Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Can you please suggest some target schools for my son?

kyliehpkyliehp Registered User Posts: 15 New Member
edited July 2013 in Parents Forum
My son has W GPA of 4.6, ACT 32, Subject Test Bio 760, Math2 740 and plan to major in Bio.
He is having trouble coming up with target schools.
We live in California but out of state is fine with him.

So far this is his list.

Reach: Berkley, UCLA
Between Reach and Target: Vanderbilt, Notre Dame, USC
Target: UCSD, UC Davis, U of NC
Safety: UCSB, U of Wash, U of San Diego
Post edited by kyliehp on

Replies to: Can you please suggest some target schools for my son?

• MarianMarian Registered User Posts: 13,217 Senior Member
    The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill is very difficult to get into from out of state because there is a strict limit on the number of out-of-state students admitted each year.

In my opinion, it should be considered a reach for all out-of-state applicants.
  • happymomof1happymomof1 Registered User Posts: 29,442 Senior Member
    Have you run the Net Price Calculators for each of the places on his list? Do that, and then sit down with him and whoever else is helping to pay for his education. Some of these places my be completely unaffordable for you.
  • NC MomNC Mom Registered User Posts: 813 Member
    Agree with Marian on Chapel Hill. Also, USC should be considered a reach. They are getting more and more selective. DS is a junior at USC and we have seen lots of kids with higher scores than your son rejected. University of Alabama has a guaranteed full tuition scholarship that he will be eligible for if the criteria doesn't change this year. DD has already applied there.
  • Niquii77Niquii77 Registered User Posts: 10,104 Senior Member
    University of Florida - Go Gata.

University of Miami - []_[]
  • katliamomkatliamom Registered User Posts: 12,869 Senior Member
    Can you afford privates and OOS tuition? If so, consider the Claremont colleges, University of Santa Clara. OOS targets would also include University of Colorado (Boulder) and Wisconsin; maybe Northwestern?
  • CalreaderCalreader Registered User Posts: 1,029 Senior Member
    The Claremont colleges are not target schools, with acceptance rates in the low teens!
  • mathmommathmom Registered User Posts: 32,042 Senior Member
    He's got 11 schools and 3 safeties, why does he need more schools? For a high stat kid there often isn't really much between reaches and safeties. That's fine as long as you've identified a few safeties that are good fits.
  • austinareadadaustinareadad Registered User Posts: 671 Member
    With an ACT (25% - 75%) range of 32 - 34, and an admissions rate of 12%, I would think that Vanderbilt would be a reach.
  • twogirlstwogirls Registered User Posts: 6,967 Senior Member
    I agree that Vanderbilt is a reach. UNC- CH is also a reach. If the 3 safety schools are affordable, if you are sure he will get in ( I base this on Naviance), and if he would be happy there, then he is set.
  • oldfortoldfort Registered User Posts: 23,003 Senior Member
    I was going to say that Vanderbilt wouldn't be a target, unless he applies ED.

Without knowing more about size of school, LAC vs Uni, your financial situation, urban vs rural...it would be hard to come up with list of schools.
  • katwkittenskatwkittens Registered User Posts: 2,299 Senior Member
    UNC caps OOS to no MORE than 18% and that number can go lower. Reach is an understatement. For OOS it has reached Ivy-like stats, and ECs. Also Vandy would be a reach.

Kat
    NC resident with a son at UNC
  • thumper1thumper1 Registered User Posts: 76,044 Senior Member
    It's Santa Clara University...not University of Santa Clara.

The original list posted by the OP included a private/OOS publics...all,with costs at or about $50,000 a year. I would agree that affordability needs to be addressed BEFORE applications are sent. Maybe this isn't an issue for this family.
  • CalreaderCalreader Registered User Posts: 1,029 Senior Member
    One more thing - the acceptance rates for UC Davis and UC Santa Barbara are very similar these days. For Fall 2013, the acceptance rate for California students was 37% for Davis and 38.5% for Santa Barbara.
  • bovertinebovertine Registered User Posts: 3,303 Senior Member
    Assuming your S comes from a Cali public similar to our local school, here is our acceptance data (it is public). I'm fairly certain it comes from Naviance.

http://www.pvphs.com/pdf/CollegeAcceptance.pdf

Go to the back and look at the spreadsheets. THe stuff in the front may or may not be fully accurate but the spreadsheets are remarkably consistent over the years. You'll have to convert the ACT to SAT to make the comps.

Of course, your own school Naviance is best, but many schools don't have it.

For example, our school seems to do great at NYU but maybe because of full pay status? IDK.
  • colorado_momcolorado_mom Registered User Posts: 8,892 Senior Member
    Make sure he has researched Bio major. There are not that many job opportunities unless he wants to go to grad school too.... so earmark college savings for that too.
This discussion has been closed.