree.

Finally, after looking at those crappy statistics, only 50%was percent
  • beawinnerbeawinner Registered User Posts: 272 Junior Member
    We have the opposite problem which won't result in anything different than what you're going through I'm afraid. Our daughter is a bio major who clearly should become some sort of show producer or entertainer. God help us all. My feeling is that people need to focus on a career path, but of their own choosing.
  • PurpleDuckManPurpleDuckMan - Posts: 968 Member
    Only 50% got a job.

And what's "Other Endeavors"? I'm guessing house wife.
  • mspearlmspearl Registered User Posts: 1,233 Senior Member
    Is this a joke? It doesn't sound real. Sorry.
  • bucasmombucasmom Registered User Posts: 176 Junior Member
    Thanks Ucbalumnus, son is actually in a STEM high school now and is looking forward to geology, environmental science and calculus in college (HS calculus teacher's teaching methods do not match his learning style). He is also considering teaching secondary history and plans to try that out freshman and sophomore year before he commits to a major. He figures if he doesn't like teaching, he can be a CIA analyst! Law intrigues him, but he has not fallen in love with it. As far as being a professor goes, he was toying with that idea before he took the aptitude test.

Off-beat majors do not preclude success: Niece was an African-American studies major, but got into working with urban youth groups during the summers in college, which translated to a well paying career after school.
  • frazzled1frazzled1 Registered User Posts: 5,566 Senior Member
    I'm bemused by the folks (**** or otherwise) who would want to live in a world where students with no special talent or affinity for STEM majors are required or maneuvered by their parents into becoming them. Give me a doctor who's enthralled by biology or an engineer who can't think of anything more fascinating than engineering. I think we'll have better medicine and better bridges if that's the case.
  • ordinarylivesordinarylives Registered User Posts: 2,893 Senior Member
    ****? Not a ****? It really doesn't matter as every year I have at least one new freshman in my office telling me they're some kind of major, often biology (pre-med), becasue that's the only one the folks will pay for. I've never seen it work out.
  • MidwestMom2Kids_MidwestMom2Kids_ Registered User Posts: 6,673 Senior Member
    I'm guessing that a lot of incoming freshmen who think they want to major in Women's Studies have not had a Women's Studies class in high school - and then they take one or two in college - and then they decide to major in something else. Same thing for Anthropology and Philosophy. This is not a criticism of Women's Studies as an undergrad liberal arts major, just a note on what happens in a liberal arts undergrad program - and this doesn't reflect a problem - this is how liberal arts is supposed to work. You explore a bit.
  • MidwestMom2Kids_MidwestMom2Kids_ Registered User Posts: 6,673 Senior Member
    If I did not want to be an engineer and my parents said they would only pay for a four-year college if I started out in a four-year engineering track - freshman year full of physics, engineering, and calculus and each year's course schedule nearly mandated - I would look for a college where I would get a very good merit scholarship. If the D were on cc instead of the mom, I'd tell her to check out the "what I learned about full ride scholarships" threads. She should probably head somewhere where she'll get free tuition and free room and board.
  • compmomcompmom Registered User Posts: 8,221 Senior Member
    To Gussied: I think you should let your daughter go to the college of her choosing, and tell her you are sorry to have pressured her so early on what major she will do and what career she wants.

She probably came up with women's studies because you have required her to decide prematurely. Once on campus, it may or may not change.

I read a great term, "wise wandering," in an article that said that all this anxious need to control life, and to plan every thing out early, actually prevents opportunities, because the planning closes people's minds off from things that come across their path.

Being undecided and flexible at the age of 17 or 18 is often a positive. Please believe me.

As for work: be careful about that. Often a freshman female with limited job experience will end up just doing more low level jobs that do nothing for job prospects. I would suggest unpaid internships, if she/you can afford that. In the long run, those kinds of experiences are more valuable both financially and in intangible ways, and she can build up a pretty good resume that way. Also, internships can help clarify majors and career goals along the way. Internships do not have to be related to specific major either.

My youngest was the odd one out in a family of readers. Now, I think she will be the first one to get a master's in an academic field. A close family member of mine dropped out of a sports managment field years ago, went back to school a few years later, and is now a tv executive. You never know. High school is not a good basis on which to judge future prospects. Be open to your daughter's strengths and possibilities.

Most of all, be open to trusting her judgment and ability to find her own way. Show her your support.

This thread became unpleasant, but I think, Gussied, you need to respond with a different tone. Some of us may be posting in sympathy with your daughter, which may strike you as being against you. I can understand that your first post had a tone you did not intend, and it is good that you tried to explain further.

The main thing, for me, is that I think you have some misguided ideas about how college and how the job market really go. You care about your daughter's future and want her to be employable. You need to relax and trust that it will work out. Showing your daughter support and respect may ensure that more than any major can. Kids tend to drop out or fail in other ways if they do not have that positive foundation from parents.

Finally, women's studies is actually a fine major. History still neglect a lot of social history dealing with ordinary life. My preference would be for women's studies to move into other disciplines like history, sociology, anthropology, psychology, English etc. signalling less of a need to compensate for the traditional emphasis on men in history. But if you check craigslist, you will see there are plenty of jobs open to a student with that major, or any student who has earned a BA, for that matter.
This discussion has been closed.