right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
We’ve got a new look! Walk through the key updates here.

Youthful binge drinking does NOT lead to becoming alcoholic

barronsbarrons 23029 replies1951 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 24,980 Senior Member
15 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Youthful binge drinking does NOT lead to becoming alcoholic

• ucbalumnusucbalumnus 76108 replies663 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 76,771 Senior Member
    That does not make binge drinking desirable.
    · Reply · Share
  • HImomHImom 33856 replies387 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 34,243 Senior Member
    If you're talking about the poster I'm thinking of, didn't he die young, as a student, related to his alcohol use/abuse?
    · Reply · Share
  • DmitriRDmitriR 838 replies0 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 838 Member
    If you're talking about the poster I'm thinking of, didn't he die young, as a student, related to his alcohol use/abuse?

It seems kind of gruesome/distasteful to me to be gloating about posthumously proving another CC poster wrong after his tragic deah.
    · Reply · Share
  • lookingforwardlookingforward 32215 replies336 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 32,551 Senior Member
    Gee, I thought you meant another poster "expert."
    I'm not usually a fan of any study that seeks to provide a softer touch about real problems. Too much drinking is too much, whether occasional or habitual. The risks can remain the same.
    · Reply · Share
  • Madison85Madison85 10290 replies407 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 10,697 Senior Member
    edited November 2014
    The article says binge drinking does NOT make you an alcoholic. Would that be proving the deceased poster's stance RIGHT?

@DmitriR
    edited November 2014
    · Reply · Share
  • mom2collegekidsmom2collegekids 83917 replies1003 discussionsForum Champion Financial Aid, Forum Champion Alabama Posts: 84,920 Forum Champion
    My sister, a therapist, has often commented that most college-party-kids do not become alcoholics. There are a large number of young people that can over-indulge here and there during that period of time and then grow up and live normal non-alcoholic lives.

But...this is also true:

>>>
    Of course, the more frequently you binge, the more likely you are to be among that small percentage.
    >>>

Genetics and predisposition are also a factor.
    · Reply · Share
  • straightshooterstraightshooter 261 replies1 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 262 Junior Member
    Yep raise your glasses, binge drinking doesn't kill you, just damages your brain, organs and self respect. Cheers. Smh
    · Reply · Share
  • pelicularitiespelicularities 163 replies5 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 168 Junior Member
    I remember this poster that you speak of - both of them, actually... so I went and hunted down that old thread.

Not that I'm going to bat for him or anything, but back then you made the same point, barrons:
    http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/discussion/comment/1977280/#Comment_1977280

And he addressed it in his response just after, which in fact seems to corroborate the article you posted. Binge drinking by itself might not correlate with future alcoholism, but binge drinking frequently (what he refers to as "heavy drinking") seems to show a correlation.

I can't take the discussion further than that - I don't remember what else you argued about, though I remember following the discussion avidly - but at first glance I don't see a contradiction.
    · Reply · Share
  • DmitriRDmitriR 838 replies0 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 838 Member
    The article says binge drinking does NOT make you an alcoholic. Would that be proving the deceased poster's stance RIGHT?

Maybe. I was interpreting it as "youthful binge drinking does not lead to becoming an alcoholic" (the title) and the first post saying " We debated this at length with a former active poster who claimed otherwise." as saying that the 'former active poster' had claimed something in contradiction to the study. I could be wrong though, I wasn't around for the original debate.
    Binge drinking among young people is an important problem in itself, regardless of whether it leads to future alcoholism.

Agreed. You don't have to be an alcoholic to suffer from binge drinking.
    · Reply · Share
  • cptofthehousecptofthehouse 28056 replies56 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 28,112 Senior Member
    Did something happen to Mini? I have missed him. Please PM me if you have info. Though I disagreed with him at times, I got to really enjoy his posts, as I do a number of folks' here, whether we agree or not.
    · Reply · Share
  • lookingforwardlookingforward 32215 replies336 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 32,551 Senior Member
    I thought he got lost in the "new" CC format, as some others did.
    · Reply · Share
  • cptofthehousecptofthehouse 28056 replies56 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 28,112 Senior Member
    The problem with all of this is that the data is still sparse. It takes a while to "catch" the significant mass of those who qualify as alcoholics. Also, one has to define the parameters of binge drinking. Binge drinking, yes, has been defined, by if one binge drinks once a year, is that going to contribute to one probability of becoming an alcoholic? How much binge drinking can start increasing the odds, if that?

IMO, alcoholics often are binge drinkers in that there are those who will drink up as much as they can in a short period of time. It often becomes a dance of semantics.

Whether it contributes to becoming an alcoholic or not, the dangers of binge drinking are acute enough that in itself is something of concern. Alcohol is drug and when you take a lot in a short period of time, you are asking from trouble. Anytime you compress the time on something that can be dangerous, things can happen fast and get out of control before one can even act.
    · Reply · Share
  • ChardoChardo 2963 replies129 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 3,092 Senior Member
    Being in a big party fraternity long ago, I can tell you I knew many binge drinkers who grew up to be healthy non-alcoholic adults.
    · Reply · Share
  • poetgrlpoetgrl 13231 replies103 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 13,334 Senior Member
    Binge drinking is the cause of all alcohol related deaths in young people. As an addictions counselor I don't believe binge drinking causes alcoholism, but the already binge drinking may already be alcoholic. Still many kids die from drinking related accidents and overdoses, and all of them were either binge drinking or driving with someone who was. It's not like alcoholism is the only possible bad outcome of binge drinking. I mean kind of so what ?
    · Reply · Share
This discussion has been closed.

Recent Activity