Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
The Forums will be unavailable Tuesday, June 25 starting at 9 am ET as we prepare for a major design update!

A Shocking Number Of The World's Rich And Powerful Attended Elite Colleges

191011121315»

Replies to: A Shocking Number Of The World's Rich And Powerful Attended Elite Colleges

• PurpleTitanPurpleTitan Registered User Posts: 12,685 Senior Member
    @Pizzagirl, you're cool after all, though I hope you're not implying that you're God. ;)
  • CanuckguyCanuckguy Registered User Posts: 1,171 Senior Member
    "If their application processes aren't to your liking, and they are just admitting all these unqualified jocks/legacies/rich kids, tell me again why you want your kid to go there sooooo badly?"

You can’t be talking to me. None of mine ever applied to an American school.
    To answer your question, some might hope to marry up; some might want to befriend the rich and famous; some might want to work for them; some might want to do investment banking or consulting; some might even actually want to learn.

"The only reason the Ivies etc have this "racket" is because some of you are just sooooo dying to "brand" your kids that way."

You are the only one calling it a “racket”. Harvard to me sounds more like a hedge fund with a school on the side.
  • CanuckguyCanuckguy Registered User Posts: 1,171 Senior Member
    "Also, these numbers are nonsense. Also, the idea that athletic recruits are the privileged is pretty funny--I guess a few of them are, but many are the exact opposite."

Do you remember poster MITChris? A lot of the info came from him, and they matched well with Dan Golden’s writings. As far as athletic recruits go, have you forgotten this old poster?

The Ivies recruit for as many marginal sports as they can afford (which is to say, all of them), mainly for two reasons:
    First, it allows them to give an admissions break to the affluent and especially the private school crowd.
    Second, there are numerical constraints on the aggregate amount of Academic Index discounting allowed for the athletes. The constraints are a combination of school policy, Ivy League, and NCAA rules. The more teams the school can field in sports with relatively OK academic characteristics (fencing, sailing, golf, etc) the more the allowance for running down the SAT scores of the football team.

"Plus, don't forget that the people who generally complain about "not too Asian" don't like all those blacks and Hispanics that get special treatment. "

Heard about divide and rule? I said it back then, in some of the exact same threads.

"The idea that the most selective schools are limiting blacks and Hispanics to "just enough" is untrue. They'd like to get more."

You sure they like to get more? According to James Traub, (Karabel) “candidly concedes that the Big Three ramped up the admission of black students almost overnight owing not to some midnight conversion but to terror at the rising tide of black anger and violence—owing, that is, to racial blackmail”.

Why are we acting as though these last few years of posting do not exist? I can see new posters making this mistake, but for someone who was with me there at the time, there is really no excuse.

• PizzagirlPizzagirl Registered User Posts: 40,488 Senior Member
    You know, canuckguy, if that's really your thesis (the elites don't really want more black students, they're just afraid not to), why not put your money where your mouth is and start a thread with that title?

And for someone whose kids didn't apply to American schools (I didn't know you were a parent, but whatever) you sure are upset by their failings.

Yeah, maybe Harvard IS a hedge fund with dorms. Oh well! It's not like that will really impact my day or my life, unless I choose to let it.
    "
    @Pizzagirl You don’t like my quick and dirty technique? That’s because you have a vested interest in maintaining the status quo. "

I'm the first person in my family of origin to go to a four-year, sleep away college. My dad had a GED that he obtained while serving as enlisted in Vietnam, and my mother went to night school while working full time and finally graduated when I myself was in college. Can you remind me again what "vested interest" I have in "maintaining the status quo"? Did my children's college list consist of any Ivies? (Hint - nope, not a one)
    Oh darn it - I just googled within these threads, canuckguy is the poster who's made some awfully offensive statements about me, insinuating that I'm a "pushy Jewish mother" and it's "in my DNA" to want to "protect" my kids from Asians taking "their rightful spots." Everyone who knows me IRL would be mightily amused to know this, especially when my background includes Catholic school catechism and I haven't been in a synagogue in probably half a dozen years, but whatever. My son will be particularly amused to hear this when he's currently dating a lovely young Asian woman, and my daughter will be amused given that her school has one of the highest Asian populations of any LAC. I'm now going to consider the source.
  • Erin's DadErin's Dad Super Moderator Posts: 36,457 Super Moderator
    I think this thread has run its course.
This discussion has been closed.