Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

SAT/ ACT Accommodations- How'd those kids end up doing in college?

2»

Replies to: SAT/ ACT Accommodations- How'd those kids end up doing in college?

• dodgersmomdodgersmom Registered User Posts: 7,311 Senior Member
    And there are so many people with disabilities you can't really see, who hide it well, who can compensate, who pretend like they are lazy even though they aren't just so people won't think they're stupid...

Think about it, LuckyPierre . . . maybe you don't know these kids as well as you think you do.
  • romanigypsyeyesromanigypsyeyes Registered User Posts: 33,646 Senior Member
    No, but I know plenty of kids who flamed out at top colleges who didn't have (or need) accommodations.

My point is that plenty of kids flame out- with or without LDs.
  • dadx3dadx3 Registered User Posts: 1,559 Senior Member
    One of our kids has ADHD and with the extensive documentation required, did get the extra time on the SAT and ACT. He works very hard, and has to put in more time studying than many of his contemporaries. Through hard work he graduated from a top LAC with honors and is in a top 20 PhD program in his field.

With or without accomodations a kid who doesn't want to work hard and just wants to game the system is unlikely to do well at college.
  • YoHoYoHoYoHoYoHo Registered User Posts: 2,001 Senior Member
    Op,
    Who is to know; and unless we are in the head of a particular person, we don't know their true level of 1) disability, 2) lack of motivation, or 3) lack of motivation due to disability.

If a kid has a true disability or lack of motivation and qualifies for extra time on a test, then they probably will need more time in college, will have to work harder in college, or may have a difficult time in college. Kids flame out of college for different reasons.

If the kid basically games the system and has no disability of has no lack of motivation and qualifies for extra time on the test, then realistically, that kid will probably do well in college and will continue on to be successful in their careers because they are actually aggressive enough to game the system. Top, powerful people are generally not "nice guy, rule followers" much to the dismay of you, me, and others.
  • Pro28Pro28 Registered User Posts: 381 Member
    from what I've seen, it's not difficult to get more accommodations in college if you had the documentation to get extra time on the ACT/SATs.
2»
This discussion has been closed.