Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Need help with the Cornell FIN AID form

Replies to: Need help with the Cornell FIN AID form

• jmmomjmmom Registered User Posts: 9,084 Senior Member
    theonekid - can you give us an idea of what type of self-employment your father has? Some will be simpler than others. I suggest you submit everything you are able to complete by tomorrow (!). Then, when offices open, call the FinAid department at Cornell. Speak to a fin aid officer and I think you can expect s/he will be very helpful. Let them know you are completing all this information yourself and ask each of your specific questions. You'll be able to give specifics which you may not be able to post here and so get better answers.
  • theonekidtheonekid Registered User Posts: 453 Member
    Well there is no way I can do the second page of the form (BUFS)... Any idea where I could find all this information.. (I'm guessing it's not anywhere in the Fed-TAX return or Sch. C, SE, EIC//
    theonekid- depending on what type of business/self-employed person your father has/is - it may be that this form will be mostly blank or "na" ("Not applicable"). EG, I am a self-employed realtor and, in completing the BUFS, had "0" or "na" for pretty much all/all of page 2.

Tell us more here, or PM someone, and we can try to help further.

As a last resort, I suggest you fill in what you don't know as "na", "not available" in order to meet the deadline. Then, you can get advice/help from a Finaid officer next week.

Edit: the form's instructions say that if a question does not apply to you, fill in "0",do not leave blank. You can do that wherever you don't know, unless we can figure out something else via PM.
    Looking at the website re deadlines, it looks like the BUFS is due 2/10 along with the CSS Profile. So, you have time. The basic Financial Aid app is due 1/1.
    http://finaid.cornell.edu/Prospective/ProspectiveDeadlines.htm

Unless I'm misreading - anyone?
    I really hope you are right.
    Question: What do they mean by "signed copies of" fed-tax returns and schd.?

I see no signatures on these forms =-/
    theonekid - when a person submits the tax return on 4/15, s/he signs the first page at the bottom. that is the only signed page, so you want a copy of what your father actually sent, with his signature in that spot. I suppose if he didn't keep a signed copy, you could have him sign the copy you now have.
  • w1ckedw1cked Registered User Posts: 1,634 Member
    Yea I just turned mine in today with all three family member's tax returns from last year ~~ I think thats all you need for now, unless they tell you otherwise.
  • ldmom06ldmom06 Registered User Posts: 5,564 Senior Member
    "Looking at the website re deadlines, it looks like the BUFS is due 2/10 along with the CSS Profile. So, you have time. The basic Financial Aid app is due 1/1.
    http://finaid.cornell.edu/Prospecti...veDeadlines.htm

Unless I'm misreading - anyone?"

I inferred the same thing jmmom. I think the mention of the BUFS in the instructions of Cornell FA application form that is due 1/1 is merely to advise applicants that Cornell is one of the universities that requires the supplement [eventually]. Some universities require the CSS Profile without the BUFS supplement, some require the Profile plus BUFS...I think Cornell was just clarifying that it does require the supplement when the CSS Profile is submitted (2/10). There is really no way to properly complete the BUFS now without the 2005 tax return info, so I didn't submit it yet.

Filling it out partially is another option, but I didn't want to create and sign two documents that contradicted each other.
    theonekid-

Yes jmmom is right. Most tax return copies are unsigned...just get your dad to sign and date it. I'd ask your dad to use his actual filing date or 4/15/2005.
    theonekid-

btw...I know at the end of all of this, you are gonna want to change your major to accounting right? (JK..lol!)

This process is so difficult and tedious...as I've said, I'm a CPA and former auditor, but I still have a tax accountant do our taxes. (my dirty little secret...ha!)
  • syneriasyneria Registered User Posts: 987 Member
    On the BUFS (Business/Farm Supplement), 13 g... I don't understand what we have to list or "itemize." Can anyone explain?
    Is this the 1040 form? If so.. How do I know which is the first page and where exactly does my father sign (I see no place for signature or date)
  • w1ckedw1cked Registered User Posts: 1,634 Member
    Ugh I totally forgot to sign and date this..am I screwed?
    BTW: Why would I use 4/15/2005

and... hmm I still dont know where he signs (and date)
This discussion has been closed.