right arrow
GUEST STUDENT OF THE WEEK: AMALehigh is a rising sophomore at Lehigh University, majoring in Finance. He answers questions about academics, networking, finance, Greek life, or Lehigh in general. ASK HIM ANYTHING!
Make sure to check out our July Checklists for HS Juniors and HS Seniors. Consult these quick resources to get you started on the process this month.
As we work to adjust to the current reality, make sure to check out these dedicated COVID-19 resources: our directory of virtual campus tours, our directory of extended deadlines, as well as the list of schools going test optional this fall.

LACs and education majors


Replies to: LACs and education majors

  • emeraldkity4emeraldkity4 34785 replies1076 threads Senior Member
    It looks like at Carleton, students earning an education major are encouraged to student teach during a thirteenth term after graduation.
    I do know someone who is teaching high school from Carleton, but his undergrad was in chemistry. The undergrad degree of the Williams grad was history. They are both teaching at the small private high school they attended.

    Student teaching is also available during their senior year, ( @ Carleton) but undoubtably it is only one part of the curriculum.

    An advantage to earning your education certificate in graduate school rather than undergrad, is more classroom experience.
    Even though my D is only tangentially interested in being in front of a classroom, her two years of classroom experience while earning her MAT added much to her resume.
    · Reply · Share
  • MizzBeeMizzBee 4519 replies60 threads Senior Member
    At DS school those wishing to get a teaching certificate take a 5th year that is tuition free, though they would still need to cover living expenses. It is clearly stated in the material for the school. There is no education major, rather you get secondary (grades 5-12) licensure programs in: English, French, German, Latin, Spanish, Mathematics, Biology, Chemistry, Physics, History, Political Science, Economics and Psychology in addition to the BA in your major. During that time they get 11 weeks of field training and it can be completed as either a 9th semester or a full year (which is required for a science teacher).

    A lot of kids have no idea that they want to be high school teachers until they fall in love iwth a subject in college. I like that a to of schools make it easy to get the major proficiency and offer a way to convert it into a license.
    · Reply · Share
  • SteveMASteveMA 6020 replies59 threads Senior Member
    emeraldkity4--High school teachers, at least in most states with better education systems, have degrees in their subject area, chemistry, biology, whatever, and then get a minor in secondary education--part of which includes the student teaching portion. Elementary education is a major in itself, however.
    · Reply · Share
  • thumper1thumper1 78298 replies3528 threads Senior Member
    SteveMA...in my state, elementary education teachers must also have a content area major...their education courses are done in addition to the content area major. Elementary education is not a solo major here. It used to be, but is not any more. Also, special education teachers in this state are dual certified and must do a student teaching in both regular and special education.

    In virtually all cases now, it takes at least an extra semester to get the courses in for certification and the chosen major.
    · Reply · Share
  • Papa ChickenPapa Chicken 2622 replies219 threads Senior Member
  • ucbalumnusucbalumnus 83431 replies741 threads Senior Member
    EMM1 wrote:
    So here is the bottom line. In my view, unless a) you are absolutely sure that your child is not interested a teaching career or b) money is no object, you should check to be sure that any LAC you are considering allows undergraduates to major in education. Otherwise, cross it off your list.

    This statement can be changed in a general sense to:

    So here is the bottom line. In my view, unless a) you are absolutely sure that your child is not interested a career which requires majoring in [major] or b) money is no object, you should check to be sure that any college or university you are considering allows undergraduates to major in [major]. Otherwise, cross it off your list.
    · Reply · Share
  • MommaJMommaJ 5580 replies189 threads Senior Member
    I don't understand being surprised or "put out" that an LAC doesn't offer a program that certifies one to teach. LAC websites and catalogs aren't keeping any secrets--the available majors and minors are right there for all to see. These colleges are simply not oriented toward career preparation--most don't offer degrees in accounting or nursing, either. It's not their mission.

    Many students enter college with no idea about a potential career or change their minds, often more than once. To cover every single possible career choice your kid might ultimately select, you'd be limited to very large universities, which may not be good matches for other reasons. And if the student doesn't decide on a career choice until late in the game, additional schooling will still be required. That's just the way it goes.

    My D entered college without the slightest interest in teaching. By start of her junior year, it was her chosen profession. But, as has been mentioned, the decision to pursue an education degree that satisfies state licensing requirements must be made early on in one's college career to allow time for all the necessary courses and student teaching. D can't complete an education major at her undergrad institution, so will be going for a joint master's in elementary and special ed. There was really no way to avoid this result.
    · Reply · Share
  • mommamochamommamocha 369 replies0 threads Member
    In many states you cannot earn a teaching degree in four years. A fifth year or certification year or a masters degree are needed. Most school systems have a pay scale that moves you along a progressive scale, the more credits and degrees you've earned as well as the years you've been teaching = the more you earn.
    · Reply · Share
  • moonchildmoonchild 3266 replies30 threads Senior Member
    ^^^That's how it is in California. You major in a subject area for your UG degree, and the the fifth year is education courses and practicum.
    · Reply · Share
  • mommamochamommamocha 369 replies0 threads Member
    Moonchild- That's where I am from. Earned a degree in two subjects then went on to earn my maters and crediential after graduating. I think it makes for better teachers. Master a subject, then master the art of teaching.
    · Reply · Share
This discussion has been closed.

Recent Activity