Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

College-Bound Student Seeking to Hear Adult's opinions

Replies to: College-Bound Student Seeking to Hear Adult's opinions

• mathmommathmom Registered User Posts: 32,045 Senior Member
    From what I see you've been mostly a B student in regular math. Engineering is going to be a challenge. MIT certainly doesn't belong on your list. You would be trying to compete with kids who have been programming computers since they were in elementary school. I'm not discouraging you from reaching high, but you really don't want to get in over your head. Even well prepared kids feel like they are drinking from a firehose at MIT.

Look for schools that practice holistic admissions and will be interested in you as a person and not just your stats. Unfortunately most colleges aren't as transparent as MIT about what the lowest score they will accept is. For example at Tufts, 25% of the student body (including my son) have a 690 or less in math, but does anyone have a 450 or the equivalent score on the ACT? They don't tell us. We do know that 99% of men and 100% of women last year were ranked in the top 20% of their high school class. http://provost.tufts.edu/institutionalresearch/fact-book/
  • bluebayoubluebayou Registered User Posts: 26,670 Senior Member
    edited June 2014
    I am going to try and raise my ACT score this fall.

There is "raising" and there is RAISING.

The issue is not your drive, but the competition levels at tippy top schools. Even if you were accepted -- the odds of which are less than being hit by lightning -- your chances of being able to graduate in four years with even a C average are not very good. (And that is why your chances of admissions are so low; any adcom would be scared that you would not be able to compete with the hundreds in their class for which math came really easy.)

Engineering is typically the most rigorous major at every college. (only architecture can be worse.) It serves the applicant and the school no good to admit someone who is at risk before they set foot on campus.)

• planner03planner03 Registered User Posts: 1,358 Senior Member
    There are acceptance threads from the past several years over on the AA forum that you can peruse. I encourage you to dig deep into those threads and see if you find any acceptances to Vanderbilt/MIT/Emory/Amherst/Tufts type colleges with stats as low as yours.. Posters are giving you some very good data here, but I have a feeling you want to cling to being that one in a million. Perhaps seeing actual real life AA results will have a bigger impact.
  • dadinatordadinator Registered User Posts: 1,439 Senior Member
    edited June 2014
    She is in the Quest Bridge Program.

So far, she has a College Prep Scholarship and she will be trying for the National Match Program.

This is a special program for low-income students and, if she is selected as a finalist for the National Match Program, she will have an excellent chance for one of these schools:

http://www.questbridge.org/about-questbridge/our-programs
  • planner03planner03 Registered User Posts: 1,358 Senior Member
    National Match Program stats from last year:

16% were Val
    81% were in the top 5% of their class
    89% had over 1200 M/R, 27% had over 1400, 25% over 2090 MRW
    79% had over 29 ACT, 25% had over 33
    Average GPA 3.86, 27% had 4.0 GPA

4 students were matched to MIT
  • thumper1thumper1 Registered User Posts: 76,061 Senior Member
    .also ..with friends that I know that have similar income situations like me and applied to 43-53 schools and paid less than 100$ , I know im not too worried about app fes with the opportunities and help I can get.

Don't apply to 40 plus colleges. You need to figure out a well balanced list that includes affordable options for you. Right now, your list is VERY top heavy given your SAT and ACT scores...regardless of your background. You need to be ver realistic about your college list...even as a Questbridge applicant.

You might end up applying to 20 schools...because of your need to cast a very wide net...and YOUR desire to include a bunch of reach schools on your list.

But 40? Where will you get waivers for applications for FORTY to FIFTY schools, and keep in mind you will also need to send the Profile to some of the more generous schools...and that isn't free for FORTY schools either.

I would strongly urge you to look at the common data set for EACH college. See where your SAT/ACT scores and GPA fall. If your school has Naviance, you should use that as well.

It's fine to reach for the stars for a few schools as long as you have some sure things on your list as well...and that means sure things that are affordable. Right now...your list really only has one sure thing.
  • SammyxBSammyxB Registered User Posts: 490 Member
    I'm not going to apply to 40+. I was just saying my friends had done that.For me I am very uncomfortable applying to many and even the number of colleges I have on my list right now makes me very uneasy.

I am quite limited since I cannot go far(long story).The schools I've selected are okay since I have family living in the area or I live in the state of the college(In this case, Georgia for UGA and GSU)

My school is brand new so they do not have Naviance as far as I know..
    I admit having a hard time finding "reach" schools( I've still yet to grasp this concept of safety,reach,match etc) since many colleges I look/research in..I just don't feel right applying to them/will feel happy going to...eh.
    edited June 2014
    Sammy...all but one of the schools on your list IS a reach school. These are schools where your likelihood of acceptance is iffy at best.

Read the above post by CATDECAL. It is spot on.
    The National College Match
    We know that many of the most talented low-income students in the country do not apply to top colleges. We also know that top colleges want talented low-income students on their campuses. The National College Match was designed specifically to help high-achieving low-income students gain admission and scholarships to some of the country's best colleges and universities.

Above is the National College Match information. Unless Questbridge has a different definition of "high achieving" than almost everyone else, this student has an uphill battle to be selected. Her standardized test scores are not high achieving, and neither is her GPA.

Planner03 above has provided the stats of the Questbridge kids for you to read.

I'm just saying...do,this...yes...but also have a realistic list of other colleges.
  • Mom2aphysicsgeekMom2aphysicsgeek Registered User Posts: 4,499 Senior Member
    You should read this thread:
    http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/what-my-chances/1658893-am-i-a-pretty-good-candidate-for-ivy-league-schools-or-just-any-prestigious-school-in-general-p1.html

She is another young lady that has high dreams, but her test scores do not match her goals. (though I suspect her actual scores are lower than yours.)

Most of your schools are reaches, so I don't know what you mean you have a hard time finding reaches. I think your list of schools is very much lacking matches. A solid group of match schools are schools where you are in the top 25%-50% of the student applicants and know that you will be able to afford.
  • FlowerMomFlowerMom Registered User Posts: 167 Junior Member
    edited June 2014
    Hi Sammy, I don't know anything about QB & College Match but i have lived in GA for 10yrs. Have you heard of Georgia Southern University, Kennasaw State University & Southern Polytechnic State University? All 3 are public, not-too-hard to get in ( admin rate,apx 56% & 64% & 70% ) & located in Atlanta & around the Atlanta area. I don't know if they participate in the QB programs or not. Southern Poly offers computer sc & IT & software engineering.
  • vamominvabeachvamominvabeach Registered User Posts: 409 Member
    In addition to the schools FlowerMom just listed - look at: Valdosta State, Fort Valley State, Georgia College, & State Univ., Mercer University, Wesleyan College in Macon, Georgia Southwestern State Univ., and Berry College. These are just a few of the many good colleges in Georgia that may be matches to your stats. Unfortunately, you just don't have the stats for Vandy, MIT, Emory, Tufts, or Amherst - those are high reaches for you, most likely no's because your stats aren't even on their lowest edge. UGA is a almost a reach as well, but I'd say give that one a shot. Georgia State is a match. You may want to also look into historically black colleges as well. Overall though, really check into your realistic, solid state school choices.
    I would also suggest you post on the Questbridge section of this forum. Those posting there are very knowledgable about the program.
    I looked at some of those colleges long time ago @vamominvabeach‌

Valdosta: It's a no.
    Fort Valley: No.
    Georgia College: Still deciding
    Georgia State University: Ok.

Historically black colleges..some I have locked at and discussed...and been checked out as a no. Long story. Rather not explain.
This discussion has been closed.