Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
The Forums will be unavailable Tuesday, June 25 starting at 9 am ET as we prepare for a major design update!

Ivy League/Top 25 University or HBCU?

Replies to: Ivy League/Top 25 University or HBCU?

• bluebayoubluebayou Registered User Posts: 26,694 Senior Member
    Our Income is in the $180k/ year range so financial aid is not a reliable option for us...

Sure it is, at the Ivies. H has a tuition cap of $180k income. Of course, Y & P and S are competitive. Of course, it may not be a full ride, but HYPS at a major discount might be tempting.

The simple answer is to apply broadly and compare packages next March.
    matriculate....in an accelerated dental program

Most accelerated programs are almost never a good choice. Good students will still get into good professional schools, particularly a good student with a hook. Moreover, you lose the ability to compare financial aid offers for grad school and the accelerated school will expect you to be full pay (aka 100% loans).
  • ucbalumnusucbalumnus Registered User Posts: 76,731 Senior Member
    Re: financial aid

Net Price Calculator indicates that a family of 4 with 1 in college, income $180,000, and $240,000 of assets would have a net price of $41,300 at Harvard. However, this is likely the best possible financial aid based on the stated income level and the only assets being the stated 529 plan money -- if the parents have other assets, the net price will be higher.
  • WatchfulEyeWatchfulEye Registered User Posts: 76 Junior Member
    Good point about the accelerated programs I do not think they are binding though. I'll keep this important point on my radar. With good grades in undergraduate, hopefully, if he misses CA we have plenty of good choices for professional school here as well.
  • Youdon'tsayYoudon'tsay Registered User Posts: 19,526 Senior Member
    I don't have a lot of advice but just want to pat you on the back for thinking of these things now. The good news is you've got lots of time still, and chances are his thinking on this is likely to change. My one piece of advice is to leave all the options open, even after he starts applying. Put a variety of schools in the mix so that he'll have choices come April of senior year.

My ds also is mixed race but always has identified as Hispanic. Once the college process rolled around, it was interesting to hear him articulate his thoughts. He's going to his dream school and had opportunities for things like pre-orientation programs based on ethnicity, but he's didn't want those. As he says, he doesn't want to be the Hispanic kid who does this or that; he wants to be the kid who does this or that and also happens to be Hispanic. He attended a school that was 25% Hispanic, but his ethnicity is not how he had ever defined himself -- it's just one aspect of who he is. I wonder how things might have been different if he was severely in the minority as his African American friends were. Fewer than 10 AA kids were in his graduating class.
  • WatchfulEyeWatchfulEye Registered User Posts: 76 Junior Member
    Thanks. Sseamom pm me so we can exchange ideas etc.
    Good point about the accelerated programs I do not think they are binding though. I'll keep this important point on my radar.

Check also how high the college GPA and DAT score requirement for the streamlined dental school admission is.
  • dadxdadx Registered User Posts: 2,651 Senior Member
    My advice would be to cast a wide net in the application process, to the point of having people criticize you for applying to too many places, or for not already knowing what you want. Only then will you see what your exact choices will be.
  • mompommompom Registered User Posts: 39 Junior Member
    If you are planning on passing thru NYC, I suggest that you take a look at Fordham, the Rose Hill campus. They give significant merit scholarships to students with high grades and scores (and full tuition scholarships to NMSF). While it is a university, it has small classes like a LAC. There is a lot of personal attention and a science integrated learning community where students planning on majoring in science can dorm together. The campus is beautiful and it is a quick ride on the school's van or the metro north commuter rail (which stops steps from the campus gate) into Manhattan.
  • katwkittenskatwkittens Registered User Posts: 2,300 Senior Member
    Four of my kiddos applied to various HBCUs and the elite privates as well as in state public flagships and OOS public flagships and the service academies. Like others have stated, they casted a very wide and deep (24 apps min) net. They were looking for the best "fit" for them, their goals and $$$.

One ended up at an ivy, one an OOS public, one at an in state HBCU and one at a service academy. Two ended up turning down the service academy appts, others turned down an ivy for the OOS public. Three were pre-health (1 pre-dental, 1 pre-med, 1 pre-vet) so they were looking at professional schools as well and the expense that entails.

Our EFC was much, much lower than yours but was concerned about the bottom line out of pocket.

I would strongly suggest the thread about the full ride scholies and take a look at the pre-med forum here on CC where many of these issues are addressed, especially the money.

Middle son is currently a med student (ivy grad, in-state med school on scholie) and he strongly advises to look at the current med school pricing. It is an eye opener. And it goes up every year. He too would NOT advise the accelerated programs.

Emory has the Presidential Scholars scholie, UNC does offer some merit (morehead and Robertson) as does Duke, Vandy offers a diversity scholie, Davidson in NC as does WPI. All strong in STEM.

Feel free to PM.

Kat
  • HannaHanna Registered User Posts: 14,905 Senior Member
    I agree with bluebayou that HYPS may be within reach for your son, and I would not be surprised if you got a generous financial aid package from them. You should certainly include one or more on your list if your son finds them to be a fit. Your son should do overnights at Fisk, Morehouse, or Howard and attend classes in his intended major if he is strongly considering an HBCU. If it's not an academic match, he'll likely know right away.
  • GeekMom63GeekMom63 Registered User Posts: 1,957 Senior Member
    I would be concerned about any college where the child is in the very top parts of the applicant pool. I have a young friend who went for the massive scholarship in the much lower college, and he was very dissatisfied. In addition to visiting classes more than once, your son should also attempt to stay overnight. Good luck!
    GeekMom63 wrote:
    I would be concerned about any college where the child is in the very top parts of the applicant pool.

But if that were true, then most admissions safeties would unsatisfying, since most admissions safeties would have mostly students with much lower academic credentials (the exceptions may be situations like auto-admit-top-7%-or-10% for Texas residents at the Texas public universities).

Whether such a school would be satisfying for the student likely depends on whether there are enough other high achieving students that make it worth it for the school to offer courses suitable for them (large schools and those with a wide distribution of student abilities may have an advantage here). This may also depend on the student's major -- some majors may attract the better students, while others may be seen as "gut" majors that are filled with the lower achievers (the rigorous majors and "gut" majors are not necessarily the same at each school).

In other words, consider who the best students at the school are (and how many of them there are, and in which major(s)), rather than the worst students (who define the admissions selectivity of the school), for this purpose.
  • MarianMarian Registered User Posts: 13,241 Senior Member
    I would be concerned about any college where the child is in the very top parts of the applicant pool.
    But if that were true, then most admissions safeties would unsatisfying

Yes, and there was a long thread on this just last week.
  • LakeWashingtonLakeWashington Registered User Posts: 9,315 Senior Member
    North Carolina Central University, an HBCU and a member of the UNC system, has a cross-registration agreement also. NCCU students can take courses across town at Duke University. You might be surprised to hear that NCCU's undergraduate core is considered by some to be among the best in the UNC system. At one time, NCCU offered full rides and free laptops to high caliber entering Freshmen.

The major drawback for some folks concerning the school is the location. The immediate neighborhood around NCCU is "frayed," but then again some blocks near Duke aren't Beverly Hills either.
  • HuntHunt Registered User Posts: 26,918 Senior Member
    If you look at a place with cross-registration options, find out how many people actually do it, and how difficult it is to get those classes. Make sure it's not just theoretical.
This discussion has been closed.