Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

The Neurotic Parent's Guide to College Admissions is out

Replies to: The Neurotic Parent's Guide to College Admissions is out

• college4threecollege4three Registered User Posts: 971 Member
    I wish I had a "like" button for this thread. Can't wait to buy the book.
  • kindernykinderny Registered User Posts: 1,385 Senior Member
    Apgar's, shmapgar's. These standardized tests are meaningless in truly capturing the exceptional qualities of our children. I think more hospitals should be test optional- and I am sure they will be once it is realized how biased and elitest these tests are. After all, how could a test convey the depth of my D's artistic and scientific interests- (which were clearly shown by her collection of snowflakes categorized by number of axes and crystalline structure. Alas, the results of such an endeavor were ephemeral but I am sure the adcoms will accept our description of the amazing work, right?)
  • performersmomperformersmom Registered User Posts: 2,116 Senior Member
    I have a question, and I am SOO glad that this forum is confidential.

Do you think it would be a good idea to have my D somehow point out in her application to Harvard that sat up at 3 months, walked at 6 months, and started speaking in sentences (English) at 7 months, and in Swahili (we were expats at the time) at one year? How recent does this information about her needs to be, as we have her ERB scores and IQ tests from age 4???

How about including an extra letter of recommendation from her pre-school teacher?

Just wondering... Thanks!
  • ModadunnModadunn Registered User Posts: 6,263 Senior Member
    Performersmom - I really think that unless your child is speaking fluent Swahili and still maintains a relationship with his nanny and her village, mentioning this only points out his ambivalence about the plight of others less fortunate, not to mention it's just another vacated EC in a desperate attempt to look good to adcoms. Just my 2 cents.
  • bovertinebovertine Registered User Posts: 3,303 Senior Member
    Impressive stats here. I bet these infants potty trained in single sittings. One and done.
  • performersmomperformersmom Registered User Posts: 2,116 Senior Member
    OOh, I guess it would look too elitist.

Not fair!!!!!!

Anyway, we will look up this Nanny right away to see if we can set up some sort of project for her summer. I hope that will demonstrate how LT her commitment is, how big an impression the year she spent there from 3 to 15 months of age made on her outlook on the world, and her willingness to get her hands dirty. (Changing diapers, it does remind me, is dirty work, too.)
  • paperplanepaperplane Registered User Posts: 448 Member
    The book can't possibly be any funnier than this thread. Cracking me up.
  • kellybkkkellybkk - Posts: 384 Member
    This is a fun thread. What makes it tragic is that we all know that the adcoms essentially fall all over themselves to admit such BS, or it equivalent. Any sentient parent by now has a handle on what adcoms fall for and just simply try and match up better than the next striver. Notre Dame loves community service hours, so just give them 1,000 and be done with it. MIT loves math "medals," so just go out a win a few and be done with it. Be a "nationally ranked athlete" and go anywhere. Almost every college can be stereotyped in respect of their admissions -- it has become a cliche. The whole "Tiger Mom" story was essentially wrapped around how one mother exploited the prejudices of adcoms: piano, academics, blah blah, etc. etc. Tiresome really. The only antitdote I have found is the DVD or book "College Peas," which talks about how the adcoms themselves are becoming so increasingly bored with their own cliche predictability that if you do anything remotely different or interesting (in the book, raising pigeons and releasing one from the adcom's office) gets in over the superscored violinists.
    I don't think I'd call it tragic. And therein lies the irony. There are far more schools in this country than HYPS and other highly selective schools. I honestly believe we (as in the parental "we", and not the student/parent application duo) are to blame for much of this crap in college admissions. Our parents barely took us to practice, let alone coached our little leagues, if you even played little league and not pick up on a dirt mound at an empty lot. Somehow it's just gone crazy. Maybe it's just that more kids are applying to college in general, or maybe it's because of online websites, books, and CC itself that shares a wealth of tidbits and antidotal experiences to both parents and students about what impresses.

If you are truly melancholy about the good old days when you typed (or even hand wrote) your application only asking your parents for a check and a stamp, I suppose you could encourage your child to walk to school year round uphill both ways as an ode to the greatest generation who helped shaped America. Of course, he'd also have to do a study that includes actual markers of improvement to his health to make it relevant to today's health-conscience society. But you could bridge it all together with an internship at an organic farm OR if you actually live near an organic farm and it's not a true sacrifice to work on one, perhaps a summer research program about the possible affects of auto emissions on morning joggers would do the trick.
  • SlitheyToveSlitheyTove Registered User Posts: 6,348 Senior Member
    I bet these infants potty trained in single sittings. One and done.

Well, actually sometimes it's two and done. Or one and two and done. :D :D :D :D

Whee! bovertine, that was a total softball pitch on that straight line!!!!!!!!

(or maybe I should say "weeee"? Sorry, my inner 8 year old has taken over for the moment. :) )
  • turbo93turbo93 Registered User Posts: 2,858 Senior Member
    Let's not forget the 'age when infant slept thru night' and 'duration of breastfeeding' questions on the Common Application...

DD1: 5 years, 0
    DD2: 6 weeks, 4 months
  • reeinazreeinaz Registered User Posts: 1,531 Senior Member
    I was watching a news show the other night and they were saying how some hospitals were fudging the APGAR scores to increase their standing in the best hospitals rankings. It seems that they've been reporting initial test scores that are lower than what the babies actually received. More weight is given to the amount of improvement, as it shows hospitals are producing world class breathers regardless of what level they were at when they arrived.
  • JenPamJenPam Registered User Posts: 364 Member
    Love...this...thread.
    Impressive stats here. I bet these infants potty trained in single sittings. One and done.

.... yeah right. But did they do it without using pull-ups for months? I think it's unrealistic to expect this kind of achievement with everything else toddlers have on their plates these days. We didn't buy into any prescribed method on this mostly because we home schooled our D until the age of three.
  • garlandgarland Registered User Posts: 16,059 Senior Member
    Pullups sshmullups. If you weren't using organic cotton from sheep you raised and sheared yourself, washed in osmotically purified water by hand, I mean really, you (and your kid) weren't really trying, were you?
This discussion has been closed.