right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
We’ve got a new look! Walk through the key updates here.

reputable schools for the public relations field?

fieldsportsfieldsports 481 replies69 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 550 Member
This is not my field at all, so I hope professionals in the field can throw out the names of some schools that are known to be good for PR. We need "ordinary mortal" schools, the places that take kids with a 3.3 to 3.5, with 600 on each part of the SAT.

Geographically, the range is VA, MD, DE, DC, NJ, PA, NY, CT.

The major is probably "communications" at most schools, with a PR emphasis. The right school would probably have a student chapter of PRSA, but I'll check into that detail myself, if people who know the PR field can just throw out some names.

I know it's a field that many people reach by circuitous paths, with varied majors. But the student in question is not a candidate for the best schools, understands that, and wants a more applied, concrete curriculum. (Are you more likely to reach the heights of the field if you start out as an English major at Williams? Maybe. But that ain't gonna happen . . . )

Thanks!
4 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: reputable schools for the public relations field?

• BestfriendsgirlBestfriendsgirl 931 replies4 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 935 Member
    I notice you didn't include WV, but Marshall University in Huntington has an excellent public relations program. It's consistent with the stats you listed and OOS tuition, room and board is in the neighborhood of $25,000. Definitely worth looking into.
    · Reply · Share
  • TorveauxTorveaux 1451 replies10 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 1,461 Senior Member
    Its public relations. Any state school with have a 'reputable' program of some sort.
    · Reply · Share
  • boysx3boysx3 4990 replies174 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 5,164 Senior Member
    Check out the schools in and around DC--PR is a field in which internships are of primary importance and DC is an area rich in those kinds of internships.
    · Reply · Share
  • stradmomstradmom 4934 replies50 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 4,984 Senior Member
    http://prsa.vendorguides.com/profile/vendorlisting?what=&where=&custom_fields=all&pageno=5&pgsz=80

That's PRSA's list of programs with active PRSSA chapters. My experience as a Communication prof is that internships and other experience (volunteer? paid?) are crucial to landing that all-important first job. PRSSA can help with that.
    · Reply · Share
This discussion has been closed.

Recent Activity