Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Ivy League/Top 25 University or HBCU?

13»

Replies to: Ivy League/Top 25 University or HBCU?

• ucbalumnusucbalumnus Registered User Posts: 76,655 Senior Member
    NCCU / Duke cross registration is described here:
    Interinstitutional Registration | Office of the University Registrar

When looking at cross-registration possibilities, also consider commuting distances between the schools (fortunately, http://maps.google.com can suggest routes between two places by walking/running, bicycling, and public transportation as well as by car).
  • katwkittenskatwkittens Registered User Posts: 2,299 Senior Member
    Along the lines of NCCU is NCA&T, also an HBCU and also in the UNC system. A&T is in Greensboro, very close to UNC Greensboro. While NCCU has a law school and is more humanities centered, A&T has the accredited Engineering school, Ag and life sciences, nursing....much more STEM centered. It is a smaller public, 4000+ undergrads and has maintained its individual character even though it is a state institution.

It produces animal sciences grads that head off to vet school, very similar to NCSU but classes sizes are soooo much smaller than NCSU, true for the engineering classes and many of the STEM classes with labs. There is one central cafeteria that has the BEST food hands down!! and a very cohesive student body. Lots and lots of tradition.

The vet school is at NCSU, the med schools are at UNC Chapel Hill and ECU, dental at UNC CH and a new one at ECU and A&T feeds into them all. The advantage is an LAC feel with the resources of the UNC system. And lots of alumni at all the right locations to help out.

Can you tell I was an NC A&T mom???? But full disclosure between undergrad/grad schools and 5 kiddos I am also an NCSU and UNC CH mom as well!!

Kat

and the in-state tuition was worth moving 3000+ miles!! one more ps...A&T's new Nanoengineering school is the BOMB! Two brand new facilities and lots of research.....
  • thumper1thumper1 Registered User Posts: 76,082 Senior Member
    There are plenty of wonderful colleges that are not Ivies, HBCU or top 25. If you broaden your search, you will likely find some wonderful schools outside of these three categories.

Is there some reason only these three types are being considered?
  • LakeWashingtonLakeWashington Registered User Posts: 9,315 Senior Member
    Good points from Hunt and Ucbalumnus about the convenience, or lack thereof, of commuting to another campus to take advantage of cross-registered courses. Investigate and scrutinize.

Also, good points about NCA&T. The Nanoscience Department at the Engineering School has been well received. I've been on that campus and know some alumni, most of whom are quite happy with the education they earned at NCA&T. Take note that OOS tuition at NCA&T and other UNC system campuses has significantly increased in recent years, so look for a scholarship opportunity.
  • Pennylane2011Pennylane2011 Registered User Posts: 2,716 Senior Member
    One question I have about cross registration is that classes will fill. Who will get priority registration? In some cases- and it makes sense to do so- seniors, students in that major, and students who need the class to graduate on time would get priority- so would some of them be full with students from that school before the spots are open to others?
  • sbjdorlosbjdorlo Registered User Posts: 5,264 Senior Member
    OP,

I agree with the others that say cast a wide net. But you also want to listen to your child. Since you have the luxury of a high income and good savings, allow your son to get a feel for all possible schools as you travel.

I love that he's so sensible and mature. Do you get the feeling that he'd do well anywhere? Or does he need to be with intellectual peers?

For the record, my oldest son is 1/2 Puerto Rican, 1/2 Caucasian and he was accepted to all 10 of his schools including two Ivies, three tech schools, and three safeties, one with a full ride +. (That was UT Dallas' McDermott Scholars Program) He chose the best fit, MIT, and it was a great choice.

We are also from Ca. and he didn't apply to any UCs. We would qualify for the blue/gold program but it would still be more expensive to attend one of them than to attend MIT.

At the time he chose, we didn't know about his NM Corporate scholarship and that caused some stress until we knew the amount.

Since your son plans to do graduate school and beyond, it makes sense to have some excellent full ride options. After all the visits are done, he will probably have more of a sense what he likes/dislikes.

Keep us posted!
  • mythmommythmom Registered User Posts: 8,305 Senior Member
    I suggest you look into Rhodes. A CC's D got a full ride there and went on to Yale Med School.
  • WatchfulEyeWatchfulEye Registered User Posts: 76 Junior Member
    Thanks for all the great comments.To answer the question: I think my son will do well anywhere. He does not have a competitive me first bone in his body. I can see him doing peer tutoring etc if he goes to a less competitive environment. He gets the most pleasure out of helping others. That's why a career in medicine or dentistry may be a good choice for him. Time will tell.
  • momof3sonsmomof3sons Registered User Posts: 5,116 Senior Member
    WatchfulEye,
    I work in college counseling in a public high school which is overwhelmingly African-American. One of our very top students turned down Ivy acceptances to go to North Carolina A&T. They have an honors college where all the students must have a minimum SAT score in order to matriculate and also have the Lewis Dowdy scholarship named after a past administrator which gives up to 40 students "a free ride." This merit award was a major reason why our student turned down Ivy acceptances. Good luck to your very talented son. I'm sure he'll have lots of great options!
  • LBowieLBowie Registered User Posts: 1,842 Senior Member
    Has your son read How to Be Black by Baratunde Thurston? The reason I ask is the author also struggled with similar questions of where to attend college. He went to an elite private school for high school and also was immersed in Black culture growing up. Ended up at Harvard.
  • HannaHanna Registered User Posts: 14,905 Senior Member
    Great recommendation. :) Baratunde Thurston is my classmate, and he was a star during undergrad.
This discussion has been closed.