Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

The Neurotic Parent's Guide to College Admissions is out

Replies to: The Neurotic Parent's Guide to College Admissions is out

• researching4embresearching4emb Registered User Posts: 492 Member
    jym, I just messaged you. The author and all of us at our little publishing company cannot convey how happy we are to see you all having so much fun with this. The book was a joy to produce. If you search for our web page on the book (it pops right up, but we can't post links here) you'll see a calendar of events the Neurotic Parent is in the middle of doing-- come out and meet her if you live near one of them! Menlo Park, CA tomorrow, San Marino, CA Thursday, Santa Monica on Sunday, New York and Westport, CT in early April, Santa Barbara and San Francisco in mid-April, etc. etc. We're administering the Neurotic Parent SAT (we bring the #2 pencils), and we know you'd all score 2350s!
  • jym626jym626 Registered User Posts: 57,384 Senior Member
    OMG I think I love you, researching4emb!! Any plans to bring the book tour east??

Now puleeeze, the suspense is killing me. What in tarnation did I say???? Somebody?? Anybody???
  • ModadunnModadunn Registered User Posts: 6,263 Senior Member
    Performersmom: I'll take blurb potential. It's about all the potential I have left I fear!! Although could we keep the reference to my willingness to sleep with Brad Pitt? You just never know where these things can lead!

Sent the book dates to my sister in CA, insisting she go to the one near her.

She told me this morning that the essay about transitioning from orphanage to entitlement has already been written by adopted son #1 in his admissions essay for HS last year. But also adds that plans are in the works for a summer return to his country of birth to start his own NGO. Good luck to the HS Class of 2015. My nephew is so going to bury you!

(Of course, this would be absolutely absurd if it wasn't the case that kids do this all the time - and although sarcasm prevailed in our conversation, I would be lying if I also didn't admit I could hear the wheels turning in her head from five states away!) *shudder to think*
  • ohiobassmomohiobassmom Registered User Posts: 1,401 Senior Member
    We're administering the Neurotic Parent SAT (we bring the #2 pencils), and we know you'd all score 2350s!

2350s? Hopefully that not-triple-toll-free score would be balanced by the hundreds of hours I have logged on CC. Ask me anything about financial aid, music majors, classes of '12 and '15 or CTCL schools. Just don't make me write an essay, please :)
    Don't worry, ohiobassmom, we'll apply for extended time and use of a computer for you. Do you need enlarged print too?
  • vlinesvlines Registered User Posts: 3,579 Senior Member
    I will only try to make it to a book signing if you agree to super score, and if tutoring is available.
    Extended time and computer won't work for me, I'm a classic underachiever. I just don't want to write an essay longer than the typical CC post :)
    Well then, no worries, ohiobassmom. We'll just hire the Great Neck, LI SAT cheater for you. Done.
  • msteemstee Registered User Posts: 3,136 Senior Member
    Thanks for mentioning clam farts. Amazing thread. Somehow I missed that thread the first time around. I guess that was during one of my less anxious periods, when I didn't have a junior or senior in high school, and wasn't checking College Confidential every other hour, LOL. One more to go. The fifth kid is about to start high school. The attitude really does change by the third, fourth and fifth time around, though. At least for me, anyway. And I can't help but think that is not a bad thing.
    Sweet jym, I knew my fellow CCers would come through for me :)
  • sryrstresssryrstress Registered User Posts: 2,513 Senior Member
    ohiobassmom--no worries...essays must now be less than 140 characters!

We will need a signed dr. form for the enlarged print, extended time shouldn't be a problem as long as you didn't recently buy your diagnosis, but be prepared, use of the computer is very very difficult to obtain :( (and after at least 10,000 hours on cc, I haven't figured out why that is so....)

I'm with mstee on this one....I'm so much calmer with kid #3. She's a freshman; we'll see if it lasts :)
  • SlitheyToveSlitheyTove Registered User Posts: 6,348 Senior Member
    vlines, attending a book signing is a clear signal of demonstrated interest. It might be just the push that's needed to be included in a future The Neurotic Parent blog post or follow-on book....even, dare I say it, merit money (aka free review copy).

Now, if you don't live near one of the signing locations, I'm sure TNP will be understanding of how not all families can afford to fly out for the event. But if you live within an 8 hour drive and you don't show, TNP might look at your attempts to be in the next book with a skeptical eye.
    The attitude really does change by the third, fourth and fifth time around, though.
    I'm so much calmer with kid #3.

:eek: Great, now added to my to-do list is to have a third kid. ;)
  • OhioMom3000OhioMom3000 Registered User Posts: 2,063 Senior Member
    "BIRTH - Send APGAR scores to the colleges you will be considering in 17 years."

S2 got 10 and 10. Is this a new hook? ha ha
  • ModadunnModadunn Registered User Posts: 6,263 Senior Member
    Great. I don't stand a chance. There is no way I can qualify for extended time at this late date despite having been granted extra time on just about every Cosmopolitan quiz about how to have great sex at any age. Without some sort of decades old 504 or a WD40 wiggle, I'm toast made from white bread.
    Great, now added to my to-do list is to have a third kid.

Would you like access to my Cosmo collection for inspiration? I'll erase my answers.

And yes, the stress dissipates on the third. BUT.. while not overly invested during the application process (although my youngest didn't let me even see her applications until about a week ago), the waiting for decisions is stressful. Maybe the fourth or fifth is even less so, but honestly I can't imagine I would have lived long enough to find out!
  • kindernykinderny Registered User Posts: 1,385 Senior Member
    ^^^ THIS (all of you) is why I continue to read CC even though my only child is ensconced in college (and hopefully finishing successfully her first year in May).
This discussion has been closed.