Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

how many elite school grads are in those unemployed statistics?

choatecolatechoatecolate Registered User Posts: 173 Junior Member
edited June 2012 in Parents Forum
i hear so many people complain about not having jobs etc... but how many students from ELITE colleges with top majors such as engineering, computer science, economics are affected by this?

im talking top 25 USNews or so...im not interested in those from community college, for profit, or bad state school
Post edited by choatecolate on

Replies to: how many elite school grads are in those unemployed statistics?

• insomniaticinsomniatic - Posts: 1,287 Senior Member
    im not interested in those from community college, for profit, or bad state school

lol "bad" state schools
  • choatecolatechoatecolate Registered User Posts: 173 Junior Member
    huh? im curious as to the difference in employablity in a HPY anthropology grad vs a state school anthropology grad....
  • annasdadannasdad Registered User Posts: 4,827 Senior Member
    That would depend on the individual.
  • oldfortoldfort Registered User Posts: 22,018 Senior Member
    You could go to each school's career center to get the information.
  • weathergaweatherga Registered User Posts: 699 Member
    ... top majors such as engineering, computer science, economics ...

This is a side topic, but I was struck by the OP's mention of "top" majors. Over the long haul, employment prospects for different majors wax and wane. When I graduated as a computer science major in 1978, the job market for computer science grads wasn't good at all. It's been up (way up) and down again at different times in the ensuing decades. I'm less well acquainted with employment prospects for engineers and economists, but I expect that they are not constant over time either.
  • GladGradDadGladGradDad Registered User Posts: 2,818 Senior Member
    but how many students from ELITE colleges with top majors such as engineering, computer science
    The top schools for engineering/computer science are probably not the schools you're thinking of if you're thinking HYP.

And you probably don't hear about many CS grads from schools with top engineering/CS programs, which includes many state universities, complain about not having jobs because most of them end up with multiple offers.

I'm sure the people graduating from the state schools known for their engineering programs do better on the job marketplace than a small state school with an unknown engineering program. Ditto for the privates. But that's a no-brainer so I don't know why you're asking the question.
  • UMMom2015UMMom2015 Registered User Posts: 101 Junior Member
    Sad to say I have an Ivy class of 2012 unemployed engineer.
  • arabrabarabrab Registered User Posts: 5,961 Senior Member
    Hard to say -- I suspect the schools massage these statistics just as much as the law schools have, and with even greater ease.

I am also hearing of a fair number of kids from our town who went to tippy-top colleges who are doing TFA for a couple of years; not sure how much that reflects sincere interest vs.simply productive work when desired jobs aren't available.
  • epiphanyepiphany Registered User Posts: 8,386 Senior Member
    I was about to say that being committed to relocating is often crucial to the first real opportunity in or near one's field of study.
  • ucbalumnusucbalumnus Registered User Posts: 70,535 Senior Member
    oldfort wrote:
    You could go to each school's career center to get the information.

It appears that only a relative few schools have detailed career surveys:
    http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/internships-careers-employment/1121619-university-graduate-career-surveys.html
    (see Cal Poly SLO, CMU, MIT, UC Berkeley, and Virginia Tech for more detailed surveys)
    arabrab wrote:
    I suspect the schools massage these statistics just as much as the law schools have, and with even greater ease.

Given the often poor results reported, it is unlikely that they are all being massaged -- but one must be careful comparing reports from different schools due to differences in survey methodology.
  • ellemenopeellemenope Registered User Posts: 11,380 Senior Member
    Sad to say I have an Ivy class of 2012 unemployed engineer.

Bummer, UMMom2015...
  • parentofpeopleparentofpeople Registered User Posts: 1,326 Senior Member
    DD just graduated and everyone she knows from school either has a great job lined up, or have been accepted to and will be attending grad school. We were actually surprised by this given the employment statistics right now. Her Uni has a strong engineering school and a strong business school and I think that helped a lot. Most of her close friends from home who went to top schools also have jobs lined up or are moving on to grad school as well.

When we went to a grad party for a friend's DD who went to lower ranked school (as did a lot of her HS friends who were there too) we noticed that most of the kids attending did not have jobs lined up or were still trying to figure out what they want to do.

I am not saying all kids from top schools have jobs and all kids from other schools don't, I am just saying the actual observation of recent graduates we have been around showed a clear difference in the employment results.

Obviously not a formal study, but a stark difference.
  • scout59scout59 Registered User Posts: 3,366 Senior Member
    Another biased data point: we just attended D's college graduation last week. Afterwards we were talking to one of her favorite professors, who mentioned what a good year it was for employment of their graduates. Even more anecdotally, all of D's graduating friends have jobs in their field waiting for them post-graduation.

The kicker is, her school is definitely not elite (you've probably never heard of it), and yet these graduates are doing fine. So much depends on the strength of the major and the determination of the student that I think this "HPY anthropology grad vs a state school anthropology grad" comparison is just silly.
  • kiddiekiddie Registered User Posts: 3,095 Senior Member
    Anecdotal information - the one person I know who graduated Harvard last month is unemployed with no job prospects in sight. Majored in Public Health.
This discussion has been closed.