right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
We’ve got a new look! Walk through the key updates here.

Qualifying for In-state tuition

pcottenpcotten 36 replies20 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 56 Junior Member
My son is headed to college in 2 years. Don't know where, how, etc. There is no college fund. I and his mother (we are divorced) plan to pay as much as we can afford and rest will have to be covered by loans. I am inclined to push cheaper, public schools and not private schools costing 60K/year. I am also open to the idea of moving myself (I work remotely and it doesn't matter where I live) to the state where my son attends college, only for the purpose of possibly qualifying for in-state tuition after freshman year. Is that even possible? Lets say, he gets admission to Georgia Tech and we pay his freshman year tuition as out-of-state. I move to Atlanta along with him in freshman year. Will he qualify for in-state tuition in the second year onwards? Thanks.
19 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Qualifying for In-state tuition

• HImomHImom 33854 replies387 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 34,241 Senior Member
    You need to look at the specific requirements of whatever U you are thinking of trying to get residency for. A lot of the states are getting tougher to get residency in. It generally helps if the student graduates from HS wherever he wants to become a resident and the custodial parent lives there. For example, if you're thinking of GA Tech, check out their website -- residency info should be clearly set out.
    · Reply · Share
  • ShrinkrapShrinkrap 11539 replies251 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 11,790 Senior Member
    edited May 2014
    In California I think you would have to move before he turns 18. Maybe a year before.
    edited May 2014
    · Reply · Share
  • T26E4T26E4 23243 replies1031 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 24,274 Senior Member
    I am inclined to push cheaper, public schools and not private schools costing 60K/year.
    There's no reason why any adult, facing retirement in a few decades should feel the pressure to ignore this reality. There's not an iota of shame in sending your kid to only a public school.
    · Reply · Share
  • intparentintparent 36271 replies644 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 36,915 Senior Member
    I also think there is nothing wrong with your plan, but you need to look carefully at the rules for each state. I do think moving to the state as he enters freshman year of college if you haven't been the custodial parent and he didn't graduate from high school in that state isn't going to get him in-state tuition in a lot of places.

I assume you can understand why states are tough on this. They fund their public universities using taxpayer dollars, and those in-state taxpayers get a better deal on tuition.

Here is a link that you may find useful:

http://www.finaid.org/otheraid/stateresidency.phtml
    · Reply · Share
  • Mom2aphysicsgeekMom2aphysicsgeek 4464 replies55 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 4,519 Senior Member
    We move a lot and have found no consistency amg states. They all have their own laws. One state may require 12 months residency and proof that parenys moved there due to employment and not to gain instate tuition while another state may grant instate residency as soon as place of resident, employment, voting or hunting/fishing license (not kidding) of parent are established within the state.

· Reply · Share
  • thumper1thumper1 73022 replies3179 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 76,201 Senior Member
    There are two threads on the financial aid forum you need to read. They have stick pins at the top of that section of this forum.

Automatic full tuition/full ride scholarships

Colleges with low costs under $25,000 a year (that's not the exact title, but I'm sure you will find it.
    · Reply · Share
  • saxsax 5272 replies156 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 5,428 Senior Member
  • LakeWashingtonLakeWashington 8845 replies470 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 9,315 Senior Member
    Well, most states are consistent with the rule that you need to have been a resident PRIOR to enrollment. Military families and children of 9/11 victims are often given a special exemption by many states. As was said, double check the website of your target schools.

Also, start preparing a list of relatively low-cost colleges. You mentioned Georgia Tech, a STEM university, so I'll recommend that you investigate South Dakota School of Mines & Technology, a place I am familiar with. Total COA for non-S. Dakota residents is about 20K. There are other places with similar costs that have rigorous STEM programs. There are also reciprocity programs that reduce tuition costs, depending on your domicile. Such inter-state compacts exist in New England, the Southeast and the Pacific/Mountain west states. Be aware that there may be restrictions on the majors available to students participating in the compacts. Overall, it's encouraging to remember that in the U.S.A. few people pay the actual sticker price for a college education.

Finally, begin to research schools that give good merit aid to out-of-state applicants. Your child will need to score well and get superior grades. U of Alabama-Tuscaloosa is one such school.
    · Reply · Share
  • thumper1thumper1 73022 replies3179 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 76,201 Senior Member
    To the OP....another thing you absolutely need to check. Some universities count ONLY the custodial parent as the residency parent for instate purposes. AND this has nothing to do with tax filing status at all. It is the parent with whom the child resides most. For financial aid purposes, it is the parent who the child resides most with in the 12 months preceding the filing of the FAFSA. For residence, it well could vary from school to school.

Some states do give instate status to children of divorced parents if either parent resides in that state, and has established a domicile there. BUT many do not offer this.
    · Reply · Share
  • billcshobillcsho 18314 replies91 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 18,405 Senior Member
    Different schools have different policy. I don't think the residency requirement is consistent among states either. Some states just require 1 year to establish residency. In addition, for some schools, you may be qualified for in-state tuition without state residence. For instance, you may be qualified for in-state tuition at Umich if you attend high school in Michigan for 3 years and graduate there.
    I think the first thing you need to do is to assess your son's academic standing and identify some target schools. Look for merit aid opportunity and then decide where would be the best location for quality and affordable education.
    · Reply · Share
  • saxsax 5272 replies156 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 5,428 Senior Member
    North Carolina has some awesome low cost schools. I think I would look into that state and those schools.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_colleges_and_universities_in_North_Carolina
    · Reply · Share
  • mom2collegekidsmom2collegekids 83912 replies1003 discussionsForum Champion Financial Aid, Forum Champion Alabama Posts: 84,915 Forum Champion
    >>>>
    My son is a sophomore now. What is the optimal time to take ACT? Is the summer after finishing Junior year a good time to take it or too late? I suppose he can take it 2 times by October of 2015 if needed so his scores will be available to colleges. Following are test dates we are looking at. I assume the college application deadlines are somewhere in January 2016.

September 12, 2015
    October 24, 2015
    December 12, 2015

Is it OK to shoot for those three dates or is too late for him? Thanks.
    >>>

Your son is a rising junior. he should take the SAT and ACT during his junior year. the dates you have listed are too late for first tests. those are senior year dates and should be taken to RAISE existing scores.

have your son take the ACT and SAT this fall....see how he does and predict where he may qualify. what state do you and the mom live in?

If your son will be an engg major, there is no need to go OOS to GT or similar. Virtually every state has excellent engg programs. Dont be misled by rankings. new enggs get paid the same no matter where they went to college. Employer X will not pay your son more money because he went to GT rather than Cal Poly, Iowa State or whatever your state school is.
    · Reply · Share
  • MYOS1634MYOS1634 41134 replies445 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 41,579 Senior Member
    Also, run the Net Price Calculators: if you make under 100-120k some private schools may be cheaper than some public, instate options. Not the case for Georgia if your child qualifies for Zell Miller, or CA with Cal Grants, or NY, etc, but check.
    · Reply · Share
  • Gator88NEGator88NE 6396 replies195 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 6,591 Senior Member
    If thinking of moving to a state that offers state sponsored scholarships (Georgia's Hope Scholarships or Florida Bright Futures, for example), check out the scholarship requirements.

https://secure.gacollege411.org/Financial_Aid_Planning/HOPE_Program/Georgia_s_HOPE_Scholarship_Program_Overview.aspx

The residency requirements (for In-state and scholarships) may require that your son moves to the new state/school by the end of his junior year.

Good Luck!
    · Reply · Share
  • intparentintparent 36271 replies644 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 36,915 Senior Member
    Also, run the Net Price Calculators

Note that if the school requires the Non-Custodial parent profile or other financial information from both parents (you said you are divorced), then the calculator won't be very accurate.

@mom2collegekids, where did you find that quote about engineering from the OP? Don't see it in this thread... But if it is from another thread by the same poster, I agree that those dates are far too late. You want to visit and do your testing junior year. Senior year is stressful enough with college applications and all the other activities that revolve around senior year without being able to finalize your college list because you don't have your final test scores. Plus, there is very little time to study between the dates if you plan them too close together -- you don't even get scores for a few weeks, too. And kids are busy with school, etc. during the months when the tests are offered as well, so we went with an "every other testing date" cycle for our kids when planning their testing schedule so they would have time to study if they needed to take a 2nd sitting.
    · Reply · Share
This discussion has been closed.

Recent Activity