Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

E-mail from Test Prep Company - please weigh in...is this true?

2»

Replies to: E-mail from Test Prep Company - please weigh in...is this true?

• PeriwinklePeriwinkle Registered User Posts: 3,508 Senior Member
    I suggest you make your child take the free, full length practice SAT test on the College Board's website. If he scores well enough, I wouldn't bother with test prep for the first SAT. For argument's sake, let's say an improvement of 300 points triggers a review, if your child scores at or above 2100, you'd have nothing to worry about. If it's 300 points per section, if he scores 500 or better on each section, there's no need to worry.

As to the statistical review, I gather patterns of test answers are very distinct. Different questions have different degrees of difficulty, too. So if the first test shows the student doesn't understand perimeter or statistics, and misses all the difficult verbal questions, it's suspicious if a month later he understands everything he did not understand earlier.

The email sounds like an attempt to scare you into buying their services. Don't leave the SAT until the last minute. Arguing that your child should prep before he takes the SAT, because what if he does poorly on the first, but much better on the second, and his scores get flagged, and he has to take it again... There are too many "ifs" in that chain.
  • AnnieBeatsAnnieBeats Registered User Posts: 1,958 Senior Member
    My D went from around 1700 to 2100. Not a single peep from anyone
  • Much2learnMuch2learn Registered User Posts: 4,772 Senior Member
    I think it must be the amount of time between the tests in addition to the score change that is considered. D had 1940 as a freshman and a 2330 in October of her Junior year, and it was not flagged.
  • atomomatomom Registered User Posts: 4,657 Senior Member
    $50+ per test is far from a "free swing at the ball." Get on-line practice for free. Get a whole book of practice tests for $20. Don't pay for the real test more than once. Prepare well, and it's "one and done." And no worries about stuff like this. Yes, they are trying to sell services, but you can prep cheaply at home. (I often hear about teachers/parents/counselors telling students to take the test once without prep to "get a baseline, to see where you stand, to find your starting point, for practice, to see what you need to work on, to get a feel for it," etc, etc.. Just illogical and a waste of $, imo.)
  • ucbalumnusucbalumnus Registered User Posts: 76,630 Senior Member
    edited June 2014
    atomom wrote:
    $50+ per test is far from a "free swing at the ball." Get on-line practice for free. Get a whole book of practice tests for $20. Don't pay for the real test more than once. Prepare well, and it's "one and done."

But preferably one each of SAT and ACT in junior year, so that the scores are available when making the college application list. Scores available before senior year may also enable opportunities like https://vcsaweb.ucr.edu/gap/index.aspx .
  • mathyonemathyone Registered User Posts: 4,225 Senior Member
    Most students can get a good idea of their "baseline" score with a practice test. No need to waste money and put a bad score on your record. I'm puzzled as to where the idea even came from, because I'd never heard of this idea before I got to this site and saw so many kids saying they would take the test first and study for it later. When I was in high school, kids expected to give it their best shot on the first try, and taking the SAT again was regarded as something you would only do if you messed up and really felt you should have done better.
  • BrownParentBrownParent Registered User Posts: 12,776 Senior Member
    Yes students report problems here with scores flagged from time to time. Recently someone had the increased score dismissed with no time to retake and ended up with UC offer rescinded, if memory serves.
This discussion has been closed.