right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
We have changed the way we log in on College Confidential. Read more here.

The Neurotic Parent's Guide to College Admissions is out

Replies to: The Neurotic Parent's Guide to College Admissions is out

• MomzieMomzie 817 replies29 threads Member
    On the subject of Apgars, our sons were a little low -- but he was delivered in Appalachia -- by a midwife. We're hoping he'll get a boost for being geographically underrepresented. (Kind of an affirmative action for Apgars).
    · Reply · Share
  • kindernykinderny 1381 replies4 threads Senior Member
    Secret time- my little tiny indie book shop is a reporting bookstore for the NY Times bestseller list. I plan on ordering the book this week- so as to give a little boost on the NY Times stats.
    · Reply · Share
  • ModadunnModadunn 6178 replies85 threads Senior Member
    Kinderny - When you shelve it, put it with college stuff. I definitely had to ask to find it yesterday in B&N.

And jym - I will admit I haven't come across it yet. It isn't laid out as a regular read and with lots of depressing graphs and charts and call outs in shaded gray, I will have to delve more deeply. Of course, you could contribute to the NYT's best seller standing by ordering. Perhaps you could PM Kinderny and have it shipped which will give the book a double whammy of a hit. (I have no real knowledge of how that stuff works so I could be totally making that up).
    · Reply · Share
  • kindernykinderny 1381 replies4 threads Senior Member
    ^^^^It's only "mine" because I patronize it, not work there. But I will mention that to the owners...
    · Reply · Share
    Tomato/Tomato - Own it/shop there. Why quibble about details?
    · Reply · Share
  • jym626jym626 56224 replies2930 threads Senior Member
    modadunn,

My kids are almost completely done with school, so at the moment I am not adding to the "college prep" library. I am simply curious as to what it says. Let me know when you get to it. PM is fine.
    · Reply · Share
  • ohiobassmomohiobassmom 1384 replies17 threads Senior Member
    My book should arrive this week and I am very grateful to the author for giving me a reason to tackle the mailman other than acceptance and FA letters. The UPS or Fedex guy might even get some love this week :)

I also ordered from my library the other two books mentioned in this thread. It's D15's two sport season and I have a lot of sitting-in-a-gym-or-field hours to fill in the next month or two.
    · Reply · Share
    Ya know, if my "pearls of wisdom", neurotic quips or combination thereof are cited in the book, I think I should be given a free copy in appreciation!! So hows about it, author and publisher?? Pm me and I'll happily give you my address :)
    · Reply · Share
  • performersmomperformersmom 2085 replies31 threads Senior Member
    Huge blurb potential:
    "This should be required reading for every parent. In the few short hours I've owned this book, I've laughed, I've cried and I've realized that I've failed my children miserably on just about every level...
    I think this book is incredibly funny and chalk full of sarcasm, wit and worthy information every parent should know about college apps AND their role in their children's lives. It takes to task the ridiculousness of the college admissions process and offers us a good laugh at some of what may never change, but has no rhyme or reason that allows us to understand. I love this book.. and am incredibly jealous of its sure fire success." Modadunn
    · Reply · Share
  • DougBetsyDougBetsy 5578 replies252 threads Senior Member
    My copy arrived on Friday and I'm now about halfway through. It's a really easy, fun read. Tables, illustrations, and short sections turn the pages quickly.

It's great to read at this stage in the game, i.e., nearly finished with the whole process. I think if someone had suggested I read it 4 years ago I probably wouldn't be able to LOL.

For that reason I must resist temptation to share it with my BIL&SIL. They currently have kids in 11, 9, 9, and 8th grades. They can find nothing funny about the next 8 years. So I won't try to force it on them now. Maybe they'll be ready in 2016. ;)
    · Reply · Share
  • researching4embresearching4emb 477 replies15 threads Member
    jym, I just messaged you. The author and all of us at our little publishing company cannot convey how happy we are to see you all having so much fun with this. The book was a joy to produce. If you search for our web page on the book (it pops right up, but we can't post links here) you'll see a calendar of events the Neurotic Parent is in the middle of doing-- come out and meet her if you live near one of them! Menlo Park, CA tomorrow, San Marino, CA Thursday, Santa Monica on Sunday, New York and Westport, CT in early April, Santa Barbara and San Francisco in mid-April, etc. etc. We're administering the Neurotic Parent SAT (we bring the #2 pencils), and we know you'd all score 2350s!
    · Reply · Share
    OMG I think I love you, researching4emb!! Any plans to bring the book tour east??

Now puleeeze, the suspense is killing me. What in tarnation did I say???? Somebody?? Anybody???
    · Reply · Share
    Performersmom: I'll take blurb potential. It's about all the potential I have left I fear!! Although could we keep the reference to my willingness to sleep with Brad Pitt? You just never know where these things can lead!

Sent the book dates to my sister in CA, insisting she go to the one near her.

She told me this morning that the essay about transitioning from orphanage to entitlement has already been written by adopted son #1 in his admissions essay for HS last year. But also adds that plans are in the works for a summer return to his country of birth to start his own NGO. Good luck to the HS Class of 2015. My nephew is so going to bury you!

(Of course, this would be absolutely absurd if it wasn't the case that kids do this all the time - and although sarcasm prevailed in our conversation, I would be lying if I also didn't admit I could hear the wheels turning in her head from five states away!) *shudder to think*
    · Reply · Share
    We're administering the Neurotic Parent SAT (we bring the #2 pencils), and we know you'd all score 2350s!

2350s? Hopefully that not-triple-toll-free score would be balanced by the hundreds of hours I have logged on CC. Ask me anything about financial aid, music majors, classes of '12 and '15 or CTCL schools. Just don't make me write an essay, please :)
    · Reply · Share
    Don't worry, ohiobassmom, we'll apply for extended time and use of a computer for you. Do you need enlarged print too?
    · Reply · Share
  • vlinesvlines 3497 replies82 threads Senior Member
    I will only try to make it to a book signing if you agree to super score, and if tutoring is available.
    · Reply · Share
    Extended time and computer won't work for me, I'm a classic underachiever. I just don't want to write an essay longer than the typical CC post :)
    · Reply · Share
    Well then, no worries, ohiobassmom. We'll just hire the Great Neck, LI SAT cheater for you. Done.
    · Reply · Share
  • msteemstee 3082 replies55 threads Senior Member
    Thanks for mentioning clam farts. Amazing thread. Somehow I missed that thread the first time around. I guess that was during one of my less anxious periods, when I didn't have a junior or senior in high school, and wasn't checking College Confidential every other hour, LOL. One more to go. The fifth kid is about to start high school. The attitude really does change by the third, fourth and fifth time around, though. At least for me, anyway. And I can't help but think that is not a bad thing.
    · Reply · Share
    Sweet jym, I knew my fellow CCers would come through for me :)
    · Reply · Share
This discussion has been closed.

Recent Activity