Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Thank you notes for teachers who write recommendations

jsrcmomjsrcmom Registered User Posts: 81 Junior Member
My son wants to give his teachers who wrote him recommendations and his GC hand written thank you notes. He asked me and I'm not sure - is there a protocol for this? When he was younger we would always enclose a gift card to Starbucks or something with an end of the year thank you note, but not sure if this is appropriate in this circumstance. Would like to hear what others have done. Thanks

Replies to: Thank you notes for teachers who write recommendations

• davenmamedavenmame Registered User Posts: 378 Member
    My sons wrote/write handwritten thank you notes as soon as they are aware that the recommendation has been submitted. I had suggested a small gift card to be included in their notes, but they both voted NO! on that one. Several of the recommenders responded saying how pleased they were to receive a "handwritten" thank you note - stating that doesn't happen too often anymore and how much they appreciated it.
  • FallGirlFallGirl Registered User Posts: 8,004 Senior Member
    Both of my kids hand wrote thank you notes and enclosed Barnes & Noble gift cards (except for one teacher who was a huge Starbucks fan, she got a Starbucks card, natch). This is fairly standard in the schools they attended.
  • EllieMomEllieMom Registered User Posts: 1,878 Senior Member
    In my experience, a handwritten thank you note is always appropriate. I'm impressed that your son thought of that on his own! :)
  • MysonsdadMysonsdad Registered User Posts: 1,120 Senior Member
    A note for a recommendation when applying for a college is fine. I always thought that a small gift card would be nice if I wrote a recommendation letter for a scholarship especially if the student received the scholarship, after all, I did help them get money. I have never received either despite all the letters of recommendations I have written.
  • mathmommathmom Registered User Posts: 32,046 Senior Member
    My kids did handwritten notes and small boxes of gourmet chocolates from the college towns. They actually waited till they got into colleges and had decided where they were going. My younger son wrote a particularly gushy letter to his GC about how fantastic her letter must have been because he got into so many reachy colleges. She called me up in tears she was so moved. Apparently GCs don't get a lot of love.
  • yauponyaupon Registered User Posts: 582 Member
    edited May 2014
    D wrote notes; we included gift cards that varied based on what we knew about the teachers' interests. She has also stayed in touch with several teachers, meeting for coffee or lunch a couple of times a year when home on breaks. A couple of them have said that this continuing contact has been very meaningful, as in our big city they often never see or hear from their former students again.
  • billcshobillcsho Registered User Posts: 18,405 Senior Member
    My D sent those several months ago with small gifts attached. I know my friend put in $25 gift card in each instead.
  • mommamochamommamocha Registered User Posts: 369 Member
    Like most of the others here, my child wrote thank you notes and enclosed a gift card to Starbucks. Thank you notes feel mandatory to me, it takes a heafty amount of time to write these letters.
  • moonchildmoonchild Registered User Posts: 3,296 Senior Member
    I agree about the thank you notes being "mandatory." Gifts are optional and could be tailored to the individuals and the school culture.
  • LakeWashingtonLakeWashington Registered User Posts: 9,315 Senior Member
    A greeting card with a handwritten note goes a long way. The people who wrote letters for Lake Jr. told him they appreciated the cards a lot.
  • TmkniesTmknies Registered User Posts: 74 Junior Member
    D sent hand written notes to both and included a $10 dunkin donuts gift card in each. Both were big coffee drinkers.
  • mom2futengmom2futeng Registered User Posts: 37 Junior Member
    D bought thank you cards, wrote a short note of appreciation and we included a gift card for the 3 individuals who wrote most of her recommendations. I know one of the teachers often did the letters or answered the emails with the internet directions in the evenings. I felt it was only appropriate for my D to thank him for his time.
  • Erin's DadErin's Dad Super Moderator Posts: 36,436 Super Moderator
    My D baked cookies for her teachers who provided recommendations.
  • thumper1thumper1 Registered User Posts: 76,073 Senior Member
    My kids wrote thank you notes. The teachers who wrote references were amongst their favorite teachers. We gave each a gift card too. BUT, we didn't send them until after final exams.
  • jsrcmomjsrcmom Registered User Posts: 81 Junior Member
    I appreciate all the good ideas. S is waiting until after finals and has decided to include a gift card to Amazon with the notes. :)
This discussion has been closed.