Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

The Neurotic Parent's Guide to College Admissions is out

Replies to: The Neurotic Parent's Guide to College Admissions is out

• kindernykinderny Registered User Posts: 1,385 Senior Member
    garland wrote:
    oh, kinderny, where would you get an idea like that.......?

From the most useful (of all time) thread on CC, of course. You all saved me so much time in the college app season.
  • garlandgarland Registered User Posts: 16,061 Senior Member
    :) (10 char)
  • shoot4moonshoot4moon Registered User Posts: 1,278 Senior Member
    At orientation, they told us about a webcam that was on a popular "crossing spot" on campus. One parent had confessed to the guide that she would habitually have coffee at the time that her son crossed that spot on his way to class - she said it gave her some relief that he was both (a) clothed and (b) going to class.
  • PizzagirlPizzagirl Registered User Posts: 40,488 Senior Member
    It's amazing how our parents got by with the weekly-after-11-pm-when-the-rates-went-down phone calls!
    ^Mine were Sunday afternoon in the phone booth down the hall. But, yeah.
  • SlitheyToveSlitheyTove Registered User Posts: 6,348 Senior Member
    Started reading it, brought it to work to show a friend who's got a college frosh D. I started LOL-ing with the epigram on the first page:
    Education is not filling a bucket, but lighting a fire.
    --William Butler Yeats
    ~
    In certain cases, arson is justifiable.
    --The Neurotic Parent

Agree entirely with the comment that it's like the Preppy Handbook in layout. Which I like very much.
  • anothercollegemomanothercollegemom Registered User Posts: 205 Junior Member
    THANKS much for the tip about the "clam fart" thread. That was just the greatest.
  • neuroticparentneuroticparent Registered User Posts: 684 Member
    Wow - I'm overwhelmed by your kind words...and the excellent suggestions for new material. (I've already organized a lobbying group to help stop APGAR inflation.) Thanks so much for your support and I hope to meet some of you at one of our neurotic events.
  • VAMom2015VAMom2015 Registered User Posts: 1,348 Senior Member
    Glad to suggest finding clam fart thread. I read it last year while awaiting college acceptances for DS, it was a wonderful distraction.

neuroticparent--you mean cc folks have lives outside of this forum and actually go to real events? ;)
  • performersmomperformersmom Registered User Posts: 2,116 Senior Member
    Isn't it illegal to discriminate against applicants with low Apgar scores? Especially if they are URMs'?

(just had to add this - wink)
  • ModadunnModadunn Registered User Posts: 6,263 Senior Member
    I started reading Neuroticparent's blog when S was waiting for decisions in '09. I thought it would make a great book. Now if my own children could believe that I really DO know it all, this would have been so much easier.

Now I am just ticked S didn't think to list his time undergoing light therapy for Jaundice at birth as scientific research! And oh, his apgar was a 9. He actually surprised all of us when he received a special award in the nursery for vocal achievement.
    Wow, Modadunn, way to throw your kid's Apgar in everyone's face. I maintain that my D's working her way up to a 7 from a 3 shows the kind of dedication and hard work that those kids who are just "born with" a 9 really can't imagine. This just shows the problem of basic Apgar inequality in this country!
  • sryrstresssryrstress Registered User Posts: 2,513 Senior Member
    I was using a lot of drugs at the time. What if I didn't fill in the bubbles correctly to send out the results? Was I limited to 4? I went to a small, rural hospital and I just didn't have the same opportunities.
  • ohiobassmomohiobassmom Registered User Posts: 1,401 Senior Member
    this thread is awesome.
  • ModadunnModadunn Registered User Posts: 6,263 Senior Member
    Sorry Garland, I don't mean to offend. And you are correct. Upward trends are a good thing. If it's any consolation, our younger D had a tougher go at it, but she did have the advantage of being born at a research hospital, and they are known to have much higher Apgar standards. As a result, she was very much in the middle of the pack.

And I wouldn't worry srystress.. Im sure they won't hold your inept bubble-filling against you. I also think there is a wildly expensive fee you can pay to correct your drug-induced errors without having to hire an outside consultant. In fact, if it was a rural hospital AND you had a mid-wife, it might be just the hook needed!
This discussion has been closed.