right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
We’ve got a new look! Walk through the key updates here.

Overbearing mother in college selection

Replies to: Overbearing mother in college selection

• ucbalumnusucbalumnus 76099 replies663 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 76,762 Senior Member
    At most colleges, college courses taken before high school graduation do not change your application status from frosh to transfer (but check each college to be sure).

It is usually advantageous to apply as frosh for students in your situation, since scholarships are usually much better for frosh, and some schools' financial aid is worse for transfers.
    · Reply · Share
  • twoinanddonetwoinanddone 21930 replies14 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 21,944 Senior Member
    No, you are a high school student so should apply as a first time student to college. In Florida it is possible to get an AA degree at the same time as your high school diploma, and you'd still apply as a first time college student.

Have your guidance counselor help you. You also need to apply for Bright Futures as a high school student, so don't graduate before you do that.

You have lots of options. Take your time and look at the colleges that interest you, talk to your mother about finances, see what kind of aid you can get from the schools that interest you. Gather all the information, but be prepared to compromise a little, then your mother will too. You might not go to FSU like your mother wants, but you might not go OOS like you want. LOTS of other options.
    · Reply · Share
  • alijasminedalijasmined 92 replies22 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 114 Junior Member
    LOL my guidance counselor doesn't quite know how to use a computer and just learned this year (from a student) how to use the commonapp
    · Reply · Share
  • compmomcompmom 10579 replies76 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 10,655 Senior Member
    edited July 2014
    Have you looked at Colleges that Change Lives website (or book)? Eckerd and New College of Florida are both in Florida, but for these small liberal arts colleges you would have options in many states. Look into them...at least read the websites and share with your mom...

Generally I think dual enrolled students apply as freshman but that may also depend on whether you have done a full years' worth. Check with the colleges themselves or talk to your community college. Clearly your high school counselor is not a good source of info.
    edited July 2014
    · Reply · Share
  • calla1calla1 1968 replies26 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 1,994 Senior Member
    As someone upthread mentioned, the courses you need to be careful about are those taken AFTER high school graduation, during the summer before college. Those are the courses that might change your status to that of a transfer. Anything taken prior to high school graduation doesn't change your freshman status.
    · Reply · Share
  • shoboemomshoboemom 1753 replies305 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 2,058 Senior Member
    It sounds like you are willing to work and save to pay toward your schooling in order to be able to go OOS. You might consider going to FSU and then paying for your housing on your own.
    · Reply · Share
  • thumper1thumper1 73022 replies3179 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 76,201 Senior Member
    LOL my guidance counselor doesn't quite know how to use a computer and just learned this year (from a student) how to use the commonapp

If the GC is new, I can see how she might not be familiar with the common application which also had some changes this year. But really YOU...the student, should be filling out the common application, not your GC.

I don't believe at all that the GC doesn't quite know how to use a computer. Sorry.
    · Reply · Share
  • jpm50jpm50 1224 replies25 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 1,249 Senior Member
    > I don't believe at all that the GC doesn't quite know how to use a computer.

I agree.
    Also, a person's fluency with computing skills is no indication for how much they know about the college application process. Rejecting your GC can hurt you in the long run.
    · Reply · Share
  • intparentintparent 36271 replies644 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 36,915 Senior Member
    @shoboemom makes a very good point. It would probably be a lot cheaper for you to go to FSU and cover the housing cost differential to not live with your brother than to go out of state. You might propose that as a compromise for your mom (first see if she will pay the housing differential, but then see if you can figure out how to pay yourself if she doesn't go for that). I am sympathetic for your desire for independence during your college years, just not with you giving up the investment your mom has already made and good deals in-state. The colleges you are talking about out of state are not an academic improvement on your in-state options.
    · Reply · Share
  • alijasminedalijasmined 92 replies22 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 114 Junior Member
    That is a fair deal I guess @shoboemom‌

My GC is 65+ and her knowledge does no go beyond the school's scheduling system and her email. I think guidance counselors are supposed to have a common app account or something and that's what the student set up for her lol. She is a fairly decent GC when it comes to other things ex. programs and scholarships.
    · Reply · Share
  • intparentintparent 36271 replies644 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 36,915 Senior Member
    Is she new? Because GCs have to make sure that teacher recommendations and transcripts get submitted, and that stuff is all automated through the Common App these days. I suppose there MIGHT be a way for them to snail mail the stuff to colleges, but what a headache. Is there only one GC for your whole school?
    · Reply · Share
  • thumper1thumper1 73022 replies3179 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 76,201 Senior Member
    Oh please. Your GC is probably very capable of doing their portion of the common application online. I seriously doubt she is sending things snail mail.

If she is good with scholarships...why not talk to her about scholarships for the OOS schools you have in mind?
    · Reply · Share
  • xiggixiggi 24569 replies872 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 25,441 Senior Member
    The GC is not relevant here. Most are utterly clueless and this is obviously the case here. The OP helped herself by finding this site and gained two dozen uber-GC. Let the GC do what they have to do and are capable of doing, and that is getting the transcripts to the right schools on time. The rest is entirely in the hands of the OP, or better said ... to her fingers at the keyboard. She can find it all with ease.

And then come here for discussion with an open mind and ears. Telling her to pay attention to her GC is not what a rudderless student needs to hear. Why do you think she is confused?
    · Reply · Share
    edited July 2014
    Xiggi. Agreed. But my point...the GC is likely capable of doing HER part with the common application submissions.

And the OP says the GC is good with scholarships...and the OP clearly NEEDS scholarships to attend these OOS schools...so why not ask the GC?

And then search here! Lots of good info regarding college scholarships, and the like...which this poster has already received on her OTHER thread in the financial aid forum.
    edited July 2014
    · Reply · Share
  • saintfansaintfan 8182 replies92 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 8,274 Senior Member
    Agree - not all guidance counselors are cut of the same cloth and not all districts have the same expectations. Our district (usually ranked very highly in those lists) just got Naviance last year which CC people have been talking about for eons as if everyone has it. IMO it is just best to know and accept the limitations of the GC then plan to step up and be responsible for those elements before deadlines. If you are applying to private schools or publics that care, you may need to walk your recommending teachers through the process of submitting recs to the common app as well. That in mind . . . don't assume limitations that may not exist. Talk honestly with your GC and get the facts so you can do your own planning.
    · Reply · Share
This discussion has been closed.

Recent Activity