Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

What can I become?

2»

Replies to: What can I become?

• colorado_momcolorado_mom Registered User Posts: 8,892 Senior Member
    Yes, community college would be a great place to sort though things.
  • wis75wis75 Registered User Posts: 13,892 Senior Member
    You need to discuss with your HS guidance counselor which Indiana schools (presume you live there from colleges mentioned) you are likely to be accepted into when school starts this fall. Your gpa sounds low for Purdue and engineering programs often have minimum gpa's in related subjects for various programs such as engineering. Your best bet may be starting at a community college where you can take many courses needed before engineering (such as calculus and other general college credits) while getting stellar grades. You will either do well and want engineering or discover another field while there. You can then apply to Purdue (or elsewhere) with better grades.

You also should do your best to learn as much as you can in HS- you want the best foundation for college classes you can get. Your senior year grades may not be as influential as your current gpa in being accepted to colleges but will give you good study habits and set you up for success in any college.
  • Emaheevul07Emaheevul07 Registered User Posts: 5,966 Senior Member
    Hi Gabriela. You've already gotten great advice, but I just wanted to chime in to tell you I had almost identical stats in high school, and after a year of community college I had a 3.7 and could go almost anywhere I wanted. It's never too late to turn it around and do really, really well. I never knew I could do that well and things just clicked for me in college.

Scholarships for transfer students are incredibly hard to come by. I wasn't offered any and I applied to maybe five or six Michigan state schools. The big money is saved to entice incoming freshmen. But, you and I were in the same situation.. My stats were too low to get scholarships as a freshman anyway. Start planning now how you will finance those two years at Purdue or wherever you go, and don't plan to borrow it all. I did and I should have lived at home to save money and worked my tail off to pay for as much as I could without debt.
  • Gabriela1696Gabriela1696 Registered User Posts: 32 Junior Member
    Thank you all for your advice! I will have a conversation about college with my counselor once school starts in August. Although my dream was to go straight into a university, I think community college would be a safe alternative. Purdue University- Calumet seems like my number one choice right now since I believe it will be easier to transfer into the actual university it is a part of. Again, thank you!
  • JRCLMomJRCLMom Registered User Posts: 64 Junior Member
    I'm another one who questions if engineering is the right choice for you. Most engineers live and breathe math and science--they're the ones on the robotics team and joining the math league, maybe the computer club or A/V Club (or whatever it's called these days). My husband and I are both engineers, and of our 4 kids, only one has the "engineering gene"--a cluster of personality traits that is typical. These are the kids who do extra credit for calculus class because it's fun.

That said, I think you're wise to consider community college to improve yourself, and hopefully, you'll find out what you really love to do. In addition to steering you to college choices, your GC can give you things like an "interest test", where you can see where your specific interests mesh with certain careers. You really need to find where your strengths and interests meet, and see what careers will allow both.
This discussion has been closed.