Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

College-Bound Student Seeking to Hear Adult's opinions

Replies to: College-Bound Student Seeking to Hear Adult's opinions

• SammyxBSammyxB Registered User Posts: 490 Member
    Thank you all for the advice. :)
  • Much2learnMuch2learn Registered User Posts: 4,772 Senior Member
    1. I like your attitude.
    2. I strongly recommend that you get an act prep book and practice every day to prepare for your fall retake. I would especially focus on math because you need to be better at it in engineering
    3. When others say that the academics at MIT , Vandy, Amherst, or Tufts will be challenging with a 1450, they are very optimistic. I am most familiar with MIT, and and I would doubt that anyone with this score would be able to pass the classes even if you studied 24/7. Having an 800 point sat disadvantage to the avg student is too much to overcome. Getting through would not be a challenge, it would be a miracle.
    4. There are some great schools out there that would love to have a student like you. Work with the people on the questbridge board and your GC to find one that will be challenging but achievable.
  • ConsolationConsolation Registered User Posts: 23,020 Senior Member
    If you are looking for a reach school, I suggest you consider Smith. It is one of the country's strongest liberal arts colleges, it is score optional, and it does have engineering. Besides that, it is devoted to educating young women, and prizes diversity. I think that you would find it challenging, but more realistically so.
  • momofthreeboysmomofthreeboys Registered User Posts: 16,677 Senior Member
    I agree with thumper. I think your list is top heavy even with Questbridge. I would add a few more match type schools where you might garner financial aid. You would need to drop down in selectivity which might not be a bad idea. A 23 ACT is above average and most kids can raise it 2-3 points when they take it again, but it stil makes your list top heavy - unless Georgia State is your financial and admittance safety that you are willing to attend, in which case apply anywhere else your heart desires.
  • 1012mom1012mom Registered User Posts: 876 Member
    I would not waste the QB opportunity on the institutions on your list. Most of them are holistic, but the test score gap is likely too huge for them to feel confident you would survive academically. There are QB schools with lower stats, that are less popular, and where you might have a better shot. Look at Trinity, Grinnell, Oberln, etc. Trinity in particular is a small LAC with an engineering program. Geographical diversity would be a boost at these schools. Also, strongly encourage looking at Smith, even without QB they are good on aid for interesting students.

Finally, work on the root of the problem. Test scores can improve dramatically with practice. I don't know about the ACT but there are lots of free on line resources for practicing the SAT. Also, it may be easier to just focus on two tests SAT Verbal and Math, than the larger variety of tests on the ACT. Invest some time there. See if there is a fee-waiver test prep class to take. Read the test prep posts on CC and give it a go again.
  • OHMomof2OHMomof2 Registered User Posts: 12,619 Senior Member
    Perhaps add some test optional schools? Here is a list: http://www.fairtest.org/university/optional
  • GA2012MOMGA2012MOM Registered User Posts: 5,440 Senior Member
    Juliexoxo, it is a gross overstatement to say with a 30 ACT and QB she (or anyone) would run the table.
    I will tell you with certainty that you are incorrect. My URM daughter was a QB match recipient seven years ago to one of the schools the OP is considering with a 33 ACT, and it has gotten much more competetive since then. She worked in and was part of that schools admissions committee and by no means is 30 a shoe in. It is just a disservice to lead anybody to believe they have some kind of auto admit based on your statement.
  • thumper1thumper1 Registered User Posts: 76,106 Senior Member
    edited June 2014
    This student is NOT a full pay student....unless she gets the QB nod.

And this student doesn't HAVE a 30 ACT. She has a 26 or 27.
    edited June 2014
    Questbridge kids are not full pay, the schools are the ones that provide the need based aid. QB is only the matching service, they do not pay the schools anything, quite the opposite. The schools pay QB for their service. Thumper, the student has a 23, so all this talk about a 30 magic number is moot.
    edited June 2014
    Julie, with a 23 ACT, this student would not likely gain acceptance to the schools that guarantee to meet full need. Those schools are highly competitive. HIGHLY. Their generous need based policies don't help unless you are an accepted student.

I agree....a 30 ACT is unlikely even with a retake. The first ACT was a 19.

As I said earlier, this student would be better served with a list that is MUCH less top heavy. And also, test optional schools should be considered.

The current list is so very top heavy...

ETA
    SAT: 1450 (560 CR, 450 M, 440 W)

Just took ACT and got a 23 Composite

The CR/Math SAT is 1010.
  • OHMomof2OHMomof2 Registered User Posts: 12,619 Senior Member
    edited June 2014
    QB has a few different programs. The OP has already won a college prep scholarship which could include a lot of things including a summer program, The college match is different. If a finalist is matched, there is a "full scholarship" though I don't know who provides it (I think it is the college but not positive). If not, the finalist goes on to regular decision and then FA is totally up to the college.
    QB provides the recruitment efforts for the partner schools to find low income, high achieving students that would never know that going to those kinds of schools was even possible. They then provide the first screening of all the applicants then forward those who make finalist status to the schools that each student has indicated they are interested in. Yes, students could apply directly to the schools themselves, but the QB application is MUCH more detailed than the common app and gives more of a complete picture of the applicants, their hardships growing up if any and what they have overcome despite them.
    Julie. As noted by GA above, the Questbridge application is far more detailed. And especially gives these students a more focused way of detailing any obstacles they faced growing up...and things they have overcome to make them viable college candidates.

To be honest, without the ability to detail these things, a student like the OP (although I think the OPs scores are STILL too low) wouldn't get past the first screening at these highly competitive schools.
    Julie, also the National College Match allows students to apply to up to 8 partner schools ED. In addition, finalists get to apply to any partner schools with no application fee. Some will waive their fee to non finalists as well. If chosen for the match, you find out even earlier than ED through the schools. In 2007, my daughter was notified on November 30th and was happy to enjoy the rest of her senior year stress free knowing she was going to her #1 choice school.
This discussion has been closed.