right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
We’ve got a new look! Walk through the key updates here.

Apply to USC or not?

2»

Replies to: Apply to USC or not?

• Deuga7Deuga7 63 replies1 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 64 Junior Member
    sbjdorlo, I stumbled onto the number of people admitted to game design and a couple other SCA majors under one or more of the USC acceptance threads a few months ago. Unfortunately, the CC search functions aren't working right now. It appears CC is aware and is working on it.
    · Reply · Share
  • aunt beaaunt bea 9742 replies61 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 9,803 Senior Member
    OP, our son was admitted to USC but as a National Merit winner, he was only given ½ tuition. (He had multiple hooks as well). After looking at the rest of the offers, USC ended up being one of the more expensive universities for our budget in a family of 5.

One of my good friends has a daughter attending USC. The daughter had phenomenal stats but she didn't get a dime in financial aid.

Another friend's child going into architecture studies, had NM status as well, and only received half tuition (not including room and board, fees, etc.). Her parents are funding the rest but have a younger daughter graduating this year, so the younger daughter is going to community college because they can't afford another tuition. It doesn't cost much to apply, but you need to assume that they will not offer much in financial aid.
    · Reply · Share
  • sbjdorlosbjdorlo 4878 replies386 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 5,264 Senior Member
    Yes, that's what I am assuming, aunt bea. I helped a young lady get admitted last year and I know financing her education will be a huge stretch with a fair amount of loans.

I know of just one person, an exceptionally gifted musician, who got, as they told me, "basically a full ride", but he was heavily recruited.
    · Reply · Share
  • HImomHImom 33856 replies387 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 34,243 Senior Member
    We know one kid who got a full tuition merit award to USC as well as several other Us. He was an amazing kid and had started a HS business that made a lot of $$$ and drove the existing, established competitor out of business. Our D got 1/2 tuition as a NMF, but we know several NMFs and equivalents who were rejected from USC. Also know several kids who got generous merit + FAid, so feel it's worth a try! as long as the student and family are aware it could be financially out of reach.
    · Reply · Share
  • MaterSMaterS 1806 replies51 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 1,857 Senior Member
    USC is very generous with non-need based scholarships.
    One half tuition is currently offered to NMF. NMF does not guarantee admission to USC.
    If you are full pay with NMF USC is one of the best choices, except for great state flagships or attending college in the South if that appeals to the student.
    There is a great general information chances thread on the USC link.
    Admittance to USC is never a sure thing.
    · Reply · Share
  • sbjdorlosbjdorlo 4878 replies386 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 5,264 Senior Member
    For sure. He knows it's a reach school. He has safeties on the list like Univ of Colo. Colorado Springs, SDSU, and possibly Cal Baptist for engineering. I guess UCI would be a match even though his SAT is in the 75th %ile of applicants.
    · Reply · Share
  • YoHoYoHoYoHoYoHo 1970 replies31 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 2,001 Senior Member
    edited June 2014
    Op,
    Stats wise, I think that Uci will be a safety. He may even receive the $6k regent scholarship from UCI (I think that this is 1/2 off of tuition?)

Stats wise usc would be a target if he was applying to dornsife majors. USC just becomes more of a lottery when applying for video game design.
    edited June 2014
    · Reply · Share
  • DrGoogleDrGoogle 11023 replies24 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 11,047 Senior Member
    ^Not necessarily, I wouldn't count on it. CS is very impact on most UC campus.
    · Reply · Share
    I count any school that admits less than 50% of its applicants not a sure thing. Also, the fact that my son is a homeschooler/part time community college student might work against in with more "in the box" schools like the UCs.

Frankly, I know why my oldest didn't apply to UCs and I wish this son had that option: they are too big, rather impersonal, impacted, classes are large, etc. etc.

But UCI does have some things to commend it. Obviously USC has the number one game design program, thus making admissions very, very selective, I have no doubt. I guess it would come down to my son's portfolio. As I said before (I think), I helped a girl with a 1700 SAT get in, and her portfolio was a big reason why.

But of course, my original question was about affording it, should my son actually get in...
    · Reply · Share
  • DrGoogleDrGoogle 11023 replies24 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 11,047 Senior Member
    I meant not to count on Regents at UCI, I think he will be admitted.
    · Reply · Share
    Yes, I never even gave Regent a thought, to be honest. He's not a superstar student. He will show better at schools where he can submit a portfolio and write more essays and possibly interview.
    · Reply · Share
This discussion has been closed.

Recent Activity