right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
We’ve got a new look! Walk through the key updates here.

Google employee and CS demographics

Replies to: Google employee and CS demographics

• razorsharprazorsharp 5909 replies252 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 6,161 Senior Member
    I am glad Google continues to hire based on competency rather than race or gender (which would be illegal to do so).
    · Reply · Share
  • emeraldkity4emeraldkity4 34785 replies1076 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 35,861 Senior Member
    Is that supposed to be funny, ucb?

If there are way more men than women, that wouldnt be funny, but it would be accurate.
    · Reply · Share
  • DrGoogleDrGoogle 11023 replies24 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 11,047 Senior Member
    edited June 2014
    According to the news, Google is going through some training with regards to unconscious bias in their interviewing and hiring because according to a research out of MIT that diversity teams is more productive. I hope diversity also includes age. Who wants to be kick out at age 40?

I myself went for an interview at Apple when Apple stock was $16 and didn't think it was a good fit for me because the team was mostly white male interviewers. I did ask them why there was no female interviewers and they said they didn't know. So I went to a better company at the time mostly because there was more female engineers and also because the stock of that company was hotter than Apple. Had I knew then what I know now that Apple could go to $600+, maybe I would have kept my mouth shut.
    edited June 2014
    · Reply · Share
  • BrownParentBrownParent 12597 replies179 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 12,776 Senior Member
    Yes it is all very well to wear rose colored glasses. Glad to hear google is interested in examining the problem of unconscious bias.
    · Reply · Share
  • MichiganGeorgiaMichiganGeorgia 4387 replies85 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 4,472 Senior Member
    edited June 2014
    The way things are these days I'd think it would be better to find a mate that worked at different company than the one you work at. I'm not saying Google isn't great just that DH has worked at a number of large corporations and whenever there is a restructuring it can be scary for those couples that work for the same company..
    edited June 2014
    · Reply · Share
  • wis75wis75 13852 replies62 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 13,914 Senior Member
    Mathmom- my son is in the same situation (predicament?). Although, since his parents met and married in their early 30's he has plenty of time...

He majored in math and added the comp sci major. He never took computer science courses offered in HS because they always conflicted with other choices. Did local computer day camps a couple of times is all. You don't need it in HS to do it in college- more important to take the advanced math.

Two fellow women chemistry majors of the 1970's got comp sci masters (one after a PhD in Chemistry). Neither married.
    · Reply · Share
  • BrownParentBrownParent 12597 replies179 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 12,776 Senior Member
    I'm still just dumbfounded by @razorsharp concluding that since women and minorities are in short supply at google they must be just hiring the qualified people. Isn't anyone a bit surprised at this reaction? Even the excuse that women are in short supply is better, although women make up half the workforce in the US. I think it really shows how such thinking perpetuates the situation at google and tech companies,and lack of awareness that it is just another boy's club like many other industries have been in the past or are now. And it isn't just the hiring rate, it's the attrition rate.

Tech Entrepreneur and Stanford Fellow Vivek Wadhwa hilariously says Silicon Valley is "one big frat house". (Must be so inviting.) The google guy Lazlo Bock, makes nice sounds but doesn't really say anything in this PBS clip.
    http://www.pbs.org/newshour/videos/#104257
    · Reply · Share
  • DrGoogleDrGoogle 11023 replies24 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 11,047 Senior Member
    ^It's also known as Testosterone Valley. I also wonder if the Google guy Lazlo Block was paying lips service about diversity.
    · Reply · Share
  • sorghumsorghum 3494 replies109 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 3,603 Senior Member
    Maybe women and minorities want to do something more meaningful with their talents than to work for Google.
    · Reply · Share
    And some did, they went to Facebook and became COO.
    · Reply · Share
    Google is just standing as a proxy for SV. They may be better than most for all we know. Sure there are other industries to work in than tech, and other tech companies that do other things, depending on your interests and what any individual finds as meaningful work.
    · Reply · Share
  • garlandgarland 15868 replies197 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 16,065 Senior Member
    My D's best friend (female) with CS grad degree worked for Google but left for something she felt more ethically comfortable with.
    · Reply · Share
  • ucbalumnusucbalumnus 76099 replies663 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 76,762 Senior Member
    Even the excuse that women are in short supply is better, although women make up half the workforce in the US.

But nowhere near half of those who graduate college with a CS degree or self-educate the equivalent level of CS knowledge.

According to http://www.ncwit.org/sites/default/files/legacy/pdf/BytheNumbers09.pdf , the percentage of CS bachelor's degree graduates who were women actually declined from 37% to 18% from 1985 to 2010.
    · Reply · Share
    ^but that was ages ago(4 years ago), things move fast in technology. I bet you the percentage must have increase since.
    · Reply · Share
  • nanotechnologynanotechnology 2503 replies23 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 2,526 Senior Member
    Have they, though? I don't think I've ever seen more than 25% female students in my CS classes.
    · Reply · Share
This discussion has been closed.

Recent Activity