Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

College Visits

2»

Replies to: College Visits

• parentofpeopleparentofpeople Registered User Posts: 1,326 Senior Member
    If you are considering breaking it into two trips and add Penn. fly into Philly and see Penn, Princeton and Columbia. Then fly into Boson for MIT, Harvard and Yale in the other trip.
  • ClassicRockerDadClassicRockerDad Registered User Posts: 6,365 Senior Member
    I often do one way rentals and use either hotwire or carrentals,com. I don't find them to be ridiculously expensive. I'm doing a one-way rental from Lehigh Valley Airport to Boston at the end of June it's $100 through Budget.

I've also had occasion to fly out of Boston and return to Manchester or Providence where I rent a car to return to Boston to get my own car.

When I do business in New Jersey, the optimal travel is first flight Boston to Newark in the morning and then drive back because flying out of Newark airport in the evening usually takes more time than driving. I think the JetBlue Newark-Boston flight has a very very small on-time rating, with delays of hours not uncommon.

I've found that emergency one-way rentals, like if you just drop the car off at another airport, are really expensive, but if you plan reserve in advance, it's not that bad.
  • barbfam1barbfam1 Registered User Posts: 99 Junior Member
    I did a one way rental when DS2 and I took a tour of SE colleges this past March. I was planning to fly into Charlotte, NC and then drive to Atlanta and then Nashville and fly home from Nashville. Rental car for 5 days was going to be almost $1000.00. But by flying INTO Atlanta and driving to Nashville and then returning car in Charlotte, I was able to save 50% on one way rental and flights turned out to be a bit cheaper that way too. Then I was able to use National Rental Car online codes (to be used by University of GA alum,employees, etc - used to work there eons ago, but rental companies do not even check) and got a luxury car rental down to $350.00 there. Still expensive, but my point is to definitely check different pick up and drop off locations, using a code that does not upcharge for a one way rental. Since cars are plentiful and cheap out of ATL, I was able to get a much better deal than Charlotte
  • whittywhitty Registered User Posts: 6 New Member
    We finally finalized our plans with flying into Boston, visiting Harvard and MIT, taking Amtrak to Yale and than Metro North to NYC and visiting Columbia flying home from LaGuardia. Princeton is very low on the list because of the specific program he is looking at. All of these replies have been great - thank you so much.
  • donnaleighgdonnaleighg Registered User Posts: 1,576 Senior Member
    so it's none of my business, but are you visiting any "safeties"? I'm sure your kid is awesome, but it's not good to have not visited those schools "lower down" on the list.
  • whittywhitty Registered User Posts: 6 New Member
    I totally understand your comment - safeties are on the list along with state schools and other privates. This is not our first round with college admissions. First child was very similar stats, extra curricular. However, they were in a total different major interest and year - not counting on the same results. Child #1 was admitted to Harvard, Cornell and Yale but choose UT Austin as a Forty Acre Scholar.
  • brantlybrantly Registered User Posts: 3,738 Senior Member
    Child #1 was admitted to Harvard, Cornell and Yale but choose UT Austin as a Forty Acre Scholar.
    Wow. Good for him!
This discussion has been closed.