Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Should I petition eligibility for a scholarship?

irlandaiseirlandaise Registered User Posts: 720 Member
edited November 2014 in Parents Forum
Hi, I figured by posting here I might get better answers from adults instead of other high-schoolers.

Anyway, there is a set of high-value renewable scholarships being offered by the university I'm going to attend next year. The qualifications are XX ACT or equivalent SAT and at least a certain GPA. I've taken the ACT three times, and my highest has been two points away (note: I still have not received my Oct. scores).

On the scholarship manager, it is not specified what is considered an equivalent SAT to XX, and conversions are generally pretty rough, aren't they? However, on other pages of the college website, it is mentioned that XXXX (CR+ M) SAT is considered equivalent to XX ACT. I received my SAT scores yesterday, and while I did very well, my CR+M fell 20 points short of what they consider to be equivalent to XX ACT.

My question is, should I send an email to the department of scholarships asking if I could still be considered? My score is still in the appropriate percentile, especially when you consider the SAT score with writing, which I did the best on. Conversions from ACT to SAT aren't an exact science, and I don't think that missing it by a mere twenty points should disqualify me completely, especially when my GPA is well above the scholarship's minimum. I will be taking the SAT next month (which is cutting it close anyway), but obviously I would rather not if it ends up that the dep. of scholarships agrees to consider me anyway. Also, this school doesn't super-score anything.

If this seems petty or whiny, I understand, and maybe I do need one of those "reality checks" you all do so well here. I would love to hear your thoughts! Thank you!

Replies to: Should I petition eligibility for a scholarship?

• Erin's DadErin's Dad Super Moderator Posts: 36,424 Super Moderator
    It can't hurt to ask, but don't be surprised if the answer is no.
  • blossomblossom Registered User Posts: 9,584 Senior Member
    It doesn't cost to send an email.

But I think you will do better with a statement of the facts- i.e. your actual scores and GPA, and NOT tell them that conversions are rough, percentiles are more important than raw scores, etc. This is a university and they likely have a statistics department and they likely know what a percentile is.

doesn't hurt to try.
  • bp0001bp0001 Registered User Posts: 232 Junior Member
    Try, but the answer will most likely be no. You are right, 20 points is not very meaningful, and may be as little as one question. For the college, lowering the standard is not just about you. How many other students would be eligible for a scholarship if the standard is lowered. There is a limited amount of money, and the standard is set where it is for a reason.
  • irlandaiseirlandaise Registered User Posts: 720 Member
    @blossom‌ Yeah, I definitely wasn't going to argue conversions or anything, that's just how I presented it here, but I understand where you're coming from
    @bp0001‌ and @Erin's Dad‌ I agree, I'm honestly not expecting this to work out in my favor. I guess it just seems annoying that I was so close, but I do understand that cut-offs exist for a reason!

Regardless, the offices are closed for the week, so I won't be contacting just yet, if at all. I do still have October's ACT score I've yet to receive and the possibility of next month's SAT, so I'm just going to be hoping for the best til then! :)
  • PizzagirlPizzagirl Registered User Posts: 40,488 Senior Member
    "SAT is considered equivalent to XX ACT. I received my SAT scores yesterday, and while I did very well, my CR+M fell 20 points short of what they consider to be equivalent to XX ACT.

My question is, should I send an email to the department of scholarships asking if I could still be considered?"

I don't see what possible case you have. Let's put it this way. If the ACT requirement was 32, and you got a 31, would you still send a letter asking if you could still be considered? No, because "close enough" isn't good enough. So why would you do the same thing if your SAT is, in this case, the equivalent of a 31? They are specific for a reason. I honestly wouldn't bother.
  • thumper1thumper1 Registered User Posts: 76,018 Senior Member
    Is this an automatic scholarship based on stats? If so, you won't likely qualify. The schools need to draw a line someplace, and your current scores are below the line.

If this is a scholarship you apply for, and the stated minimum is above your current scores, just apply, and wait and see. You might get the award and you might not. I on,y say this because my DD applied for a scholarship that had a stated CR/Math minimum of 1250. Hers was 1230. But this was an application award,mand she completed essays, submitted LORs, etc. she was surprised to get the award.

I don't see the point in sending a letter...at all.

edited November 2014
    This is not an automatic stats-driven scholarship. I have already received the highest automatic scholarship. This is a competitive scholarship that are awarded based on numerous factors, not just stats.

However, one can't just apply as you have to be "matched" through the scholarship manager. My issue is that on every other SAT to ACT conversion website, I find that my composite equates to XX ACT. On the scholarship manager, it says specifically "XX ACT or equivalent SAT" - which I roughly have.

After some searching on the college's website, I found a reference to that scholarship saying "XX ACT or XXXX SAT (CR+M). In that case, my CR+M is 20 points less. I'm only debating contacting them because it isn't a cut/dry ACT+GPA=Full tuition (or whatever). It's a XX ACT or equivalent SAT + GPA + Resume + Essay + Interview.

(Obviously this line of thinking isn't something I'd contact them with, it's just what I'm currently pondering).

But I'm mostly just thinking out loud and continue to appreciate all your thoughts. I hope this doesn't seem too... I don't know, childish?
    I understand, thanks for all who have commented - I think I've decided how to proceed. Thanks again!
  • thumper1thumper1 Registered User Posts: 76,018 Senior Member
    There you go! Good luck with the scholarships!
  • mom2collegekidsmom2collegekids Forum Champion Financial Aid, Forum Champion Alabama Posts: 84,899 Forum Champion
    Congrats!!!
  • KnoxpatchKnoxpatch Registered User Posts: 351 Member
    Awesome!
This discussion has been closed.