Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

The Neurotic Parent's Guide to College Admissions is out

Replies to: The Neurotic Parent's Guide to College Admissions is out

• ModadunnModadunn Registered User Posts: 6,263 Senior Member
    ^^ Where is the love button! Too funny.
  • oldfortoldfort Registered User Posts: 21,028 Senior Member
    I bragged about both of our kids were great sleepers - power nap, slept straight through at 2 month. Then my sister told me that intelligent people needed less sleep.
  • jym626jym626 Registered User Posts: 52,260 Senior Member
    MIT loves medals? And to think we threw away all those swim team medals he got for simply getting into the pool. Ahh... regret......
    OH my! I've been told I have gotten my 15 min. of fame in the chapter with reference to the hilarious clam fart thread. Can someone look and see if I should be mortified and go into hiding or if I should ask for a commission and royalties. Thanks.
  • sevmomsevmom Registered User Posts: 7,222 Senior Member
    jym626, You're not in the clam fart thread . You pop up much later in the book (but can't remember exactly where as have already passed the book on to my SIL). Hopefully, somebody can help you out with which thread you're in. How exciting to make it into the book!
    OK, someone, give me a clue. Do I laugh or cry?
    I was previously (along with several other cc'ers) quoted in this book http://www.amazon.com/Survive-Getting-Your-Into-College/dp/1933512113 but the author contacted us backchannel first and asked our permission.
  • lilmomlilmom Registered User Posts: 3,399 Senior Member
    My S was motivated to teach himself to read at age 4 by watching the Rugrats cartoons. He was frustrated that he couldn't read the titles of the episodes.
  • sevmomsevmom Registered User Posts: 7,222 Senior Member
    There are other CC threads mentioned in the book that are less exciting than the clam fart thread, like the thread about xl twin sheets!
    The amazon site doesn't allow the option to preview the book, like some books do.. :( Neuroticparent, could you puleeeze consider changing that so we can take a peek??
  • researching4embresearching4emb Registered User Posts: 492 Member
    Neurotic Parent's publisher chiming in here to answer jym626's question, and to say this thread is hilarious. Our distributor is bugging Amazon to get the Look Inside the Book function going, but it just takes a while. The book is still brand-new. Hopefully that will be active within a couple of weeks. It's a very "designed" book (lots of fun graphics, IMHO), so we want people to preview it!

And I sure wish I would have ordered the commemorative APGAR plaques back when I had the chance with my girls. By comparison, those high school diplomas are just so.... ordinary.
    Thanks, researchingforemb. Tell Amazon to get the lead out!! You have customers waiting!!

And fwiw, my older s instructed me on the correct toilet training procedures. When transitioning from sitting to standing, I tried to..err... advise him how to hold... err... well you understand. I was corrected and informed that to perform this skill correctly one should use the thumb and middle finger, leaving the index finger free for "tapping". :eek: That little stinker put his momma in her place. Maybe he should have written his application essay about this.

**note to author and publisher-- please don't put that tidbit in your next edition!! **
  • ModadunnModadunn Registered User Posts: 6,263 Senior Member
    OK.. I am headed to Barnes and Nobles right now. I honestly don't want to wait on Amazon. but will call first just to make sure they have it. This is actually my last kid going thru this but I posted the blog on my FB for waiting friends to get a chuckle and now I see there are several who have posted it as well. While disappointed my own "shares" are not going up in totals, I'm still taking credit. If it makes to the #1 spot on the NYTimes best seller list, can I add Neuroticmom's achievement to my resume?
  • garlandgarland Registered User Posts: 15,064 Senior Member
    Dear researching4em: look up the Meta-thread and turn it into a book, pleeeaase! We could all use the royalties! (I am trying to turn this thread into "Meta-thread: the Prequel", as some posters have noticed.)

http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/parent-cafe/501191-meta-thread-save-us-all-time.html

Thank you!
    Please report back on my citation, modadunn.

And if we are recommending cc threads of all time, please add the Urban moundbuilder thread. And the one about the #2 pencil (I forget what it was called).
  • neuroticparentneuroticparent Registered User Posts: 684 Member
    You will all be pleased to know that the Common App folks have contacted me about consulting on the revamped version that they're developing for 2013. I will be sure to forward them all of your suggestions, so applicants can list potty training accomplishments, swim medals (with and without floaties), and local, national and international achievements in sleeping through the night. There will even be a supplement for early Swahili competency.

SPOILER ALERT: jym626, Sorry you did not make the Clam Fart thread. But you do provide sage advice elsewhere in the book.

And Modadunn, if (when) the book becomes a NYT bestseller, you may absolutely list your marketing efforts on your resume. In fact, if you send your APGARs (we superscore), I will consider you for the next unpaid internship that opens up.
This discussion has been closed.