Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

The Neurotic Parent's Guide to College Admissions is out

Replies to: The Neurotic Parent's Guide to College Admissions is out

• jym626jym626 Registered User Posts: 57,370 Senior Member
    oh you tease, neuroticparent ;) do tell-- which "pearls of wisdom" of mine are in print? :)

(how neurotic do they sound??)
  • researching4embresearching4emb Registered User Posts: 492 Member
    You guys are all hilarious. When this becomes an NYT bestseller, the Neurotic Parent and I will throw a beer pong party for all of you!
  • ModadunnModadunn Registered User Posts: 6,263 Senior Member
    I went to Barnes and Noble and found this gem of a book stocked on the humor shelf. A marketing mistake IMO. They really need to cross-reference and shelve this book next to all the other college reference books.

I have read some of it, browsed more, and have been reminded of some of the blog posts from the olden days of 2008 (Nice use of recycling in a green economy btw - bonus points). My review is simple: This should be required reading for every parent. In the few short hours I've owned this book, I've laughed, I've cried and I've realized that I've failed my children miserably on just about every level.

I will be gifting this book to D's guidance Counselor (who was also S's guidance counselor) and encourage her to make it required reading for every incoming freshman parent despite it being too late for any of those children to do anything proactive about their futures. She can just respond to their emails by saying, please review page 172 regarding your odds of attending Tufts.

I will also be gifting to my sister who has a current freshman (again too late for that nephew), but for nephew #2 who is only in 7th grade, there is slight hope. He has already attended Stanford and an elite east coast prep school summer school program. He's also traveled internationally with his incredibly racially diverse orchestra. He is adopted and there has been some debate on whether his country of origin will hurt him or help him. I've already encouraged him to start writing his memoir on the 6 months he spent in an orphanage and the ensuing economic transition to entitlement. (seriously, true story). And no, I am not related to Angelina Jolie. But I would sleep with Brad Pitt. (Just saying in case he reads CC).

Point is, I think this book is incredibly funny and chalk full of sarcasm, wit and worthy information every parent should know about college apps AND their role in their children's lives. It takes to task the ridiculousness of the college admissions process and offers us a good laugh at some of what may never change, but has no rhyme or reason that allows us to understand. I love this book.. and am incredibly jealous of its sure fire success.

And oh.. Neuroticparent? I will take a walk on, thanks. :)
    So modadunn.... what cc'isms made it to print????
  • vlinesvlines Registered User Posts: 3,579 Senior Member
    just ordered it, can't wait to read it. I definitely think that the Mega Thread should be a book, or a big part of one. There are a few other threads on here that make up a "must read" list for all new CC users!
  • MomzieMomzie Registered User Posts: 846 Member
    On the subject of Apgars, our sons were a little low -- but he was delivered in Appalachia -- by a midwife. We're hoping he'll get a boost for being geographically underrepresented. (Kind of an affirmative action for Apgars).
  • kindernykinderny Registered User Posts: 1,385 Senior Member
    Secret time- my little tiny indie book shop is a reporting bookstore for the NY Times bestseller list. I plan on ordering the book this week- so as to give a little boost on the NY Times stats.
    Kinderny - When you shelve it, put it with college stuff. I definitely had to ask to find it yesterday in B&N.

And jym - I will admit I haven't come across it yet. It isn't laid out as a regular read and with lots of depressing graphs and charts and call outs in shaded gray, I will have to delve more deeply. Of course, you could contribute to the NYT's best seller standing by ordering. Perhaps you could PM Kinderny and have it shipped which will give the book a double whammy of a hit. (I have no real knowledge of how that stuff works so I could be totally making that up).
  • kindernykinderny Registered User Posts: 1,385 Senior Member
    ^^^^It's only "mine" because I patronize it, not work there. But I will mention that to the owners...
    Tomato/Tomato - Own it/shop there. Why quibble about details?
    modadunn,

My kids are almost completely done with school, so at the moment I am not adding to the "college prep" library. I am simply curious as to what it says. Let me know when you get to it. PM is fine.
  • ohiobassmomohiobassmom Registered User Posts: 1,401 Senior Member
    My book should arrive this week and I am very grateful to the author for giving me a reason to tackle the mailman other than acceptance and FA letters. The UPS or Fedex guy might even get some love this week :)

I also ordered from my library the other two books mentioned in this thread. It's D15's two sport season and I have a lot of sitting-in-a-gym-or-field hours to fill in the next month or two.
    Ya know, if my "pearls of wisdom", neurotic quips or combination thereof are cited in the book, I think I should be given a free copy in appreciation!! So hows about it, author and publisher?? Pm me and I'll happily give you my address :)
  • performersmomperformersmom Registered User Posts: 2,116 Senior Member
    Huge blurb potential:
    "This should be required reading for every parent. In the few short hours I've owned this book, I've laughed, I've cried and I've realized that I've failed my children miserably on just about every level...
    I think this book is incredibly funny and chalk full of sarcasm, wit and worthy information every parent should know about college apps AND their role in their children's lives. It takes to task the ridiculousness of the college admissions process and offers us a good laugh at some of what may never change, but has no rhyme or reason that allows us to understand. I love this book.. and am incredibly jealous of its sure fire success." Modadunn
  • DougBetsyDougBetsy Registered User Posts: 5,830 Senior Member
    My copy arrived on Friday and I'm now about halfway through. It's a really easy, fun read. Tables, illustrations, and short sections turn the pages quickly.

It's great to read at this stage in the game, i.e., nearly finished with the whole process. I think if someone had suggested I read it 4 years ago I probably wouldn't be able to LOL.

For that reason I must resist temptation to share it with my BIL&SIL. They currently have kids in 11, 9, 9, and 8th grades. They can find nothing funny about the next 8 years. So I won't try to force it on them now. Maybe they'll be ready in 2016. ;)
This discussion has been closed.