Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Teaching yourself a curriculum

grayfilegrayfile Registered User Posts: 8 New Member
edited July 2013 in Parents Forum
im a young man who needs help studying. I haven't been in school for 4-5 years and it seems foreign to me. I was in the middle of teaching myself a curriculum but unfortunately I need help(water distribution/wastewater). I can't take a class on it because it interferes with my work schedule.

I took an exam on the subject and failed horribly. I want to know from you all, is it possible to teach yourself a curriculum without a class and internet class? If so, I'd like to hear it.
Post edited by grayfile on

Replies to: Teaching yourself a curriculum

• happymomof1happymomof1 Registered User Posts: 27,999 Senior Member
    If you have access to books and other materials that contain the information covered in the examination that you are preparing for, it certainly is possible to teach yourself the information.

Try to get a detailed description of the information that the exam covers.
  • grayfilegrayfile Registered User Posts: 8 New Member
    Thats the thing. I failed the first time. When i took the exam, a MAJORITY of stuff on the test wasn't even in the study guide. I studied off the study guide. I tried looking at a practice exam book but it was outdated.
  • happymomof1happymomof1 Registered User Posts: 27,999 Senior Member
    Surely there are more recent practice materials out there - possibly online. You also should get in touch with others who are in the process of preparing for this exam. They will have ideas for you too.
  • mathmommathmom Registered User Posts: 30,907 Senior Member
    Sounds like the problem was with the study guide. You need better materials. Can't really help you as I am not really familiar with the subject. (Though I did teach myself to size a simple dry well from looking at several samples and reading the manual for our county.)
    I've checked on amazon for recent materials/study guides. Unfortunately a MAJORITY of the books are outdated. Furthermore, I don't know of anybody who is taking the same course I am. I've gone to the nearest wastewater plant and gotten a tour of the site and that's pretty much it.
  • amarylandmomamarylandmom Registered User Posts: 631 Member
    I have done self studying for tests in the financial field . . .and I must say that it is a big problem when the study materials don't match up well to the test. I had some similar issues. I was getting 95% on practice tests - - which did translate to a pass, but at a much lower level (like 83% when passing was 75%).

I think the study materials are mission critical.

Have you looked online to see if anyone offers the course online?

If there is no course online, can you call places that actually offer the course you need and explain that while you'd love to take there course, you cannot because of the schedule conflict - - but ask if you could buy a set of the materials that they use to teach the class.

In so far as the actual studying is concerned . . .practice tests are ideal, but it sounds like you don't have any or many accessible to use?

I suggest making extensive notes while you are reading the course materials. Then, literally COPY every single important point in your notes AGAIN.

If anything is in a list format, memorize the list. Read it. Then try to write it from memory. Same for important definitions or formulas.

These are study techniques that have helped me. Writing somehow cements things in your brain a lot better than simply re-reading.
  • amarylandmomamarylandmom Registered User Posts: 631 Member
    Can you tell us the specific test or certification you are studying for?
    wastewater management certification. Yeah, its hard. I need to be in a classroom. On my own, no dice. I process information better while in class.
This discussion has been closed.