Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Introducing a New Expert Content Section: Careers!

Catholic School Rankings Revisited

124»

Replies to: Catholic School Rankings Revisited

• JuniorMintJuniorMint Registered User Posts: 1,491 Senior Member
    Just my own personal rankings based on my experience with these schools over the years as a student and, now, as a parent:

1) Georgetown
    2) Notre Dame
    3) Boston College
    4) Holy Cross
    5) Fordham

They are all good schools; however, in your shoes, JuniorMint, I would have made the same decision that you did.

Well that makes me glad! Thank you for your ranking. I agree with it completely, although I’m not so partial that I see Georgetown as decidedly better than Notre Dame. It is for me, but that is a touchy distinction.
    Anyone have any sense of which of the Jesuit schools are the most diverse and accepting ethnically? The stats don't always tell the story, so we are most interested in personal experiences and perspectives.

I touched upon economic diversity elsewhere, but I wouldn't dare assume economic diversity equals ethnic diversity.

It sounds like you have seen the stats, but you may find this Diversity Index Ranking interesting.
    USN wrote:
    Campus Ethnic Diversity on a scale of 0.1 to 1.0, with scores closer to 1.0 being more diverse.

Pepperdine University 0.59

University of San Diego 0.51
    Loyola University Chicago 0.50
    Fordham University 0.49

Georgetown University 0.47

Boston College 0.43

University of Notre Dame 0.39

So from this we could assume Notre Dame has the most homogeneous student body. It is predominantly white (78%) and more than half of the class is drawn from private schools. According to their institutional data, the student body is 3% Black, 4% Asian, and 6% Hispanic. I’m sure Notre Dame is very welcoming, but in absolute numbers, there are more diverse student bodies.

From what I observed from the students and alumni, Fordham was satisfyingly diverse. It wasn’t pronounced, but neither was its absence.
  • bluebayoubluebayou Registered User Posts: 25,018 Senior Member
    fyii -- Pepperdine is neither Jesuit nor Catholic. (It's affiliated with the Church of Christ.)
    Well spotted, blue. I apologize everyone.

My Catholic friend going there might be in for a surprise in the fall...;)
  • omzacomzac Registered User Posts: 253 Junior Member
    @Junior Mint -- My son had exactly the same offers as you did down to the finances and chose Georgetown. Although he was offered a full-tuition scholarship to Fordham and I am a Fordham alumn, he fell in love with Georgetown during the GAAP weekend and could not be convinced otherwise. I love Fordham and believe that it is a wonderful place, but the tradition, academic excellence and prestige of Georgetown cannot be denied.
    It's nice to meet again, Omzac! :) I hadn't realized your son and I had such similar adventures.

I'd be interested to meet him, since I think we are both pre-meds.

So how was your experience at Fordham?
124»
This discussion has been closed.