Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

All dual enrollment for highschool

OakbirchOakbirch Registered User Posts: 4 New Member
My son is finishing what would be his 9th grade year. He is registered as home schooled with our county and takes all of his classes dual enrollment at our community college. (this year was six, will probably average 6 - 8 per year). Does anyone else have a child that does this? Are there any negatives when it comes time for college admissons? I'm not necessarily concerned that he get college credit for all of these classes, we are just trying to provide a challenging curricula for him for high school. If he's not granted credit, will most schools use them for placement? What we don't want is for him to have to retake a lot of courses.

Our state universities are not a problem, they will transfer the credits. I'm thinking more OOS or privates if he chooses that option down the road. He doesn't have any specific schools in mind yet, so I can't really call and ask. I'm thinking more in general.

Replies to: All dual enrollment for highschool

• bookwormbookworm Registered User Posts: 8,809 Senior Member
    It was many years ago, but we learned that the elite schools counted the local U classes as HS courses. Mine was still at HS, but took 2-5 classes at local U each semester. Those grades were not counted with his GPA, so he could not be Val. At state schools, he had so many extra classes he would be considered a junior, although he would have needed 3 years to fulfill his major. fast forward 8 years, and now kids like yours--tops in their class--are allowed to attend all classes at local U. Had my son stayed for senior year, attending a state U, schools such as HY would have considered him a transfer student.

As I said, as long as your son does not exceed the typical credit requirements, he will be considered to be a freshman. some colleges will give him some credit for classes, but others will not. Most of this information is available of each college websites.
  • Mom2aphysicsgeekMom2aphysicsgeek Registered User Posts: 4,499 Senior Member
    If he takes 6 to 8 classes per yr, what exactly will he be taking? Assuming all of them are 3 cr classes (which they shouldn't be if he is taking any lab sciences) that will be 24-30 classes or 72-90 cr hrs. It only takes 60 cr hrs to earn an AA. I cannot fathom spending 4 yrs at a CC.

I am not an advocate for early graduation, but I would graduate my child early before spending that much time at a CC.
  • Cardinal FangCardinal Fang Registered User Posts: 18,311 Senior Member
    Starting at community college as a ninth grader is not unusual for homeschoolers-- I know of numerous homeschoolers who have done just that. Those students have had admissions and academic success.

I suggest getting in touch with homeschooling groups, who will be more familiar with this kind of education than parents of schooled children.
    Fwiw, I have homeschooled for 20 yrs and have graduated 4 students. While it is not uncommon for homeschoolers to dual enroll as early as 9th grade, it is not common to plan 4 entire yrs of high school strictly on a CC campus.
  • ucbalumnusucbalumnus Registered User Posts: 76,643 Senior Member
    College courses taken before high school graduation generally do not disqualify the student from applying as frosh. Check admissions web pages for colleges to be sure.

Transfer credit and placement policies at private schools vary. Unless there is a premade articulation listing for transfer credit and placement, the previously taken college courses would have to be individually evaluated by the receiving school. Note that credit units, subject credit, and placement into more advanced courses do not necessarily all go together (i.e. it is possible to get credit units, but not subject credit or placement, or placement and/or subject credit but not credit units).

If the student may be pre-med or pre-law, be aware that grades in college courses taken while in high school do count for application to medical or law school.

Taking more than about 60 credits (or 90 if quarter system) at a CC could still be worthwhile if the student wants to explore introductory level courses in a lot of different areas, but less so if the student wants to continue into more advanced course work in his/her chosen areas of interest.
  • OakbirchOakbirch Registered User Posts: 4 New Member
    edited May 2014
    Actually the plan as of right now is to do another year at the community college and then apply to the state flagship's dual enrollment program for the last two years (state flagship requires student to be at least a junior). We have considered graduating him after three years of dual enrollment. One concern though is that he will miss out on taking the PSAT and being eligible for NMF scholarships unless we make a decision really soon and have him take the test this fall. Also, though he is a very strong student, he does not yet know what direction he wants to go as far as majors, careers, etc. I want him to have the time to discover that before he is officially in college.

He is taking/going to take mainly core classes (math, science, English, foreign language and history) at the community college. At the state flagship he will have a wider availability of courses to choose from so he will explore a little. But this is the reason for my concern. He will have taken a lot of undergrad level college courses by the time he graduates highschool. If he can get some transfer credit or place into higher level classes then great. But if not, is he left with having to repeat a bunch of classes? I can't see him being willing to do that, so I'm wondering if some of his future college choices might be limited.
  • Cardinal FangCardinal Fang Registered User Posts: 18,311 Senior Member
    There are two issues: credit for his college classes, and placement for his college classes. The better the college, the less likely he is to get college credit for the classes he has taken. But in my experience, almost any college will give him placement. He won't have to take Spanish 1, or Calculus, or Intro to Bio, if he can demonstrate to the college that he already knows what he would learn in that course. Repeating classes should not be a concern.
    The answer to your last question depends on the school. Some will allow the courses for placement, some will allow only certain # of credit hrs! some will give credit after reviewing the course and determining if it matches ther criteria, etc.

Fwiw, the reason I stated that I am opposed to early graduation is bc they have to stand out amongst peers that have had 4 yrs to develop their passions and become involved in research projects, etc. Early graduation does not earn bonus pts for being younger. They have to be as competitive in fewer yrs.

I have no experience taking the approach you are using. I love teaching my kids and I don't outsource classes until they are beyond my ability to work with them at home. Graduating near jr level status is the most we have ever done.

Here is an article I glanced through the other day that is similar to what you are describing.
    http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/sideshow/florida-teen-graduates-high-school-and-college-in-same-week-140934181.html
  • sseamomsseamom Registered User Posts: 4,905 Senior Member
    OP, I have a friend who did exactly as you and your S are doing. She is now a 21 yo Ph. D. student at the same college she where she got her bachelor's. She got her AA degree a week or two before her HS diploma. Sge is considered to be gifted, and she dual-enrolled for the challenge. I don't know how many colleges she applied to, only the two she had to decide between. Both are highly regarded LAC's and both admitted her as a junior. Like the Florida girl above, my friend's D was in the news for her achievement. Good luck to you-my friend's son is taking fewer CC classes and will likely enter college as a freshman or sophomore, but for her older child, it was the right choice.
  • OakbirchOakbirch Registered User Posts: 4 New Member
    Thanks for the replies and encouraging stories! My takeaway is that, overall, having to repeat college courses is not going to be an issue at most schools. There's a good chance he will want to stay at the state flagship where he will be dual enrolled and I know for sure they will accept all of his credits so this probably won't be an issue anyway. I just want to keep as many doors open for him as possible.
  • aigiqinfaigiqinf Registered User Posts: 4,032 Senior Member
    edited May 2014
    I took a lot of dual-enrollment courses while in high school. My advice?

1. Don't take online classes for any class you want credit for later on when there's a face-to-face option; they're far less likely to transfer.
    2. Take a look at transfer credit policies. Emory's College of Arts and Sciences will accept 24 credit hours; its Oxford College will take 32. Many other top schools, however, will not grant you any credit and they can't really offer you "placement" instead when certain courses are required for the major.
    3. Public schools are far less likely to grant credit than private schools.
    4. Don't stay a fifth year to finish an associate's degree (or additional associate's degrees).
    5. Make sure you apply as a freshman student. It's less competitive for top schools than transfer admissions and it's what those schools want you to do.
    6. Consider taking a few AP tests at another high school so you could still get some credit that way if the schools you're aiming at won't take credit.
    7. Any grades they earn now may count toward their GPA for law school, so keep that in mind if they're considering it.
    edited May 2014
    Aigiqinf, I agree with many of your points. #1 is one we saw on a lot of school websites. #7 should also include that the GPA may transfer in for you UG degree. Strong students dual enrolling are normally not impacted by that negatively, but kids that are marginal students may find that a DE course from 9th10th grade impacts their GPA negatively. #5 is especially important in terms of merit scholarships and many honors college opportunities.

Where I don't agree is with #3. It really boils down to a school by school issue. We had many people tell us that certain publics wouldn't accept ds's DE credits, but they did. (Though one dean was quite explicit in stating that the courses were accepted bc they were taught on a university campus vs at a CC.) The limitation of AP/transfer cr hrs is the main thing ds ran into. Schools varied from accepting 0 to 16 max to all accepted.
  • ConsolationConsolation Registered User Posts: 23,020 Senior Member
    I would think that one factor here would be the population served at the CC, and thus the quality of the courses. In my area, the CC is a combination of vocational training and "gen ed" coursework. (In recent years it has been reinvented as a CC, rather than a technical college.) It generally serves either people who want to pursue a vocational course--computer graphics, food prep, building trades, fire fighting, etc--or students who did poorly in HS and hope to transfer to a 4-yr state U. It is not for kids who would be on the AP/IB track in HS, or who have exceeded those offerings. Until recently, for example, they didn't offer calculus at all. So many of the classes are not equivalent to an honors or AP HS class, much less a university class.

On the other hand, I read about CCs here where kids go to take multivariable calculus or whatever when they have exhausted their HS's offerings in math.

It seems to me that, unless your CC serves a population that is very strong academically, it would be a shame to skip good university classes because theoretically your kid has "college credit" in a subject.

I realize that that is not the question you asked, though. :)
  • billcshobillcsho Registered User Posts: 18,405 Senior Member
    Some boss's D did that but she also retake some of the classes at University even though she got good grades and credit on them from CC. The only thing she missed was the club and EC activities at regular HS.
  • ucbalumnusucbalumnus Registered User Posts: 76,643 Senior Member
    It seems to me that, unless your CC serves a population that is very strong academically, it would be a shame to skip good university classes because theoretically your kid has "college credit" in a subject.

However, if the CC courses do cover the material in the university course, they could allow the student to substitute more advanced courses, which give the student the opportunity to explore a subject more deeply, while usually getting a better classroom experience (smaller classes than the often-large introductory-level classes), compared to repeating the previously-taken material. If the student is not sure how well the CC (or AP) course covered the material relative to the university course, s/he can try the old final exams for the university course to check his/her knowledge.
This discussion has been closed.