Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

ROTC and College

12346»

Replies to: ROTC and College

• SamuraiLandsharkSamuraiLandshark Registered User Posts: 3,450 Senior Member
    BTW, I personally only posted this because I wanted to let others know to be on guard as they accept that big check. Read the contract - scholarship winner and parents - understand what it means. Think about the ramifications of anything that can go wrong while an undergrad. To not do so is crazy.

We personally never saw the contract our kid signed. It seems to have gone missing and he never got a copy from battalion. There are more rules about buying homes and cars about legal rights than there are when signing contracts with government.

My kid was not looking to get out of a contract, either. He wanted to serve his country. Not given the option.

I am not here bad mouthing our military - but just trying to open the eyes of 17 and 18 year olds, in love with the idea of serving their country while getting their education paid for. Seemed like a win-win for my kid. Never thought this would happen, or that it was even a possible outcome.

If you want to apply or take that ROTC scholarship, consider the cost of the school. That is all. What would happen if you have to pay back the full list price? Could you or your family do it?

This is what we did not know when he applied to his colleges and created that ROTC school list.
  • DesertIceDesertIce Registered User Posts: 34 Junior Member
    Disclaimer: I was an enlisted Marine, but looked a lot into being an officer before I joined.

Another option to consider is enrolling in Officer Candidate School (OCS) and forgetting ROTC, provided you don't want to worry about the military life during the school year. You won't get a scholarship, but you are free outside of the 10-12 weeks during a summer (usually after junior year) where you go for officer training, then are commissioned upon graduation. Even after you finish OCS during the summer, you can still turn down a commission provided you don't accept tuition assistance.

Officer recruiters are much more selective than enlisted recruiters, so you will get more up front information from them. They aren't looking for 'bodies'; they are looking for potential officers.
  • busdriver11busdriver11 Registered User Posts: 15,164 Senior Member
    "I'm sorry about your kid but standards are standards."

Whew! I am glad that when I was in (or maybe it was the service that I was in), that commanders were very concerned with taking care of their soldiers. They knew that we would be asked to go above and beyond, lose many of our freedoms, potentially risk our lives and be gone sometimes constantly from our family. If there was an issue, people would have warnings, chances, and help if needed. Not the door slammed in their face, just because there were plenty of others who could be recruited for the job.

I feel fortunate that I never had to work with/for anyone with a robotic, "standards are standards" mantra. The officers I knew were intelligent, thinking people, who would stand by and help their boys (and girls) to accomplish whatever they needed.
  • PackMomPackMom Registered User Posts: 7,667 Senior Member
    Most of the guys dropped from S's NROTC unit were ones who didn't make the grades..just didn't survive Calc.,Chem,Physics. One young man was dropped when he caused a wreck on the way to an early morning class. A young woman was killed. The young man had been drinking the night before and still had a blood alcohol content above the limit. He was dropped immediately. There was underage drinking but don't think anyone was dropped specifically for that. The war in the Middle East was raging. They weren't looking to downsize at that point.

S's NROTC class started out w/ 28 midshipman as freshman. At the end of four years, only fourteen or fifteen commissioned.
  • SamuraiLandsharkSamuraiLandshark Registered User Posts: 3,450 Senior Member
    And the take away from this is, in PackMom's son's entering class, only 50% made it to the end. Many of those men and women are currently paying back DFAS.

So if you are a senior getting one of these scholarships, what is your Plan B? What happens if you lose the scholarship? Have to enlist? Pay back cost of education at full list price?

Nobody talks about this.

The kid who killed that young woman is also likely in prison...which is far worse.

If you are going to wash out of ROTC, do it freshman year.
  • ldavisldavis Registered User Posts: 672 Member
    You dont have to be disenrolled...as many predicted...they can just take it away for budget reasons. Marines first, what other branch is next?! Stupid politicians.
    Sequestration Stops Marines Tuition Assistance Program | KPBS.org
This discussion has been closed.